Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
MJSousa
MJSousa began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco JetBook Lite
Question Why did the Date Column change and is it going to change back?

Hi. It used to be that the date column reflected the date I added an ebook to Calibre, regardless of the existing opf file. This way when a friend lent me a book, my Date reflected when I added the book and not when she had.

I searched this forum to find out what was going on and I came across an old post from 2011 (link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ook+entered%3F) that relates to this subject.

One of the responses from kovidgoyal was:
"Yes the original behavior was to update the date field from epub metadata and it was removed later."

In response to someone else's post, who said:
"My (often faulty) recollection was that originally the Calibre date field was the date the book was added, unless the the Calibre date was specified in the epub opf. This confused some people, who expected to always see the date the book was added, not some date stored in the opf, so it was changed to ignore that date on import? Then again, perhaps my recollection is wrong? This wouldn't be a change of date, but it might explain why you recall it as not always being the date the book was added?" - (Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post)

So my question is why was the date column changed back to the "original behavior" and is there a way to go around it? (I now have Calibre ver 2.28; 64-bit/Win8) THX

Last edited by MJSousa; 05-24-2015 at 08:42 AM.
MJSousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The date column always shows the date added, unless your are adding recursively and there is an OPF file along side the ebook files, that specifies a value for the calibre date added column. This is so that you can use save to disk as a backup.

This behavior has always been the case and is not going to change.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
MJSousa

Thank you for the VERY quick reply. I guess I just never noticed this behavior before. Is there a way I can have a column that is only for the date added? Would that be considered a "custom column"? I would hate to get rid of the original opf file since then I would need to (re)download the metadata. Or am I wrong in what an opf file has?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSousa View Post
Thank you for the VERY quick reply. I guess I just never noticed this behavior before. Is there a way I can have a column that is only for the date added? Would that be considered a "custom column"? I would hate to get rid of the original opf file since then I would need to (re)download the metadata. Or am I wrong in what an opf file has?
Adding files with an existing opf file should be a rare operation. I'd recommend doing a manual metadata change on the imported file after importing them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
MJSousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Adding files with an existing opf file should be a rare operation. I'd recommend doing a manual metadata change on the imported file after importing them.
My friends and I have been exchanging and lending books to each other since the mid-80's, long before ebooks came along. So once in a while, I have this problem. It's not so rare. Do you know how I can add a "added-book-date" column? Doing a manual metadata change is not only time consuming, but an extra step. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
My friends and I have been exchanging and lending books to each other since the mid-80's, long before ebooks came along. So once in a while, I have this problem. It's not so rare. Do you know how I can add a "added-book-date" column? Doing a manual metadata change is not only time consuming, but an extra step. Thank you.
Time consuming?
Extra Step: Yes

I used to exchange a bag of paperbacks with a coworker about once a month.
I cant imagine much of the process has changed, except the size of the bag is lots smaller (and the practice is usually prohibited by the terms of use)

Downloading metadata will NOT change the {date}, That is a Calibre-System/OPF supplied value.
OTOH Bulk Metadata Edit cut the time consuming extra step to 3 steps for a LOT (bulk) add.
1)Select all those books
2)tap E
3)Set the new value in DATE,
OK/Apply
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Add a custom column (Preferences / Add your own columns / the + icon) with type "Date". Name the column something like lookup name "#added_date" and column heading "Added Date".

Once you have the column you need to copy the date column to your new custom column. This is done with edit metadata (multiple) Select all your books, press E, choose Search/Replace, then fill out the form as shown in this screen capture. I suggest that you back up your library first. Once this is finished then you must manually maintain the new date.

Note: if your friends make a custom column with the same lookup name and you import a book from them that has an accompanying OPF then their date will overwrite yours.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
MJSousa

Thank you Chaley, much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, just noticed that I didn't include the screen capture for the search/replace. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	276
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	138640  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MJSousa - if you edit the custom date (e.g. Added Date) from the book list (IMO, F2 is 'easiest') then it should default to current date/time.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
MJSousa

Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it very much.

Tags
added, calibre, column, date, ebooks