Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
AngelaMarie
AngelaMarie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library Books?

My sony PRS-300 pocket reader finally died. I'm looking for a new E Reader. I'm considering not going with Sony again as I had bad experiences with their customer service. I typically buy 4 or 5 books a month and then download approximately 10 books a month from the library. I'm looking at both the Kindle and the Nook as I think I'd enjoy a bit of a larger screen. Will I be able to download library books to either of those? Any other recommendations?
AngelaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Do you mind having another 5" e-ink reader? If so do consider the PocketBook 360 as it can read library books and is very configurable. If you want to know more see the link in my sig.

I really don't know about library books on the kindle or nook. For a start, Kindle won't read epub files and it isn't great at displaying .pdfs either.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Most library ebooks can't be read on the Kindle; in fact, I don't know that any can. The Nook does seem to be supported.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaMarie View Post
My sony PRS-300 pocket reader finally died. I'm looking for a new E Reader. I'm considering not going with Sony again as I had bad experiences with their customer service. I typically buy 4 or 5 books a month and then download approximately 10 books a month from the library. I'm looking at both the Kindle and the Nook as I think I'd enjoy a bit of a larger screen. Will I be able to download library books to either of those? Any other recommendations?
Kindle will not read library books (if your library uses the Overdrive selection of Mobi/EPUB/PDF) as they are offered. You may be able to strip the DRM from the files and convert for Kindle use (I will not advocate this as it's a blurry issue as far as your right to do so).

The Nook will read the DRM EPUB and PDF files from Overdrive without any modification (but not the Mobi without DRM-stripping and conversion).

Good luck!
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
AngelaMarie

Thank you for the tips. I will check out the Pocketbook as well. I only had the PRS-300 for 60 days. It kept fading in the sunlight and finally froze and no matter how many times I reset it, it will not unfreeze. Even when powered off you can still read the last page I was reading. Sony basically just told me to buy a new one. I loved having it and don't want to go much longer without one!
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
The Aluratek Libre (see the Jetbook forum) can read library books but it is a 5" reader.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Check out The famous eBook Reader Matrix to narrow down some choices. Just about any device will read ePub and PDF from a Public Library except the Kindle.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What happened to your 300? It should still be under warranty.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
AngelaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happened to your 300? It should still be under warranty.
The screen froze. I've reset it multiple times but it stays frozen. You can see the same page whether the reader is off or on. I've contacted Sony and they want $120 to repair it even though it's only 45 days old. I got it on sale for $160 so I feel like it's pointless to pay for it to be repaired when it's less than two months old.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Crescent_Hawk0
Crescent_Hawk0 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
The screen froze. I've reset it multiple times but it stays frozen. You can see the same page whether the reader is off or on. I've contacted Sony and they want $120 to repair it even though it's only 45 days old. I got it on sale for $160 so I feel like it's pointless to pay for it to be repaired when it's less than two months old.
Since it's still under warranty, tell them fix it or call the BBB on them. I've always disliked Sony with a passion and will not buy any of their products.
Crescent_Hawk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
AngelaMarie

I just wanted to post an update here. After making yet another call to Sony they finally issued me an Event ID and picked up my Ereader. It is now four days later and I've already received a brand new replacement. I'm happy overall but doubtful I'd buy another Sony Ereader. Now I can go back to enjoying ebooks and save up for the new pocketbook which is what I've decided on buying. Thank you all for encouraging me to keep trying.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just wanted to post an update here. After making yet another call to Sony they finally issued me an Event ID and picked up my Ereader. It is now four days later and I've already received a brand new replacement. I'm happy overall but doubtful I'd buy another Sony Ereader. Now I can go back to enjoying ebooks and save up for the new pocketbook which is what I've decided on buying. Thank you all for encouraging me to keep trying.
If you are going to get a Pocketbooks, I'd suggest waiting for the 302 or the larger then 6" screen one that's due out sometime before the sun explodes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote