Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just hope they don't use the wifi just to connect to the Connect store. That would suck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It would do that, indeed. A Sony IDS, if you will.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
The $149.00 Connection Store credit is a rip IMO. Well at least $100.00 of it. Ill wait just a bit longer.
I have to agree.

For some of us that $100 credit for "classics" (read: DRM ladden "Project Guttenberg" books you can't share, can't reformat, can't do ANYTHING with) is of very little value. I personally, haven't even used any of my $50 Connect credit I have received with my reader.
There *are* people, however, that are not capable of reformating a "vanilla ASCII" project guttenberg book, or people that would need to spend considerable time doing so. There are even people that have absolutely no idea that they can legaly dowload LOTS of books from www.guttenberg.org, or http://manybooks.net or countless other sites.

Sony Reader is worth every single penny, regardless of the Connect credit. I haven't put down mine since it arived a few months ago. If you start reading from e-ink screen you will not be willing to go back.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sony Reader is worth every single penny, regardless of the Connect credit. I haven't put down mine since it arived a few months ago. If you start reading from e-ink screen you will not be willing to go back.
My X50v does pretty well right now, asI can read in bed at night as well as enjoy a decent screen. Also whereever I am I have my Treo 700wx, and have my reading library in it as well. The toughest part is to sync the two.

When the price comes down ~$75-100 more, then I shall buy the reader. I might be waiting a while tho
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
My X50v does pretty well right now, asI can read in bed at night as well as enjoy a decent screen. Also whereever I am I have my Treo 700wx, and have my reading library in it as well. The toughest part is to sync the two.

When the price comes down ~$75-100 more, then I shall buy the reader. I might be waiting a while tho
The reader already has come down $50 + the $50 credit as the connect store makes it like $100 off. So go for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #21
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I have an X50v, and it's nothing like the Reader. Like trying to compare grass and astro-turf. I'd never use my X50v for reading. Eyestrain, glare, too small etc. The X50v is a great PDA, but the Reader is the best way to read.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #22
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Talking Working an extra $100 off...

Order from the Sony store on-line and they'll give you free shipping (until 6/7/07) and the $50 off $349 as well as the $50 of free e-books and the 50 Sony Classic titles. If you apply for their Sony Rewards Visa credit card at the same time (at check out, instant approval if your credit checks out) and use the card for the purchase, they'll credit you $100 in 2-3 months to your credit card ($100 credit after first purchase). No biggie b/c 0% APR for the first 12 billing cycles.

I'm willing to let the $299 (+$30 CA tax Sony charged me) sit in the account until my $100 credit posts, then pay off the whole balance and then cancel the card.

Net price $199 for a new reader, $149 if you factor in the "free" $50 of e-books (not willing to give credit for 50x$2 books that are otherwise freely available in the public domain). $180 total including tax.

I'm happy.

Dave

P.S. The Sony Rewards Visa is a Chase Manhattan card, someone else noted that applying for a Chase card directly could get you a $150 credit after your first purchase. The instant issuance of the Sony Card made this much easier in my case.
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote