Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Aura One... great screen, horrible software

So I added a few articles to Pocket that I wanted to read later. That might be a little hard to do on my awesome Aura One since it absolutely will not connect to my network. Just for fun, while it was trying to connect and asking me for my password which it already knows and refused to accept and me seeing if powering off and on might help (It didn't. It still can't connect.), I grabbed my Glo HD running the very same firmware, turned on the WiFi, waited the 5 or so seconds for it to connect and synced. This reader might be great for reading on, but it's a big step backwards in terms of the software that they can manage to make run perfectly on devices this was meant to replace. It's pitiful and there's simply no good excuse.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Did you restart your router? I've had cases where my router would simply not add a new device until I power cycled it but previously connected devices can.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Strange. I've never experienced any difficulty with my KA1 connecting to a network via wifi.

However, I'm not running the latest firmware and haven't used the wifi in some time because I don't want to mistakenly update my firmware. I have various dictionaries and Koreader installed under a former firmware and everything is working well for me so I feel no pressing need to update which would likely necessitate reinstalling stuff and tweaking settings.

If you're not happy with your experience using the Kobo firmware, you may want to try installing Koreader. The PDF experience is much more pleasurable and you can install a wide variety of dictionaries which can be very handy if you do much reading in a second or third language. You can also take screenshots etc. i mainly just use the Kobo firmware for reading in Japanese as Koreader doesn't seem to work well with vertically oriented text and furigana.

Best of luck.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Me neither and I'm on the latest firmware too. But Wifi network settings can be finnicky.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Did you restart your router? I've had cases where my router would simply not add a new device until I power cycled it but previously connected devices can.
After letting the Aura One sit for about 5 minutes it finally connected. I do on occasion have to restart my router, but I didn't try it today because my Glo HD, Kindle paperwhite, 2 tablets, a laptop, a media PC connected to my TV and an Amazon Fire TV Stick are all able to connect without a problem. The Aura One has always been, shall we say... less than stellar when it comes to connecting.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 08-17-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

So in a moment of unjustified optimism I thought I would give syncing a few more articles from Pocket a try. When I went to turn on the WiFi, I noticed it was already on, which it shouldn't have been because I always make sure it's off, but this isn't the first time I've seen this, so you know... Odd thing, if I turn on the WiFi and by some divine miracle it's able to connect it only ever gets 1/3 bars, but when I find it mysteriously on it's 3/3 bars. Go figure. Anyway I was able to sync and add some articles. Figuring my window was somehow open I tried adding some random things to Pocket, just to see. The WiFi said it was connected, but syncing was now unable to connect. I turned the WiFi off and back on and it was able to connect, but again syncing couldn't. I gave up and turned the WiFi back off. This morning I noticed that my battery had happily gone from the low 90's to 5%, so I plugged it in. Once the battery had reached 100% what do you think the chances are that the light changed from red to green? Top notch, Kobo, that's what I call quality. After I plugged in the Aura One I turned on the WiFi and synced my Glo HD, once again hassle free.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 08-21-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Weird. There certainly seem to be some quality control issues in regard to the KA1. Lucky for me, I haven't been experiencing any of the issues which seem to have plagued a good number of other people.

Hope they are able to get their quality control sorted out. Would hate to see them dump this size of device due to the recurring issues which people have been reporting.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Keep in mind that forums always accumulate the problem cases. It's very likely that people without problems vastly outnumber the ones who have them. We (forumites) are not representative of the e-reading population. We're a distortion.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote