Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How about just keeping the images the same size they are?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
GIF images in MobIPocket very definitely have a 64KB limit (actually slightly smaller than 64 KB) and I assumed that this was a PRC record size limit. If a GIF image is larger than ~64 KB, mobigen.exe, reduces its size (in pixels) until it fits in 64KB.

I don't know if larger JPEGs are allowed, or if MobiPocket just increases the lossyness(?) until it also fits in 64 KB.

See Images in MobiPocket, which includes references to MobiPocket documentation and to other threads on this issue.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-28-2007 at 05:27 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about just keeping the images the same size they are?
That is what I am doing now. But there is probably some issue with the format that causes 600x800 images to nor work. So therefore I had to shrink them a bit. But this problem is on the todo list.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a version 0.02 available at http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiperl/

Table of contents and links works. You had to change href to a filepos to get it to work on the Gen3.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took a look at my (DRM-free) LIT files converted to MOBI via ConvertLIT and mobigen.exe -jpeg. Any JPEG that was originally larger than 64 KB was reduced to less than 64 KB in the MOBI file, but the image dimensions in pixels was maintained. So I think it is the case that MOBI only allows images < 64 KB.
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I took a look at my (DRM-free) LIT files converted to MOBI via ConvertLIT and mobigen.exe -jpeg. Any JPEG that was originally larger than 64 KB was reduced to less than 64 KB in the MOBI file, but the image dimensions in pixels was maintained. So I think it is the case that MOBI only allows images < 64 KB.
That is a limitation of the Palm database size, which is the fundamental Mobi format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So Mobigen recompresses the jpeg image until it hits a physical size of 64k or less? So even if that makes the image fuzzy, it won't matter as long as the 64k limit is maintained right? That is crazy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #53
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
So Mobigen recompresses the jpeg image until it hits a physical size of 64k or less? So even if that makes the image fuzzy, it won't matter as long as the 64k limit is maintained right? That is crazy.
Yes, although many JPEGs are already smaller than 64 KB, and so far the examples I have seen don't look bad at 64 KB. For GIF images, MobiPocket instead makes the image itself smaller until it fits in 64 KB (which is a different loss in quality, arguably much worse). MobiPocket's primary legacy issue is the Palm format, but Plucker uses PDB and it allows larger images by splitting them across multiple records.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #54
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will look at this because it might be that 64 KB is max if you want it to work on all devices. It might be that larger images works on the Gen3.

Do you have any good example lit file with a large image?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I also have a lit file which had a 600x800 cover image but this image was not in the manifest so mobigen will fail to us the bigger image and you will get the small image. My script searches the unpacked files for a big cover image and uses that even if it is not in the manifest. You can also specify on the command line a file to use as cover image.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #56
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I will look at this because it might be that 64 KB is max if you want it to work on all devices. It might be that larger images works on the Gen3.
I just checked. A jpg file with size 138462 works on the Gen3. But it does not work on my Palm T5. So if you generate your mobi files for a specific device you can have larger images. That might actually explain why the Kindle uses another file extension.

I will probably let my script use large files and print warnings that the file will not work on some devices and have a flag to generate mobi files with records with a max size of 64 KB.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, it's a consequence of the fact that the image has to fit into 64k. It's not really a terribly onerous limit for the type of images you tend to get in eBooks - they are generally under 64k anyway.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #58
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I just checked. A jpg file with size 138462 works on the Gen3. But it does not work on my Palm T5.
Was this the only image in the file? I don't know much about the PRC format, but I would expect record length violations to only work for the last record in the file.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #59
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Was this the only image in the file? I don't know much about the PRC format, but I would expect record length violations to only work for the last record in the file.
No, it was the first record after the compressed text that was to large. Then there were 6 records with smaller images after that. When I try to load this on my palm it says "corrupt database".
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #60
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Version 0.03 is now available.

I have fixed so that all records are smaller than 64K. I resize the image data by choosing a suitable jpeg quality. If I find a real example were the image quality becomes too bad I will try to find a solution. So if anybody have a real example of a lit file where mobigen -jpeg fails to produce something that you can read I would really like to have a pointer to it.

The guide table of content now works so in FBReader I get the table of content button.