Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
MartynV
MartynV began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cheaper alternative to Waterfield Exo SleeveCase for Kindle 3?

Hi,

Please can anyone help?

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle 3 to replace my Sony PRS-300 and would appreciate any suggestions regarding a case which would accommodate a Kindle 3 which is inside the official leather cover. Such a case would be needed to protect a Kindle whilst inside a briefcase on a long commute. The official leather cover doesn't provide enough protection on its own as the sides are open and there's little impact protection.

The Waterfield Kindle Exo SleeveCase looks promising but it costs £49 in the UK which seems much too expensive for a simple design. Hopefully, someone can recommend a cheaper alternative which provides similar (or better) protection.

Many thanks,

Martyn
MartynV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I am going to be getting the one from body glove. It's a hard case, has a bulit in stand and seems to protect well although I don't have it yet, the reviews are good

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
MartynV

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The Body Glove case looks like it's intended for a Kindle 2 so I'm not sure if it will work with a Kindle 3.

Many thanks,

Martyn
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you do get a case or sleeve, make sure that it will fit your Kindle with cover. You do not want to be carrying around a naked Kindle because once you remove it from the case or sleeve, it will have no protection at all. So a drop could be worse without a cover.

And one quick question, have you considered getting a 650 so you don't have to convert all your existing eBooks if you even can? All the ones you have for your 300 would work as is on the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've traveled extensively AND skied with Kindles 1 and 2 in an Oberon case. they have been in backpacks, briefcases, and purses and never suffered any damage.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
How about one like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/62527426...eruvian-walnut
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
MartynV

Hi JSWolf,

Thanks for the reply. I thought about getting a 650 but like the idea of being able to get books 'on the go' with the Kindle. In the UK at least the range of books offered by Waterstones is perhaps less than Amazon.

Kind regards,

Martyn
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
MartynV

Hi Kindlekitten,

Thanks for the reply. I've just had a look at the Oberon cases but the Kindle 3 model seems to cover the shift and back buttons. Does this cause you difficulties in using the Kindle 3 when it's inside the Oberon case? Is there a shiny rivet on the inside of the Oberon case which could eventually rub on the Kindle? Oberon cases are eye-wateringly expensive in the UK (£89) so I might import one from the USA.

Kind regards,

Martyn