Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You are right, of course. I guess I was thinking of the case with a giant footnote popping up at the bottom of a page and how it might be handled. So much depends on whether the footnote is worth the trouble or is just a citation. Right now I don't know there is a solution. On a page, you can glance to the bottom, but in a e book, you don't know what you are going to get.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
You're correct. I mentioned this in post #4, , but I think you have pointed out more clearly the advantage of keeping them in the same chapter.

Maybe this thread should get closed, so that it doesn't eat up any more space on MR's server/s.
You are too kind. I knew someone had, and was too lazy, and too irritated about another thread, rather than this one, to go look. My bad.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe someone ought to open a thread about the philosophy of creation of ebooks that could go on endlessly and contain all discussions of that sort. That would allow the other threads to deal with substantial issues.

Since there are no perfect devices, it is quite difficult enough to figure out real and sometimes ugly ways of making the readers display the books.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #49
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Maybe someone ought to open a thread about the philosophy of creation of ebooks that could go on endlessly and contain all discussions of that sort. That would allow the other threads to deal with substantial issues.

Since there are no perfect devices, it is quite difficult enough to figure out real and sometimes ugly ways of making the readers display the books.
mrmikel:

I think that that is an excellent idea. It would be far better than this sort of scatter-shot approach. ;-)

Hitch
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe we need a "Best Practices for Best Practices" thread?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #51
mrmikel
Color me gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You get my vote!

It would be very useful for students stuck in courses with this sort of focus. (Reminds me of the movie, "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield. "Where are we going to build this factory?" Comment from Dangerfield:"Fantasyland.")
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #52
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
There was a thread back in April: "List of epub formatting "don'ts":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211831

Although seeing how that turned out, it reached a point where many were attacking other's DOs and DON'Ts. Still some good tips in there, just that some get lost in the bickering back and forth.

I still stand by all my PNG statements.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #53
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You are right, of course. I guess I was thinking of the case with a giant footnote popping up at the bottom of a page and how it might be handled. So much depends on whether the footnote is worth the trouble or is just a citation. Right now I don't know there is a solution. On a page, you can glance to the bottom, but in a e book, you don't know what you are going to get.
No problem, pop up a window like showing the explanation from a dictionary, if too much, just add pages in the popped up window. Now all ereader can handle dictionary, so no tech problem on popping up notes.

Footnote, also no problem, there's a book view mode in MS Word from 2003, all footnotes are arranged properly on each page, the problem is if the ereader developer(such as Adobe) would write the code in the software.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #54
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eping View Post
Footnote, also no problem, there's a book view mode in MS Word from 2003, all footnotes are arranged properly on each page, the problem is if the ereader developer(such as Adobe) would write the code in the software.
Footnotes can be a real problem even in paper books. Not the occasional two-line footnote, of course, but the scholarly/critical editions, with sometimes tens of footnotes per page, some of them several pages long (even with reduced font size), and with footnotes inside footnotes inside footnotes... Pop-up notes would be perfect in this case, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #55
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Footnotes can be a real problem even in paper books. Not the occasional two-line footnote, of course, but the scholarly/critical editions, with sometimes tens of footnotes per page, some of them several pages long (even with reduced font size), and with footnotes inside footnotes inside footnotes... Pop-up notes would be perfect in this case, though.
Very simple, it's problem on paper, but not problem on screen, easy for programming.
Just set a limitation of lines of footnotes, such as 5, (or percentage of screen height). If footnote exceeds 5 lines, then at the end of footnotes add ...(more) and a small button or link, for user to pop up a window to read whole footnote.

Still, the problem is, they just don't do it. ( I mean the software developer for ereaders, such as Adobe)
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #56
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Very simple, it's problem on paper, but not problem on screen, easy for programming.
Just set a limitation of lines of footnotes, such as 5, (or percentage of screen height). If footnote exceeds 5 lines, then at the end of footnotes add ...(more) and a small button or link, for user to pop up a window to read whole footnote.

Still, the problem is, they just don't do it. ( I mean the software developer for ereaders, such as Adobe)
Well the epub3 rendering on Kobos does exactly that.
Epubs can be 'koboified' (which triggers the use of the
epub3 engine) using a Calibre plugin
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

It's not quite that simple. What the reader does to display (or even "page" the larger) footnotes would certainly not have to be very complicated--I agree. But there does need to be something done on the part of the content creator to indicate to the rendering engine that THIS is a footnote. It can't just popup-ify all links it encounters after all (think ToC). So there's going to need to be some sort of consensus about what the code looks like the represents a footnote link ... as well as a consensus on how the target code (the part that's actually going to be popped up) should be formatted. So while I agree that it doesn't have to be complicated at all, it would probably be best if it was standardized in some manner.

Of course that won't happen. All devices/apps will handle pop-up footnotes slightly proprietarily (as we're already beginning to see), meaning content creators will have even more work involved in providing consistent source code for wide-spread distribution of the exact same content.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2013 at 01:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #58
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's not quite that simple. What the reader does to display (or even "page" the larger) footnotes would certainly not have to be very complicated--I agree. But there does need to be something done on the part of the content creator to indicate to the rendering engine that THIS is a footnote. It can't just popup-ify all links it encounters after all (think ToC). So there's going to need to be some sort of consensus about what the code looks like the represents a footnote link ... as well as a consensus on how the target code (the part that's actually going to be popped up) should be formatted. So while I agree that it doesn't have to be complicated at all, it would probably be best if it was standardized in some manner.
There does seem to be some hope for standardisation of footnotes in the ePub3 specification.

See http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu...html/notes.php
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
There does seem to be some hope for standardisation of footnotes in the ePub3 specification.

See http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu...html/notes.php
I'd like to dare to hope. I really would. But then I remember the standard defined for page headers and footers in ePub2 so long ago.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #60
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd like to dare to hope. I really would. But then I remember the standard defined for page headers and footers in ePub2 so long ago.
Mhmpf.

I've been sitting here cogitating upon how I could ever politely address this without sounding like the bitter cynic I am. ;-) However, methinks the likelihood of this being adapted, across the board, is slim. That's my entire contribution to the subject. I fully expect to be pulling my hair out, by the handfuls, before Spring of 2014, having to use one type of coding for footnotes on X, and one for Y, and a third for Amazon. My seriously devout prayers to the God of Bezos is that they refine media queries, it's my only hope not to take up permanent residence in Bellevue.

Hitch