Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Font type / size question ..

Hi all /wave

Im in the process of tring to reformat / edit a lot of books and have a basic question.

WHAT is the ideal font type / size to format the text in ( I use Word and save in RTF for archive etc ).

Reason im asking is that ive edited a lot of books formatting them using Ariel font, size 12.

Ive just recently tried to load in some, they convert over fine and I move em to my bookwise and start to read and have the following issue:

1) I get a couple of strange formatting marks at the front of paragraphs, not the major problem tho.

2) My books wont change size INSIDE the ebookwise ( selecting the increase / decrease text size ), it stays the same size with only a small shift in margins.

I know this isnt the way it SHOULD be as Ive read some other books and im able to increase the font size to make them easier to read.

So, basic question is, what font would you recommend and what size ?

I do use glasses and wouldnt mind a slightly larger font size when I read.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi askyn,
which program are you using to make your .imp books ? depending on that, there is an option to specify making 2 font sizes available in the file ; it can be deselected, in this case you cannot resize the text.

if you tell us more about your book creation process we can give you more precise info.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was using the ebookwise librarian as a quick and easy conversion.

I just dropped the rtf into the import directory, edited the book info ( on import into ebw librarian ) to ensure title / auther / type.

Then imported them over, and moved them to my reader.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Input font size shouldn't matter. After all, you can import TXT files, which have no inherent font size. I import HTML files, with a style section setting basic text to x-large, and even turning off the header for chapter starts. I get sixteen lines per screen plus header, the biggest you can get without going to image mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	`Burns - So Dark the Night.gif
Views:	542
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	30181   Click image for larger version

Name:	`Rucker - Postsingular.gif
Views:	528
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	30182  
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
askyn
Addict

shrug not sure then must be something in how the ebw librarian does its import.

Just starting to use book creator, but it seems to do the conversion ok.

So I guess ill be using it to create my imps
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
font irregularities

As far as I know the font type doesn't transfer, it just gets changed to the default.

The funny marks and stuff, that seems to be fairly common problem. I think its a result of "smart formatting" and/or non-standard characters that the reformatting program doesn't really know how to deal with and so makes it a ? or a #

At least that is what I have found.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I use bookdesigner for the most part and tell it to use the "Small" font in the preferences which works best for my eyes.

Also don't seem to have any funny marks often, just when converting from a format like PDF which is more trouble then it's worth for the most part.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote