Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Anyone keep track of their wanted or wish list in Calibre?

Right now I have a sep. Excel spreadsheet where I keep the author and title of any books I'm watching out for. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it seems like I could create entries in Calibre for these that just wouldn't have an actual file attached. Then I could give them a special tag so I could always generate a catalog that includes, excludes or only processes these books. Anyone do this or tried it?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Right now I have a sep. Excel spreadsheet where I keep the author and title of any books I'm watching out for. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it seems like I could create entries in Calibre for these that just wouldn't have an actual file attached. Then I could give them a special tag so I could always generate a catalog that includes, excludes or only processes these books. Anyone do this or tried it?
I use "Create Empty Book", set the Name, Author (series) and Tag as [Placeholder].

You can even download Metadata and covers against the record.

To exclude fron the display, set a filter: format:true, that show only records with at least 1 format saved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, thanks....format:true is a good tip...

don't suppose there is an easy way to create empty books automatically from my author and title colums in my spreadsheet? That would be nice.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
CGIGB
CGIGB began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ
Importing CSV/XLS/Etc

Ditto. I recently started using calibre to catalog my e-book collection and I love it. So much so that I considered using it to help my wife catalog her physical books. With an added column (I think I figured that out) it would be easy to sort physical and e-books.

I found the command line option for adding an empty book record. But I could not find commands in the forum for importing a list of books from a spreadsheet type record.

I know with the powerful command line interface that there must be an option. Is it an option I'm missing or does this require heavy scripting?

If the further information helps I'm thinking of creating an access database with a simple form to enter in the ISBNs, then import the records into calibre to download the metadata and covers.
CGIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm planning to add an entry to the add books menu that will allow you to input a list of ISBNs and calibre will automatically create empty record with correct metadata for you from it.

As for importing CSV/XML you have to know how to script.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm planning to add an entry to the add books menu that will allow you to input a list of ISBNs and calibre will automatically create empty record with correct metadata for you from it.

As for importing CSV/XML you have to know how to script.
Ooh...that could be interesting. Before I switched pretty exclusively over to ebooks, I entered all my physical books into shelfari and goodreads. Which means I can create from those sites a CSV and just take the ISBN's out. So one you add this entry, I could bring in all my ISBN's for my physical books. And then like CGIGB, use a tag to indicate it is physical as opposed to ebook or use format:false.

Doesn't help me right now with my wish list though