Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
llhots
llhots began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin (Bebook)
Language and Encoding Question

Hi everyone,

I just got my Hanlin and am trying to work out a few subtle points:

One of the things I've liked less is the inability to have control over line spacing, margins and fonts with the default firmware.
I downloaded both Calibre, largely for RSS feeds (GREAT program so far-- donated 20$ to show some support), and also downloaded Openikpot (also really good and will support them as well).
My problem is the following: I have several RSS feeds that I've converted into both MOBI and EPUB using Calibre's default conversion.
The encoding worked fine when I was using the default Bebook firmware in bothformats. My issue is really around control of the font and spacing.

The EPUB works well in Openinkpot, but unfortunately the index doesn't work; I can't jump from section to section. I can highlight each section, but when I press the appropriate button to jump to the section, the screen goes black and returns to the index.

Conversely, when I open MOBI format from RSS feeds, I get some strange characters, like boxes and the "TM" symbol (but the index works fine).

I posted on the Openinkpot group, and one good suggestion was that I test the MOBI format to see the encoding using FBReader. Sure enough, the encoding is in UTF-8, but the default language is set to "Other".

I realize this may be an Openinkpot issue, but I was wondering if it is possible to set the default language in the conversion using Calibre. I looked around this site and wasn't able to find the answer.

I'd appreciate any insight any of you may have.
And thanks again to all of you involved in the software and firmware. Really is great to see it in action!
llhots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can set the language in MOBI files with the command mobi-meta --language (part of calibre). Support for managing languages in the GUI is still some time away, I have other higher priority things on my plate.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert