Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
cheesypea
cheesypea began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen 3
SD cards not working in Cybook

Hey everybody,
I bought a Cybook g3 on ebay and I thought I got a good bargain as it included two leather covers (red and camel) as well as the charger and 1GB SD card.

However, it seems there is a problem with the SD card slot.
The SD card had no books or anything on it when I got it (though the previous user had apparently used it with the Cybook because there were loads of those .tb2, or whatever, files) so I formatted the card then stuck it into the device.
When I booted up the Cybook the library showed the three documents that were on the internal memory (The user manual, dictionary and a sheet-music PDF).

I then decided to update the firmware before putting any books on (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am) it was at revision 1.1.
So I downloaded revision 1.2 from the cybook website, read the "read me" and followed the instructions (pressed the center button when it was booting-up) but I got no flash on the boot screen to indicate that the update was underway. It entered into the library normally and after checking in the menu (advanced>about) it was still at revision 1.1.
I tried this a few more times, pressing the enter/center button at different times etc., to no avail.
I then got a different blank SD card and tried that with similar (lack of) results.

So I gave up on updating the firmware for the moment and tried putting books on.

I should mention that in order to get the update_kernel file onto the SD card I had to use the card-reader (in the drive bay) of my PC because when I plugged the Cybook in via usb I couldnt access the SD card that was in the slot of the Cybook (the computer actually hanged/froze when I clicked on the icon in "my computer" for the card).

So I put the SD card back into the card-reader in my PC; first I tried dragging and dropping a PDF into it, then ejecting the card from the PC and putting it back into the cybook. When I got to the library in the cybook there was no sign of the PDF.
After that I tried the same using a .prc file, also without success.
Then I tried using "mobipocket reader" to put the same .prc onto it (I went to "device settings", or whatever, in mobipocket reader and selected "card" for it to transfer files to the card and not the internal memory) but I was informed by "mobipocket reader" that "no memory card" was found on this device" . I tried the other SD card as well with no joy.

So in summation; if I put the SD card into my PC card-reader and then put books on it they do not show in the Cybook library, if I try to access the SD card when it is in the Cybook slot and the Cybook is hooked up via usb to my PC I cannot and if I try to put books on using "mobipocket reader" it tells me there is no card in the Cybook (there obviously is)

My conclusion is that the SD slot is broke but the previous owner had no such problems (at least thats what they told me ) and I can't see how it could have got damaged in transit because it was really well wrapped up (bubble wrap, styrofoam, two carboard boxes)...

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I am really disheartened and I don't want to use the internal memory, I just want it to work with the SD card or not at all (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am).

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some

Thanks.

Edit: Its also taking about 5 minutes after it's connected for the Cybook to appear in "my computer" or in "mobipocket reader"

Last edited by cheesypea; 05-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I can't comment specifically on your situation, but I had a Cybook with a faulty SD card reader. I had to have it replaced by Bookeen -- luckily it was under warranty. Is your's still in the warranty date? You might want to check with Bookeen.

It's been a while since I had my Cybook working, but there was also something about the format for the SD card. You need to format it as FAT32??? I think?
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
It's been a while since I had my Cybook working, but there was also something about the format for the SD card. You need to format it as FAT32??? I think?
Yes, FAT32 and no bigger than 2Gb

Regards, Alex
Old 05-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Cheesypea Welcome to MR....Feel free to search around, there's plenty here in the Cybook section, and also the Wiki pages - need any help just ask - we're a friendly helpful bunch here.....

Is the SD card in the 'correct' way? Check by looking in the slot for the contacts - there appears no consistency in whether it facing the front or back of the unit - and are they 'clean'.

I usually find that connecting my Cy with a long USB cable to my PC results in it not being recognised, perhaps you would be 'better' served with a short cable.

With the firmware upgrade, keep your finger on the button for a while - not the 'few seconds' indicated by the instructions. It does take 10-20-30 seconds before it reacts.

I've had too many problems with SD cards, that I no longer use one, and just have my books on the internal storage - it's big enough! (doesn't help with firmware upgrade, though).

Rumour has it that a future firmware procedure hopes to bypass the need for an SD card....
Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Duplicate thread. Please continue the discussion in this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...547#post467547

Thread closed.

Advert
Closed Thread