Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I do see many people who have either already migrated to a tablet, or are planning to migrate to a tablet when they next replace their computers. The tablet, for them, is in fact replacing the laptop, but it doesn't replace their "real" computer. They're just getting a cheaper, more powerful desktop and using the tablet to replace most of what their laptop is used for.

To me this makes sense. I had a laptop because it was portable, but I always did most of my work on my desktop while the laptop got used for web browsing, chatting, email, and other simple tasks it was way too powerful for. The benefits of the laptop are lost to me now as tablets get better at replacing the everyday computing people do while not at their desks.

Of course, laptops and portable "real" computers will never be dead, but it's easy to see from the way people around me (and myself) are adopting new technology that the laptop will largely be replaced by a desktop/tablet combo... at least until some new form factor arrives to replace it.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I've never heard this before. Whats the difference? Is it just semantics?
No, it is about the size-- the first "portable" computers were the size of suitcases with tiny CRT screens in them. Then came portable computers with LCD panels that were a mere 10 pounds or less and were small enough to hold on your lap. Then, some time in the early 1990s, manufacturers started producing portable computers that were around the size of a notebook-- and the term that stuck was notebook computer. If a portable computer has dimensions of around 8.5x11 inches or smaller, it is a notebook, not a laptop.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Dodge
Sparks fly off my pages!
Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No I don't think the laptop is dead. I like my laptop because I can do everything on it - programming, writing, surfing the web, and I like the size. The only drawback is weight. But it is superior for now
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
No I don't think the laptop is dead. I like my laptop because I can do everything on it - programming, writing, surfing the web, and I like the size. The only drawback is weight. But it is superior for now
My MacBookPro (it's for work, honest!) is only about 5.5 lbs. Not too shabby. CD drive and everything. If only it were not a Mac...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
No, it is about the size-- the first "portable" computers were the size of suitcases with tiny CRT screens in them. Then came portable computers with LCD panels that were a mere 10 pounds or less and were small enough to hold on your lap. Then, some time in the early 1990s, manufacturers started producing portable computers that were around the size of a notebook-- and the term that stuck was notebook computer. If a portable computer has dimensions of around 8.5x11 inches or smaller, it is a notebook, not a laptop.
A laptop to me is a device that runs an operating system (Microsoft 7). I can control what programs (from a large variety of sources) are loaded and run on it. I can also choose to remove stuff I don't want.

In the ipad I do not have this choice. I can select apps (all provided by Apple) as long as I pay for them and run them by Apple's rules. I choose not.
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
A laptop to me is a device that runs an operating system (Microsoft 7). I can control what programs (from a large variety of sources) are loaded and run on it. I can also choose to remove stuff I don't want.

In the ipad I do not have this choice. I can select apps (all provided by Apple) as long as I pay for them and run them by Apple's rules. I choose not.
What you're talking about is a walled garden, and has nothing to do with the definition of a laptop.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Laptops and iPads = apples and oranges
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
What you're talking about is a walled garden, and has nothing to do with the definition of a laptop.
My laptop contains "walled gardens" of my choice.

the ipad is a "walled garden".
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post

No, not so much.
I agree! Can I upload PhotoshopCS4 and Lightroom2 to an iPad? Can I insert my SD cards and edit photos on an iPad? Can I store 60 GB's of photos on an iPad?
Does an iPad have Excel or Word? Bridge? Illustrator?
Just sayin. Maybe for some and the reasons they use laptop/tablet are the same, but I know for many it's simply not comparable.

Last edited by Belle2Be; 02-02-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: confused terminology...
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I think that's what Girl Read Write was saying, Belle2Be. You can't compare iPads and laptops because they are used for different things. They CAN be used similarly, but laptops are more workhorses and iPads are more show ponies.

I don't want an iPad because I have an aversion to touch screens. However, I do see them as an all around entertainment device. Laptops CAN be that, but can also do a lot of work.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I think that's what Girl Read Write was saying, Belle2Be. You can't compare iPads and laptops because they are used for different things. They CAN be used similarly, but laptops are more workhorses and iPads are more show ponies.

I don't want an iPad because I have an aversion to touch screens. However, I do see them as an all around entertainment device. Laptops CAN be that, but can also do a lot of work.
Ugh you're right, I had a brain fart. Sorry Girl Read Write!
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #27
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
My laptop contains "walled gardens" of my choice.

the ipad is a "walled garden".
If it's your choice, it's not a walled garden. And yes, Apple is renown for being a closed system.

Quote:
Yep. iPad =/= laptop. It's a tablet.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #28
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
If Apple makes iPads, does Orange make laptops?
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
No, it is about the size-- the first "portable" computers were the size of suitcases with tiny CRT screens in them.
The first generation of "portables" normally had gas plasma screens - mono screens where the text glowed orange on a black background. I had one, made by Olivetti. It was about the size of a large briefcase.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
I do see many people who have either already migrated to a tablet, or are planning to migrate to a tablet when they next replace their computers. The tablet, for them, is in fact replacing the laptop, but it doesn't replace their "real" computer. They're just getting a cheaper, more powerful desktop and using the tablet to replace most of what their laptop is used for.
I do my "real work" on a laptop (a Dell "XPS Studio 15", with a 15.6" screen). The iPad for me is a portable entertainment device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote