Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
WWDC mugging victim gets replacement iPad, word from Jobs

http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/06/...ome.exec.says/

Quote:
Apple has reportedly given special treatment to one Chinese developer, who was attacked last week while attending WWDC. Known online as Stone, the developer works with Tencent, responsible for China's popular QQ messaging client. While riding a bus in San Francisco Stone was mugged, suffering injuries including a broken rib and marks on his face. An iPad brought with him was bent and cracked, although technically still functional.
The tablet was replaced for free at an Apple Store by a Genius worker, who is said to have felt sorry for Stone when he brought his iPad in for repair. The developer is later reported to have received personal e-mail from Apple CEO Steve Jobs, simply wishing him "safe travels home."
I'm surprised the SF store had iPads in stock during WWDC.

Quote:
San Francisco has had recurring problems with theft of Apple hardware, likely owing to the city's cluster of tech companies, and the proximity of Apple in Cupertino. An assistant district attorney, Brian Buckelew, recently claimed that "probably half" of the robberies in the city involve iPhones.
It is those white headphones
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm wary about using my iPad and such while on public transit and such. You're holding something theft-worthy and your attention is focused on content, so your guard is down.

A friend had her iPhone grabbed from her on BART, the Bay Area's rail system. The thief grabbed it as the train pulled into a station and he darted off. Good thing she didn't get hurt.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm wary about using my iPad and such while on public transit and such. You're holding something theft-worthy and your attention is focused on content, so your guard is down.

A friend had her iPhone grabbed from her on BART, the Bay Area's rail system. The thief grabbed it as the train pulled into a station and he darted off. Good thing she didn't get hurt.
I've had to give several demos of my iPad to curious people on BART sitting next to me lately...while trying to avoid showing my email/twitter/etc.. settings. But yeah, it is a bit weird.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I've had to give several demos of my iPad to curious people on BART sitting next to me lately...while trying to avoid showing my email/twitter/etc.. settings. But yeah, it is a bit weird.
I've been using my iPad mostly in private for such reasons. I don't wanna get mugged or give demos. I just wanna read and be left alone. To that end, I'm looking forward to tablets becoming common and cheaper.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
You all want to try moving out of wherever you are living!
Being worried that so one will rob you because you have an iPad or iPhone is CRAZY!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Being worried that so one will rob you because you have an iPad or iPhone is CRAZY!
I wouldn't mind moving to the UK, but your immigration laws prevent that.

When visiting London, I take the same precautions that I do in any major city.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
It's the same in any big city. Here in Vancouver, where muggers say "please" and "thank you, eh?" theft is just as bad as anywhere else for things that are in high demand and easy to grab.

I hide all valuables in my double-locked trunk routinely and the only reason I still have a GPS unit is because it's hard to remove. I've had my window smashed just to get at the loose change in my coin tray while at a hockey game.

Right now, the few times I've had my iPad in busy public places, it has been firmly in my grasp--wouldn't dream of using it on a stand--and I chose a seat well away from the doors.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see someone come out with a security case for the iPad that attaches to your wrist
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see someone come out with a security case for the iPad that attaches to your wrist
Gotta say that I value my wrist more than an iPad.

Makes me think of the poor sucker who lost part of a finger because a thief yanked an iPad from him as he was leaving a mall in Denver. His finger got caught in the strap of the Apple bag. It was at an upscale mall in Denver, too.