Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only thing I will rush to judgement over is how bad ChromeOS is and how under-powered the laptops that come with it are. It's a scam and if you buy one, you are being scammed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only thing I will rush to judgement over is how bad ChromeOS is and how under-powered the laptops that come with it are. It's a scam and if you buy one, you are being scammed.
My chromebook had an intel core i5, a 2560x1700 screen, and it was easy to replace ChromeOS with linux.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Not all Chromebooks are under-powered. I've got a Dell Latitude 5300 that's no slouch. But that's more the exception than the rule and I use it to run Linux. The reason I got interested in Chromebooks was so I could run Linux on a cheap, modern computer that had a long battery life. "Under-powered" can translate into "long battery life" and I don't need a lot of power.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
My chromebook had an intel core i5, a 2560x1700 screen, and it was easy to replace ChromeOS with linux.
Could you replace the storage with something larger and install Windows?
Old 11-29-2022, 01:08 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never opened it up. Lots of laptops have soldered storage and there is no reason for me to know whether windoze can be installed on anything.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If Windows cannot be installed and the storage upgraded, then you got ripped-off big time. You got a piece of junk.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If Windows cannot be installed and the storage upgraded, then you got ripped-off big time. You got a piece of junk.
In my experience, on multiple occassions over rmultiple years, windows is worse than useless to me. Fortunately, it has been years since I had to use it and don't expect to do so again.

Please stop with the off topic harassment.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There are XP, Vista and Windows 10 netbooks (XP with 4G Flash), and laptops and tablets (Win10 with 32G Flash) that can't have storage increased. In fact I installed 64 bit Debian on a 64 bit Atom tablet that had only 32 bit UEFI / Boot and could no longer even update 32 bit Win10 due to lack of space.
The 32 bit or 64 bit Linux can be easily used on 32G storage and 1.5 G RAM.
Also many 64 bit Atoms deliberately lack I/O pins and/or Mobo support and are limited to 4G of RAM. Current Windows really needs about x4 cpu power of Mate desktop on Linux, 256 G storage, 8 G RAM and at least an Intel integrated GPU. Linux doesn't need a GPU at all for Mate desktop (the XFCE and a couple of other desktops need even less CPU). Also Linux can use as little as 800 x 600 screen with suitable desktop and font settings. Windows 10/11 needs 1024 x 768 minimum, ideally 1920x1080 minimum.

It's best not to buy a Chromebook, unless cheap S/H and you know it's a model that can run Linux. Hardly any can run Windows. Netbooks originally only had Linux and then MS paid makers to install XP. Linux worked much better on those.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows can't sensibly be installed on many Macs. Also Flash and RAM may be soldered and not upgraded. Perhaps overpriced, but I never heard them called junk.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why would you want to cripple a laptop by forcing Windows on it? That's just cruel.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In my experience, on multiple occassions over rmultiple years, windows is worse than useless to me. Fortunately, it has been years since I had to use it and don't expect to do so again.
My sentiments exactly. I actually do have a small partition with Windows 10 on this computer (the license is built into the BIOS and it came with it). I go to that partition about once every two months (or so) to upgrade Windows, just in case someone wants to use it at some time. That's all I've done with it, except for a few tests. Windows holds no attraction for me at all.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #27
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm finding THIS piece of software quite useful.

Wavemaker Cards

It is actively supported and V4 is in beta at the moment. V3 is stable.

It is free, and it runs on virtually anything that can use a Chrome browser. It isn't a cloud-based web app, exactly, it is a Progressive Web App. Which, as I understand it, is a locally resident program that uses much of the Chrome infrastructure to operate, but does not need to be 'online' to work. It doesn't import at all. So you need to start using it with a new project.

It stores data on Google Drive and on the local drive. In short, it can cater to almost any hardware/software prejudices you might have.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm finding THIS piece of software quite useful.

Wavemaker Cards

It is actively supported and V4 is in beta at the moment. V3 is stable.
Pointless compared to many open source established wordprocessors or text editors.

And the Chrome Browser is spyware.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #29
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Pointless compared to many open source established wordprocessors or text editors.

And the Chrome Browser is spyware.
Good thing I only said, "Almost all hardware or software prejudices" then!

GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I see the FAQ says: "You will currently need the Latest Google Chrome Browser", but the blog says "The key elements are you need to have a PWA compatible web browser (Right now that’s Chromium and Chrome, but the other browsers are all planning to support this )."

So the Vivaldi browser should work (see instructions here); Vivaldi is an excellent browser and is a pretty good answer to the "spyware" objection. Of course trying to respond to the "pointless" objection is ... well, you know.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote