Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
gcconspiracy
gcconspiracy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Annotating across multiple pages, is it possible?

Hello, I just received a Glo as an early Christmas present (my first ereader), and I have a question. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading, highlighting, and adding notes to the epub files that I own, but today I found I wanted to highlight a quote that fell across two pages. I assumed there had to be a way to highlight across more than one page (seems like a fairly simple feature), but I have not been able to figure it out. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
gcconspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
I haven't found a way to do this either, but there's a cumbersome workaround: Try decreasing the text size until your passage (hopefully) fits on one screen, highlight it, then restore the text size.

This trick won't always work, depending on the size and location of the block you need to highlight, but it's helped me a few times.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
I haven't found a way to do this either, but there's a cumbersome workaround: Try decreasing the text size until your passage (hopefully) fits on one screen, highlight it, then restore the text size.

This trick won't always work, depending on the size and location of the block you need to highlight, but it's helped me a few times.
Same trick I have used. But I too wold like to see a more elegent approach from the Kobo developers.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
gcconspiracy
gcconspiracy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hmmmmmm... I was afraid of that. I had thought of resizing the font, but honestly can't be bothered. I think for now I'll just highlight the beginning of the text, and when I revisit it I will go to the page and read it in full.

I hope this issue is addressed in a OS upgrade in the future.
gcconspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are there any updates concerning this?

The trick to decrease the font size works but it's far from elegant – or even practical, in some cases, specially while you're doing some research work and you have to underline huge portions of text.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
Are there any updates concerning this?

The trick to decrease the font size works but it's far from elegant – or even practical, in some cases, specially while you're doing some research work and you have to underline huge portions of text.
agree with you that it is definitely suboptimal - it is possible in theory, as with Coolreader on my Pocketbook I could select across pages. However that is the only software I am aware of tha tis capable of doing this, and I don't think there is a port for Kobo.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
paulcolley
paulcolley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Found the problem

I found the cause (for me, anyway): I can highlight across pages with kepub files but not with epub files.

I use Calibre to manage my books. I installed KoboTouchExtended, which converts to kepub on the fly, and removed & replaced the offending books, and now I can highlight across pages as usual by dragging to the bottom right or top left corner, and holding for a second.
paulcolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
I can highlight across pages on books I purchased from Kobo (kepub) but not on books I sideload (epub).

Hold finger couple seconds at bottom corner while highlighting and page turns and continues to highlight.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 10-08-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
I can highlight across pages on books I purchased from Kobo (kepub) but not on books I sideload (epub).

Hold finger couple seconds at bottom corner while highlighting and page turns and continues to highlight.
This also works for sideloaded kepubs.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the record, this is working as designed. And changed since the original posts. At that time, there was no way to make an annotation across two pages. Which were in 2012 and 2013.

Some time since then, it was enabled for kepubs. Just select a word and drag the selection to the bottom-right corner and the page will turn and you can continue selecting. Or drag to the top-left to continue the highlighting on the previous page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote