Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
sarvold
sarvold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Borders.com books on my kindle

I am a new Kindle user. I would like to know the process of how to download books from borders.com to my kindle. Could anyone give me the steps to follow?
sarvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
First, you'd probably need a reader application unless you can directly download the books to a pc (mac). Then presumably they have an encryption scheme (drm) that would have to be stripped. You can investigate Calibre with appropriate plugins that can strip drm (I'm not up on Border's books or methods). It is inappropriate to discuss details of removing drm from ebooks on this forum and you have to determine your own issues as it may be illegal in some countries. But for more info you may Google for Apprentice Alf Blog and check for certain TOOLS.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Borders uses plain vanilla Adobe Digital Editions ePub files.

Only for the First Book
-------
1. Create an account with Adobe Digital Editions and register it.
2. Download Calibre and install it.
3. Install the plug-in to remove ADE ePub DRM (google Apprentice Alf blog for instructions)

Then for Each Book
------------
4. Buy book from Borders and download it into Adobe Digital Editions. Make sure you can read the book in Adobe Digital Editions
5. Open Calibre if it isn't running. Click "Add Books" Browse to find your book on your computer
6. Plug in your Kindle via the USB cable (later you can learn to send wirelessly if you wish)
7. Wait for Calibre to recognize the Kindle
8. Highlight book in Calibre and click "Send to Device"
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Better yet, just buy the books from Amazon. They are probably much cheaper at Amazon anyway. I've priced my ebooks from all the major retailers including indies and Amazon generally is the cheapest of all.

Borders has declared bankruptcy and have stated publicly it was because of the super low prices for eBooks at Amazon.

Finally, every month Amazon makes selected best sellers FREE. You will have to check their site each month. All books published prior to 1924 are free anyway at Amazon and they offer every book shown in the Library of Congress.

All Amazon ebooks (not Caliber touched) have all your highlights and notes available to you at their site for copying to Forums, chat rooms and personal documents.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People have many reasons for shopping around to different stores and it actually is very often price. It pays to know how to utilize the tools to put books from Store A on Device B.

Borders ran a bunch of Gift Card sales at the end of last year and I bought some (net it brought the cost of many books below Amazon). Gift Card sales are pretty much the only way to get a sale on an Agency Priced book.

Then I received a couple more as gifts. I had planned on spreading them out over the year but decided to use them up when the news of impending Bankruptcy hit the WSJ.

Not Borders but I frequently buy from Kobo (same ADE ePub) due to their discount codes. There is one for 30% off right now. 2 Weeks ago it was Fictionwise with a 55% off code.
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Not typically simaru since the advent of the book publishing monopoly called Agency Pricing there is little difference in the book prices between Amazon and Borders so from a readers standpoint it makes little difference in prices, the troubbles are going to be one of technology.

Another method that I have found is my Blackberry has software to read books from Amazon, Borders, Barns and Nobles and Mobipocket so it makes little difference to me where I get my books from. I don't believe that the Kindle will read books from Borders thus you will need to do what abookreader tells you to do.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
sarvold
sarvold began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you for all the input on my post. Yes I also have a gift card to use and that is why I was trying to download to my kindle.
sarvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
vamsundar
vamsundar began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Hi,

May i know the format of vanilla ePub files? Is differ from normal ePub 2.0 files?

Can any one please give an idea for vanilla ePubs....

Thanks,
Sundar.
vamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Borders book all have DRM (and are now fulfilled by Kobo, who adds DRM even to free titles that come via Smashwords).

Unless the DRM is removed, you cannot convert the files to read on a Kindle.

EPUB without DRM can be converted via the program Calibre.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsundar View Post
Hi,

May i know the format of vanilla ePub files? Is differ from normal ePub 2.0 files?

Can any one please give an idea for vanilla ePubs....

Thanks,
Sundar.
Sorry, Sundar. When I said "vanilla" up there I was using an American expression to indicate that their is nothing special about the DRM that is added to the ePub file that you download from Borders/Kobo. It is just regular Adobe Digital Editions DRM. You could compare this for instance to Apple or Barnes and Noble, which use an ePub file but then have their own DRM.

You need to remove the DRM and then covert the file to a Kindle format. Most people here use Calibre + the Plug-ins to accomplish this.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Apprentice Alf can/will be your friend here.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote