Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
iRex might not, but you guys certainly have...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
iRex might not, but you guys certainly have...^^
I think we've just begun to scratch the surface...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #18
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think if the iLiad could display while it provides input to another system, it really could compete with the Cintiq, which is overkill for most folks. The Graphire is ok, but I really like being able to look down at what I'm drawing, rather than drawing in one place and looking in another. (I can do that while I type, but I'm not good enough at drawing to get away with it!)
Wacom has just announced a smaller version of the Cintiq, a 12 inch model that is powered over USB.

I haven't made much further progress with the UDP interface for the tablet on my iLiad; it is frustrating to restart my X server all the time since I must restart fifty xterms or so. This would be a good thing to test on a second X server running on :1.0 so that I don't lose all of my other work in the process.
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
At "less than one thousand dollars," the new Cintiq is still well out of my price range. I'm still hoping to be able to use my iLiad for this purpose. And I still think the iLiad in general could compete with this new Cintiq model, as it can do so many other things as well.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just out of curiosity, where do you guys learn all of this (Linux driver mods and so)?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, you can start here:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/
or here:
http://kernelnewbies.org/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Personally, I started by just grabbing the source code or man pages and digging through it with a goal in mind. It really depends on what you're trying to do. Some understanding of basic tools (grep, less, find, man, C language, Google search) is really all you need to get started, then it's just looking things up, making deductions, etc...

Basically it's all trial and error. Keep notes to track your thought process. Don't be afraid to be wrong. Don't be afraid to ask other people questions, too! My number one rule is "never be afraid to look like an idiot"
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #23
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I wish there was some 'intro-kernel' to start with...
Like,Linux kernels have advanced so much the past 10 years it's like I'd never catch up with them anymore...

The time when Linux only was available as a shell, I was way too young to start thinking about modifying it.
Now that the years of 'intelligence' have come,it's like going to a school, and being 5 years behind the rest of the class,you know what I mean?

It'd be nice if the reader or other simple hardware devices supported like a tiny kernel, that's just too easy to mod.
Like where if you put your mind to it,you could program everything, and knew everything there is to know about the drivers and hardware within one week!

I bet the kernel is one of the hardest things to start with.. It's all so connected drivers, kernel, OS...

I'd love to learn it but I'd probably need to consider if I'm willing to dedicate myself to the many hours of study, and if it could ever bring bread in my house.. you know?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #24
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It'd be nice if the reader or other simple hardware devices supported like a tiny kernel, that's just too easy to mod.
Like where if you put your mind to it,you could program everything, and knew everything there is to know about the drivers and hardware within one week!
IMHO, Linux is already a qualified tiny kernel. Many embedded devices adopt Linux as their working OS.
If you want to know everything about kernel mod in a week... that's hard to say.
I think its nearly impossible. Because if you can make it within a week, you must have already known so many things that you only need one week to pick up the tiny parts, not from intro-level.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
ajat80
ajat80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really want this to work

I am a graphic designer and i love the idea of having a carry on sketch book that i can use as well as graphic tablet when is connected to my computer
Please update on progress
i will definitely get on if this wok, one other question, is there another program for drawing like illustrator, that would be amazing.

Thanks for the hope and inspiration,
ajat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #26
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

Device: none
[OFFTOPIC] An easy-to-program kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Now there is an idea - a kernel that is written not to optimise efficiency, but written from the ground up just to be easy to program, debug and maintain.

Actually, I think Linux kernel modules address the programming, but work is needed on simplifying the latter two...

I think you can gain a lot of knowledge about Linux Device Drivers in a short time by reading this free ( but please buy ) book: http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Minix, a historical predecessor to linux, is like that.

Last edited by nekokami; 05-02-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added link to MINIX page.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
kosmarnik
kosmarnik began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro 2, HP Tx2000 tablet
I may be late, but let me add this, Wacom Penabled tech (which Iliad uses) does not support tilt :/
It's the same tech you seen in every tablet PC, but not in the Wacom tablets/Cintiq.
IIRC it's a really old Wacom pre-Intuos tech. The only reason they don't give their newer (ie post 2000) tech to OEMs is not to cannibalize their Intous/Citiq sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajat80 View Post
I am a graphic designer and i love the idea of having a carry on sketch book that i can use as well as graphic tablet when is connected to my computer
Please update on progress
i will definitely get on if this wok, one other question, is there another program for drawing like illustrator, that would be amazing.
IMHO you'd be much better served by something like HP Pavillion TX2x00 series. They're pretty cheap (~$800US) and you get an 12.1" 1280x800 color LCD (ok, and touch screen, x2 2.2 Ghz cpus, 3gb ram, 250gb hdd, the rest). I had one (I still have it but it's been on warranty service for like 4 months now ), and it's a pretty nice machine for drawing/design.
Runs PS/AI/3DSMAX/Z-brush/Painter like a champ.

I would have used it as a reader, but the weight (1.9kg) is a tad too much.
Though I have read a lot of graphic novels on it

Eh and also, I don't see windows support mentioned anywhere
I would hazard a guess a say that there is none? Please say I'm wrong
kosmarnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #29
LaDyBug
LaDyBug began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Portable Ubuntu

Could it be possible to make this work on Windows by using Colinux or Portable Ubuntu?
LaDyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #30
Cliffe
Cliffe began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Question

Hey guys,

I have been playing with the idea of sending the wacom data directly out of the mini usb of the DR1000S via gadgetfs, for use on a Windows computer. Please check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48414 and let me know if you think my initial thoughts have potential.

Thanks.
Cliffe is offline   Reply With Quote