Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Books you're hanging out for.

Just wondering what books people are totally hanging out for that are currently not available (as ebook or pbook).

My top 2 would be

1) Peter Watts "State of Grace" (working title)... a "sidequal" to his awesome novel "Blindsight". It's still a work in progress, but the first chapter is available on his website and it's frickin' cool. I can't wait for this one.

2) Peter F Hamilton's third novel of his "void" trilogy, "The Evolutionary Void". Been hanging out for this one for ages... so much so that I think I need to re-read the first two so I can remember what the hell has happened so far. Available on Amazon in August (24th).
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Well, the granddaddy of all overdue sequels, A Method for Madness from David Gerrold - the fifth book in the War Against the Chtorr series. It's been 16 years since book 4, so I'm definitely going to have to go back and re-read them to remember the storyline.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Didn't know about State of Grace, but I want it (will wait for the full novel, though, and not read a sample chapter.)

Yeah, I'm waiting for The Evolutionary Void.

Also anticipating I Shall Wear Midnight(Terry Pratchett, Discworld/Tiffany Aching), Zero History (William Gibson), All Clear (Connie Willis), Surface Detail (Iain Banks, Culture), and The Dervish House (Ian McDonald, out, but I don't have it yet) to name a few.

Last edited by ardeegee; 07-20-2010 at 10:28 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Surface Detail (Iain Banks, Culture)
Oh yeah, totally forgot that one. Hanging out for it too. Currently reading Excession at the moment... so good!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard the expression "hanging out for" before. I assume it means "eagerly awaiting", or something similar?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoan View Post
Just wondering what books people are totally hanging out for that are currently not available (as ebook or pbook).
The Crippled God by Steven Erikson
&
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never heard the expression "hanging out for" before. I assume it means "eagerly awaiting", or something similar?
That was my guess, but I blamed my English.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I checked on internet, and confirmed my first impression. If I find it fine, if not it will cross my path, sometime. For the moment I keep minding my business.

Unless he looks at himself like a shirt out for drying. He will clarify his intention. English a fluid language. Ideal for Web 2.0
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No... I like to dangle from high places such as trees or telephone wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
That was my guess, but I blamed my English.
I too blame the English.

Last edited by mukoan; 07-21-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
As an informational service to other non-US/non-Brit readers:

Quote:
[...]
2) Peter F Hamilton's third novel of his "void" trilogy, "The Evolutionary Void".
[...]
The entire Void series is geo-restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
[...]
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
[...[
WoT is also geo-restricted but only since the agency model. I was able to buy the first 3 books prior to the switch and cannot access them now (BoB).
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
As an informational service to other non-US/non-Brit readers:

The entire Void series is geo-restricted.
Are you sure? I'm in Australia and it looks like Amazon is letting me buy them if I want to...?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Are you sure? I'm in Australia and it looks like Amazon is letting me buy them if I want to...?
It is on BoB and I checked elsewhere too. Perhaps Australia is part of the US/UK release? I don't think Amazon got a special deal.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
It is on BoB and I checked elsewhere too. Perhaps Australia is part of the US/UK release? I don't think Amazon got a special deal.
Yeah I think you're right. I've found Australia is frequently included in the list of countries restricted by "geo-restriced" books... that's why I'm surprised.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Ramen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yeah I think you're right. I've found Australia is frequently included in the list of countries restricted by "geo-restriced" books... that's why I'm surprised.
Turns out I'm actually wrong. I finally signed up for Kindle PC (Stackpole) and it seems I could buy the Void series. I could also buy Wheel of Time, it seems...

Damn you BoB! (If this is true)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #15
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
MeiLin Miranda's Lovers and Beloveds, book one of An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom. It should be out in September, and I can't wait.

David Weber's next Honor Harrington novel - the one after Mission of Honor. I've put off reading the latter until the former is out, because with what I expect to happen in Mission, I want to read more than one book in a row to get out of the pile of excrement that seems bound to hit the rotary air mover...
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote