Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Question Depression era books

Last night I tried watching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath

movie, but disk was damaged. Then I though I'd like to read some books describing that period. Actually I was always curious and wanted to read about that period, but kept procrastinating. These days I wonder if I could learn something about the future from reading about that time.

Anyway, I am looking for book recommendations. Preferebly free or cheap eBooks that offer stories or analysis from Derpession Era. Nothing too theoretical as personal stories are much more valuable and interesting.

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just find books about today's economy. It's depressed enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Sinclair, Upton: The Jungle
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17904
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/140

You will see that the situation today is not THAT bad. I hope ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sinclair, Upton: The Jungle
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17904
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/140

You will see that the situation today is not THAT bad. I hope ;-)
Certainly not *TODAY*
As I said I am looking ahead at what might be coming up.
Actually I don't think we'll simply turn the clock back to early 20th century. Nevertheless, it would be prudent to be prepared and learn of harsher life that is ahead.

thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just find books about today's economy. It's depressed enough.
I wish. I find contemporary "experts" so hopelessly clueless ...
Besides who writes books today? It is all about 5 min soundbites, 1-2 page commentaries/blogs, etc.

Events these days are far too hectic for anyone to sit down and write something substantial.
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
A good book on the problems and the era is The Bonus Army by Paul Dickson. It does not appear to be available in ebook form, but it is worth reading.

Last edited by rhadin; 11-18-2008 at 06:24 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"The Persian Pickle Club" By Sandra Dallas

"The Worst Hard Time" By Timothy Egan

Neither are available here, but should be from your local library.

And have you read "Grapes of Wrath"? The movie, in my opinion, doesn't do it justice. The book made me taste the dust..........Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London" and "The Road to Wigan" Pier" tell you how it is on the other side of the Atlantic. I particularly recommend the former as an entertaining read. Available on this site in a variety of formats.

Hmm, in fact I think it's time I read it again myself...
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There's Run With The Horsemen and Whisper of the River by Ferroll Sams about growing up in Georgia during the depression.
E.L. Doctorow's World's Fair and Billy Bathgate take place in New York during the 30's.
And you may want to try the late Stud Terkel's Hard Times:An Oral History of the Great Depression.

Last edited by BenG; 11-18-2008 at 01:26 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression" by Amity Shlaes. This book, which has been reviewed quite a bit lately, takes a different view of the actions of the Roosevelt administration in the 30's and 40's.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (1930s Depression.)

The Drapes of Wrath - The Carol Burnett version ---- hahahahaha (See Gone With The Wind) (My pardon for a humorous, obscure allusion to a book that does not exist.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"The Persian Pickle Club" By Sandra Dallas

"The Worst Hard Time" By Timothy Egan

Neither are available here, but should be from your local library.

And have you read "Grapes of Wrath"? The movie, in my opinion, doesn't do it justice. The book made me taste the dust..........Good luck.
No I haven't read it.
Excellent recommendations thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
bob_ninja
Addict

Excellent tips, thanks to all for posting

P.S.: Too bad so few are available as eBooks. Haven't used my pBooks much since I got Cybook
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If anyone wants to go further back, Charles Mackay's "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" has chapters on earlier economic bubbles and financial follies (Tulipomania, the South Sea Bubble and the Mississipi Bubble).
It's available in our upload section.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
bob_ninja
Addict

Interesting, even longer term perspective.
thanks