Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Problem Connecting Kindle Touch to WiFi Hotspot

Using a Kindle Touch with 5.6.1 firmware, I am unable to connect to a free WiFi hotspot where other people are not having problems.

I was able to connect a few weeks ago at this hotspot, but for the past two weeks, the Kindle fails to connect. I have no trouble at other hotspots (like ATT-Starbucks). At this Hotspot, Safeway, one is first re-directed to a sign-in page (captive portal) where one only needs to tap "login" which acknowledges acceptance of the terms of service.

After I tap login, I get a message that the SSL certificate is invalid (or some term like that, I don't rememeber exactly). There is some problem with the SSL connection that other people are not having.

I am wondering if there is an SSL certificate for this hotspot that has been stored on the Kindle from an earlier session that is causing the problem. If so, does anyone know where these are stored? Is it in the "browser" folder? I have been reluctant to delete the two files that are in subfolders of "browser," because I don't want to lose the bookmarks. Where are browser bookmarks stored?

The two files within the "browser" hive of subfolders are file__0.localstorage and ApplicationCache.db.

If this is not a problem with a stored SSL certificate, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? TIA.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Make sure that the time on your Kindle is correct. It should be, if you have been connecting to wifi all along.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Make sure that the time on your Kindle is correct. It should be, if you have been connecting to wifi all along.
That will also cause issues with https: connections, which seems the problem the OP is having.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That will also cause issues with https: connections, which seems the problem the OP is having.
That's a good possible explanation. I have seen secure connections fail on desktop computers, because the date was incorrectly set, but I don't think it's the cause of the problem here.

For one thing, The Kindle doesn't know the date. It only knows the time of day. I don't think the wrong time will cause https problems. In any event, the time is correctly set, and I am able to connect to all other https sites except the one in question. However the Safeway hotspot is the only one I've used that forces me to its own webpage to click a disclaimer of liability before accessing the internet. I don't know if there would be similar problems at other hotspots with "captive portals."

My hunch is that a previously downloaded SSL certificate for the problematic site looks invalid to the Kindle. That's why I asked if anyone knows where SSL certificates are stored, so I could delete it.

I have deleted 2 files in the browser folder, but I haven't been back to Safeway yet to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for trying to help.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Have you tried alternative browsers like Skipstone and Midori (requires jailbreak)?

(Also how did you get fw 5.6.1 on the Kindle Touch? )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
For one thing, The Kindle doesn't know the date. It only knows the time of day.
I'm afraid you're wrong about that; the Kindle most assuredly knows the date. It has to know it in order for the "Most Recent" sort order on the home screen to work.

What the Kindle doesn't do is offer a GUI interface to set the date; it will be set correctly whenever the Kindle syncs to Amazon's servers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote