Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Sony is discounting my books - What will Amazon do?

I just noticed that the Sony Reader Store is discounting our books by 20%. I'm afraid of what will happen when Amazon's robot compares pricing? The price of the books will get dragged down.

I'm sure I'm not the first to talk about this. Can someone shed some light on the best way to handle this?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
michaelryannh
Connoisseur
michaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
I thought the authors set their own price with this?
michaelryannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did. $9.95 but when I go to the store its now $9.95 $7.95

Have a look

Last edited by wannabee; 10-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I did. $9.95 but when I go to the store its now $9.95 $7.95

Have a look
Is your profit a percentage of the selling price, or a fixed sum?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it's something you don't want done, you probably can send an email to their support asking them to revert the change. I can't say it'll work for sure, but if not then maybe consider pulling your title from there.

I *believe* most of the other places which allow independent authors to distribute have said they won't alter pricing anymore. Too much mess with webcrawlers finding them cheaper, too many angry authors complaining via support.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Is your profit a percentage of the selling price, or a fixed sum?
Amazon gives you a percentage of your nominated selling price even if they give them away free. I'm going to have to reread Sony's contact to see what I've signed up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
If it's something you don't want done, you probably can send an email to their support asking them to revert the change. I can't say it'll work for sure, but if not then maybe consider pulling your title from there.
Yeah, I guess so. But 13 titles and they've only been up for just over a month and you wont believe the rigmarole it is to get them into the reader store.
Quote:

I *believe* most of the other places which allow independent authors to distribute have said they won't alter pricing anymore. Too much mess with webcrawlers finding them cheaper, too many angry authors complaining via support.
Just wondering if anyone reading the thread has actually been through this? With Sony or anyone else?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Did you go through smashwords or put them up yourself?

If you did Smashwords, I'd recommend talking to them. If memory serves, the different services aren't supposed to discount Smashwords titles.

If you went on your own, I'd suggest reading through your contract. My guess is there's a line in there that says they can discount your price when and how they like. If not, then get customer support on the phone and begin complaining.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I go through Smashwords too. They protect the author from discounted books.

The other option is not to tell Amazon and hope they're too busy opening up stores in new countries to notice.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon gives you a percentage of your nominated selling price even if they give them away free. I'm going to have to reread Sony's contact to see what I've signed up to.
---
O.K. Please realize I am a newbie at this stuff, but if you get the same money from Amazon then what is the downside of them reducing the price?

Is it that the books appear devalued to others? Does that affect you immediately or in the long run?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Is it that the books appear devalued to others? Does that affect you immediately or in the long run?
Speaking purely from a reader's standpoint, lower price means I'm more likely to buy the book. So if it's not reducing the actual amount the author makes on each sale, then I'd say reduced price is good, no?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Amazon gives you a percentage of your nominated selling price even if they give them away free.
Is that just in America? I don't get anything for UK "sales" of something that is free. If they pay for free stuff in America that would explain why they didn't make it free there.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
I believe they did this at first, but stopped the practice earlier in 2011. I don't get any royalty at all for the books I have for free there and haven't since the first ones went free in May.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

I didn't go through smashwords, I used Sony's facilitator Amnet. I think they're in India.
Quote:
Is that just in America? I don't get anything for UK "sales" of something that is free. If they pay for free stuff in America that would explain why they didn't make it free there.
Quote:
O.K. Please realize I am a newbie at this stuff, but if you get the same money from Amazon then what is the downside of them reducing the price?

No, Maybe I didn't make myself clear. If I nominate a book to sell in Amazon for $9.95 (not free)then my cut is about $6.95 or so. If Amazon decide to discount or give it away free I still get my $6.95. (I've only read about it. It hasn't happened to me)

Quote:
I believe they did this at first, but stopped the practice earlier in 2011. I don't get any royalty at all for the books I have for free there and haven't since the first ones went free in May.
Did you assign it a price of $0 or did Amazon? If you did, then there's no reason for Amazon to pay a percentage.

Now getting back to the original problem. The agreement with Amazon is that I not sell a print or electronic version through any other sales outlet cheaper than Amazon. If Amazon finds out there is a cheaper one out there they will drop their price to match and subsequently my portion is reduced.
Meanwhile if Sony discount the books without my consent and Amazon follows suit, the whole box and dice can go spiraling down.

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like it's time reread that contract.

If anyone else had actually gone through this scenario I'd certainly like to hear from you.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Now getting back to the original problem. The agreement with Amazon is that I not sell a print or electronic version through any other sales outlet cheaper than Amazon. If Amazon finds out there is a cheaper one out there they will drop their price to match and subsequently my portion is reduced. Meanwhile if Sony discount the books without my consent and Amazon follows suit, the whole box and dice can go spiraling down.
Oh, okay. I can see how that would be a bad thing.

Time to contact Sony maybe? Or the publisher, if you think Sony is more likely to listen to them?

Good luck!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

This seems overly complicated.
I hate contracts, but I guess they are a part of the cost of doing business.