Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Going from PRS-505 to PRS-T1. worth the change?

Hello all,

I currently have a sony PRS-505 since february 2008. It has served me VERY well and i still love to use it, but i am thinking about going for something a little more "modern" or updated" like the PRS-T1.

Now, my question, is it really worth it or not? I currently only use my sony reader for.. well, reading, and i dont really have a need for Wifi or any other fancy features. The only thing i dont like about the PRS-505 is the button layout, i feel like the kindle buttons for changing pages are really good (the ones on the sides), but the kindle doesnt support EPUB without conversion, so i was thinking maybe the touch screen could be very nice feature to use.

Also, saddly, there are no cases that can be attached to the main body of the reader, as in the PRS-505, i think it is because it is made of plastics, while the 505 is completelly metallic.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, very much worth the change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't have a T-1, but upgraded to a 650 after being very happy with my 505 for a couple of years. And I can say without a doubt that the change was well worth the upgrade. For me, I love the easy dictionary access and the touch screen interface. And the clarity of the screen is of course another plus. I also like the fact that the 650 supports full justification, and doesn't display the page numbers in the right margin. (All these benefits would apply to the T-1 as well.) The T1 doesn't have a metallic case as you point out, but the plastic case has the advantage of being lighter.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I had a 505 prior to my T1 and have never regretted 'upgrading'. You may well be surprised and actually use the WiFi from time to time. Even if you're simply sat in McDonalds and fancy getting a book from your local library.

The processor is faster on a T1, so although you've gotten used to the time lag when changing pages (you may not even notice you press the button whilst still reading) its nice to have almost instant page turns.

The biggest benefit is, in my opinion, as a result of the changing of build materials. Plastic is lighter than metal, the T1 clearly feels lighter if you have it in your pocket.

The case issue isn't such a problem. I trialled a few before finding one I'm happy with (a nice nappa leather A-frame type). And although I realise that a lot of people see a reading light as an essential, I'm used to reading books without a reading light. I did that before I had my reader, and still do it now. If it's to dark to read, turn the light on! :P
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
thank you all for the fast replies, now i am completely convinced about this purchase.

thanks again!
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The T1 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the really fine 505.

I'm still happily stuck on my 950, though.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How about the font presentation? I have 505 and a few Kindle, 505's fonts have "higher resolution look" than Kindle, easier to read. (Their screen are same resolution, I don't know why I feel that way. Yeah, even compared to the Kindle 3 which has darker font.) How does T1 font presentation compares to 505?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I recently got a T1 when I had to retire my 505 because the battery died... I like the font choices on the T1, there are 7 choices (without rooting) and 8 choices of size which is much more than I had on the 505. I'm using Univers Next on the second smallest size and the letters look very good to me...on the larger font they are still very crisp and well defined.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
The T1 is a great ebook reader.

PROS: It is lightweight due to its plastic shell, has the ability to be rooted for some Android apps, touch screen operation, has a great eink screen, and WIFI.

CONS: Like the 505, it has a glass-based eink screen that requires the user to minimize flexing of the frame. You should get a sturdy book cover for screen protection. The T1 does not read all of the formats that the 505 does (eg. LRF). The glossy plastic frame of the T1 is a "fingerprint" magnet.

..have owned the PRS-500, 505, 300, and 950 models...
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
e-leigh
e-leigh began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Sony PRS-T1
I've never had a Sony before, but did have the original nook with 3g. I recently picked up a T1 on sale and I am so glad I got it. I do a lot of library book reading and really enjoy going right to the library via the T1 and bypassing my computer. Also think the touch screen works well, and the dictionaries are fantastic. Also love holding on a word or highlighting a phrase and getting automatic lookup plus options for google, wikipedia, etc. The bookmarking and note taking is so much easier than the nook, I actually use those functions now. I find the white bezel to be fine. The screen did sustain a small scratch, same on one of the buttons. I've got it in an mCover Kindle Touch cover now which fits nicely, including the stylus. Overall, I'm thrilled.
e-leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
How about the font presentation? I have 505 and a few Kindle, 505's fonts have "higher resolution look" than Kindle, easier to read. (Their screen are same resolution, I don't know why I feel that way. Yeah, even compared to the Kindle 3 which has darker font.) How does T1 font presentation compares to 505?
I was able to compare my T1 screen with a working Kindle Touch screen at Walmart today. My husband (not a reader) and I both agreed that the screen looked better, whiter, and the text crisper, darker than the Kindle Touch. That may have been due to the ugly bezel color of the Kindle Touch, as the screens and text look about the same when comparing my T1 and my K3.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
kjohn73
kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505, PRS T1
I use both, but if I had to choose, it would be the T1, for sure. Very easy to use. I read from both, using whichever one is free to load a book on to.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I upgraded from my own much-beloved 505 to a T1 and I'm extremely happy I did. It's a great reader - I've never regretted it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
My experience is proving to be slightly different from the others here.

I have PRS-505 and 950. PRS-505, bought when it had come out, has lasted without any trouble. And someone actually STOOD on my 950! (my favorite )

I had no option but to upgrade to T-1. While I am happy with the looks and the features, for me , this has proved to be the most unreliable of the three I have used.

It stalls and at times is unresponsive. Some of the pages appear "thin" and one can see the previous page beneath (this is a new problem and has happened only a few times.) Sometimes when I press the "return" button the screen goes totally black for 5-6 seconds before it reaches it's destination. It has also developed a tiny, star-shaped crack. This is not very distracting but is troubling.

The problems I have listed do not happen a lot but collectively they are disturbing and already has me looking for alternatives. Maybe I ended up with a faulty piece!
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
I am using an SD Card and have about 1500 books on it. Could this be the reason for its slowness (albeit occasional)?
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote