Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Kniebolo
Kniebolo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Conversion solution to have the best layout ?

(sorry for my bad english)

I would like to convert pdf to mobi but when I use Mobicreator or Calibre the Layout is absolutly not respected.

Is it a better solution to use an OCR like Omnipage ?
And is there not a way to detect the titles according to the font size to create a table of contents?

Thank in advance,
Kniebolo
Kniebolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
pdf is not the best start for conversion.

why not read pdfs on the kindle as they are ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
pdf is not the best start for conversion.

why not read pdfs on the kindle as they are ?
The Kindle does not support any form of PDF reflow, so the only way to read most PDFs is to zoom in and then pan over the page. This is, needless to say, not the optimal way to read a book.

Unfortunately, as you say, PDFs can rarely be converted to other formats with a terribly satisfactory result; some degree of manual editing will generally be required.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Kniebolo
Kniebolo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ok Harry, so it's normal if my result is bad. I will try to lay out in word but it may be tedious for large books. :y

Geoff, read the pdf format is not obvious on the Kindle 3. It's probably a better buy the Kindle DX for those who have a large collection of pdfs
Kniebolo is offline   Reply With Quote