Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: With ComfortLight turned on and low light setting, do you notice colored blotches?
Yes, green blotches from bottom center 20 15.15%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 22 16.67%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 18 13.64%
Yes, different location 10 7.58%
No 80 60.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Kobo Aura One: ComfortLight

Dear all,
having just received another new Kobo Aura One (my third device since release, I have returned the other two) I am wondering:
Does anyone here actually have a device on which the ComfortLight is evenly distributed across the screen, especially when set to low intensity (which would be the typical situation for that feature for me).
Why I am especially curious: All three Aura Ones have had their green blotches in different spots (all at the bottom of the screen though, one almost in the center, one more on the right, the current one more on the left) which leads me to conclude that the issue is with quality control and not with the design per se (i.e. they did not forget to put an LED in some spot).
Needless to say, I will return that third Aura One because it’s not worth full price for me. But I thought it might be helpful to share my info and to collect more in order to inform prospective buyers.

Edit: The poll is multiple choice in case voters have had more than one Aura One

Last edited by johnnyb; 03-23-2017 at 05:03 AM. Reason: description of poll
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Dear all,
having just received another new Kobo Aura One (my third device since release, I have returned the other two) I am wondering:
Does anyone here actually have a device on which the ComfortLight is evenly distributed across the screen, especially when set to low intensity (which would be the typical situation for that feature for me).
Why I am especially curious: All three Aura Ones have had their green blotches in different spots (all at the bottom of the screen though, one almost in the center, one more on the right, the current one more on the left) which leads me to conclude that the issue is with quality control and not with the design per se (i.e. they did not forget to put an LED in some spot).
Needless to say, I will return that third Aura One because it’s not worth full price for me. But I thought it might be helpful to share my info and to collect more in order to inform prospective buyers.

Edit: The poll is multiple choice in case voters have had more than one Aura One
I don't have any green blotches... The bottom of the screen is where the orange is most notable, which is only logical as that's where the LED's are. My brightness is at 2%, my natural light somewhere close to the end (no percentage given, at least not on my firmware).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
With brightness at 3% in a dark room, light is perfectly even with no colour variation.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Boyesen30
Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Boyesen30 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Touch N905c, Aura one, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
No green spots here, but the bottom right corner is slightly darker than the rest of the screen. Nothing that makes me feel like returning it.
Boyesen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
nunocrzt
nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle voyage
In my case I have returned my first aura because of the green tint that went diagonally all the way to the top of the screen. The second I received is a lot better, only two led's in center and right corner are not correctly creating the confortlight. One can only assume that there are some configuration issues.
nunocrzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I don't have green *blotches*, but the screen does have a bit of gradient from orange at the top to a just slightly greener shade of orange at the bottom. The sort of thing that is annoying, because you know your reader isn't 100% absolutely perfect, but doesn't actually bother my eyes any while reading.

I find I really love the Comfort Light feature!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I guess I was terribly unlucky then. Here's hoping I may get an acceptable screen (wouldnt mind a gradient) some time in the future
Software has considerably improved since launch (when it was barely usable)...

Last edited by johnnyb; 03-24-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
I have a small green blotch on the bottom left, visible on low intensity. It doesn't extend beyond the bottom margin, so it doesn't bother me much. Certainly not enough to return it.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Software has considerably improved since launch (when it was barely usable)...
Barely usable? I'm running the original software and it runs perfectly for me... It's all in the eye of the beholder!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #10
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder!
Indubitably true
Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #11
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
I'm incredibly picky when it come the front light. I returned an H20, too yellow. Voyage returned, ridiculousness colour shift from top to bottom. I didn't even bother with the Oasis. I returned to Kobo with trepidation and ordered an KA1.

I'm very happy with the light, slightly different shade in one corner, not something I think about or bothers me. Its a pity you can't "try before you buy" in a dark room...
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I'm very happy with the light, slightly different shade in one corner, not something I think about or bothers me. Its a pity you can't "try before you buy" in a dark room...
Definitely this! I remember wearing a long coat to go to WH Smith and Waterstone's and hiding under it to look at the Aura & Paperwhite to decide which one I liked better in the dark, I must have looked a complete idiot.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
BelleAlthea
BelleAlthea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Yes, I have some green patches at the bottom of my screen. They're very small and only noticeable when ComfortLight is very "dim". They don't extend up into the actual "page" margin and appear to merely be small cones of light from the LEDs. They don't bother me whatsoever, and I don't notice them when I'm immersed in a story.
BelleAlthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Definitely this! I remember wearing a long coat to go to WH Smith and Waterstone's and hiding under it to look at the Aura & Paperwhite to decide which one I liked better in the dark, I must have looked a complete idiot.

That was YOU
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I've had three Aura ones. The first had lighting problems. The second was perfect until the screen died. The new one has light cones on the bottom in night mode.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote