Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #76
atze
atze began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Bugs holding me back, any other suggestions?

Hi All,

I'm new to eReaders and this forum.
I have recently seen a few readers at JB and started to like the idea.
I played with the various models they had on display and I found the PRS-T1 to be the easiest to use.
I like the buttons.
I like that it has all the different dictionaries and the touch screen appeared more responsive than those on the other readers there.
I have learned that the PRS-T1 handles more formats than the Kindle and that is a good thing, because I don't believe in being restricted in where I get my books. Yes, I am aware that there are converters, but that seems to be too much unnecessary fiddling.
I just want to go to an online shop and get the book I want and be able to use it without having to go and massage the format to something the reader can handle.

Of course $178 is a bit of money, so I asked for a discount and was offered it for $165. Seeing that Sony US has dropped it to $129, I was expecting something better here in OZ too, especially with our strong Dollar. Well I haven't found anything better, but came across this thread.

Now I have found out that the reader has these firmware issues, which is enough reason for me not to buy it.
I've been following this threat for a few weeks and continue to look at Sony's website to see whether there is a firmware update, but no!
This leads me to believe that Sony's support is not all that flash either.

I'm going interstate next week and would like to take an eReader with me.

What other eInk readers would you be able to suggest, that have similar features as the Sony, but that may be more reliable?
Features I like are:
Buttons
Wifi
Touch Screen
International Dictionaries
Support of epub, PDF and other formats

Thank you all,

Atze
atze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #77
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Atze

Welcome to Mobileread.

If you purchased the T1 you might run into the page turning issue, but then again you might not. Sony have indicated their engineers are looking at the issue as well.

You have two other touchscreen ereader options available to you currently. The Kobo Touch, sold by JB and Collins or the Kindle Touch, sold by Woolworths and DSE

Both would be excellent alternatives.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #78
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by atze View Post
I've been following this threat for a few weeks and continue to look at Sony's website to see whether there is a firmware update, but no!
This leads me to believe that Sony's support is not all that flash either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
There's a new Sony PRS-T1 Firmwareupdate out!

Version 1.0.02.10280 can be downloaded and installed through the Reader-Software.

More in German here: Firmwareupdate Sony PRS-T1; Version 1.0.02.10280

Maybe it helps with the crashing issues.
Perhaps there's some hope after all!
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #79
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I installed the update today and I will report back if I still see the bug.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #80
Gundisalvus
Gundisalvus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi guys,

I am also new to ereaders! Actually I came across this forum because I was searching for honest reviews on the new Sony PRS-T1.

First of all, the PRS-T1 seems to be the best ereader avaible on my country for its price and features, but now I have found out that many users are facing firmware issues...
Now I have doubts if I should purchase this device or not, so I need your advice if possible:

- I will use the PRS-T1 mostly to read ebooks and manga. I have seen on youtube some demonstrations of people using it to read manga, it looked great and unlike other ereaders, you could actually zoom in the image. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me a feedback about reading manga on the PRS-T1 (is it really fluent, pratical and fun as it seems? Or people have experienced freezing and crashes while reading manga as well?).

- I live in Portugal. Can I buy ebooks from the Sony store through the PRS-T1 or this function is not available in Europe? Even if it is not possible to do so yet, it is not a major problem to me because I do not really care about the online store functionality. I have no problem in uploading the files to the ereader directly from my computer and Google books options should be available even though I live in Europe, right?

- Are you guys optimistic about Sony costumer service? Do you think there is a high chance that Sony will upgrade the current firmware and solve the freezing\turning page issue? Because even though many people are reporting this problem, I am still tempted to buy the PRS-T1 :\ Kobo and Kindle are good as well to read ebooks, but when it comes to read Manga the PRS-T1 seems to be way superior. And I also believe that Sony will solve the problem in the near future with an firmware update.

So what you guys think? Should I buy the PRS-T1 or is it too risky? Would it be more wise to buy another ereader?

Thank you all!
Gundisalvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #81
atze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
Perhaps there's some hope after all!
Hi All,

thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I just had a look at the German site and this is what it says about the software update:
Diese Aktualisierung für den PRS-T1 (1.0.02.10280) betrifft Folgendes:
-Durch das Update wird der Download bestimmter E-Book Dateien ermöglicht.

Translation:
This update for the PRS-T1 (1.0.02.10280) addresses the following:
-This update will enable the download of certain E-Book files.

Lets hope they fixed some bugs too and simply omitted to mention that.

Last edited by atze; 11-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #82
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I installed the firmware update this morning and my reader just locked up. It had been doing well for over a week since I had done a factory reset and began using Calibre instead of Sony's software. I should have left well enough alone.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Atze

Welcome to Mobileread.

If you purchased the T1 you might run into the page turning issue, but then again you might not. Sony have indicated their engineers are looking at the issue as well.

You have two other touchscreen ereader options available to you currently. The Kobo Touch, sold by JB and Collins or the Kindle Touch, sold by Woolworths and DSE

Both would be excellent alternatives.
The Kindle Touch is a very poor alternative to Sony. The problem being file format. If you buy a Kindle, you'll get Mobipocket and then when Sony gets things fixed and you buy a Sony, you'll have all these Mobipocket files that will need converting to ePub and it's not always a smooth process. It's best to get a reader that handles ePub natively.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #84
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That may be the case, but he asked for alternatives, so he was provided with them.

We have multiple ereaders in our house including a Kindle. Calibre handles all that conversion transparently.

I still love my Sony ereaders though, even my T1
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #85
atze

Hi there,

The PRS-T1 really looks nice, I wish Sony fixed the firmware.

I've done some more reading about the eReaders that are currently available and yes, every one of them lacks some of the things that make the PRS-T1 attractive. I pretty much discounted the Kindle Touch in my original message as it lacks epub format.

If I knew for certain that Sony will release a fix I would get a PRS-T1 today and just use the buttons to turn pages until the fix is out.

However, Sony hasn't even updated their thread (https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=11588) to indicate whether they have now confirmed the issue, (they only confirmed that they have received reports) whether they are working on a patch and if so when they expect to release it.

It has been three full weeks now and I find that very poor customer service!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #86
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
@atze I know exactly how you feel
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #87
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Well I haven't seen the page flipping issue since the update but I did have the screen pop up a dictionary lookup and freeze. I was able to hit the Home button and do my new favorite work-around of putting the reader to sleep two times in a row. The reader has gone from being useless to just disruptive and annoying.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 11-18-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Typo
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #88
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony daily edition 950
Hi guys,

I am like some of you, I really want to get a T1 but this issue makes me just very uneasy. Can someone tell me how much time we have before it is too late to ask a refund. I am planning a few trips soon, and I would really like to have one instead of packing books. But if I do get the freezing problem and I want to be able to return the reader if Sony does not issue a fix.
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
That may be the case, but he asked for alternatives, so he was provided with them.

We have multiple ereaders in our house including a Kindle. Calibre handles all that conversion transparently.

I still love my Sony ereaders though, even my T1
I have noticed that when converting ePub to Mobipocket, it can be hit or miss as to using Mobipocket Reader or Calibre to convert. The best way to do it is to use both and pick the better looking Mobipocket file to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #90
sabredog

Not struck a formatting issue with Calibre mobi->ePUB as yet. I do buy a lot of Amazon titles and convert those with excellent results so far.