Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Angry Is it easy to remove DRM protection?

Is it easy to remove DRM protection from purchased eBooks in order to read them in Kindle 3?
Does this operation affects the layout?
Does it affects any function in Kindle such dictionary ?
thanks a lot
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I hear its easy once you know how......and it interferes with nothing, in any way.

If you are using Calibre as your book manager, I understand there is a "plug-in" that even does it for you.

I wouldn't know.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1) Depends on what type it is. B&N/eReader=easiest. iBooks=can't be done.

2) Sometimes, as .mobi format is … somewhat more lacking in the display department than epub. Also, KindleGen can introduce some really weird and annoying formatting errors, though Calibre might do better.

3) No. Dictionary, highlighting, text-to-speech etc. all work just the same.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
We can't give you many specifics to avoid embroiling Mobileread in legal issues...but Google is your friend. Try searching for a blog by Apprentice Alf or I love Cabbages...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You need Calibre to convert DRM-free ePub to DRM-free MOBI. The dictionary works on DRM-free MOBI on the Kindle, but you can only sync Kindle-store ebooks across Kindle devices and apps.

Calibre only format shifts DRM-free ebooks, but the tools_v2.2a bundle includes 3rd-party Calibre plug-ins to strip DRM from Adobe and B&N ePubs during the import proccess. See Apprentice Alf's blog, and don't forget that it is now over multiple pages.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Personally, I would say no. I know there are supposedly plug-ins, but they don't make much sense to me as they are poorly documented. Basically you need to understand Python (which frankly, I don't).

And if you buy from B&N, apparently the encryption they use is tied to your credit card. So to decrypt it, you need to give out your CC number, which is not going to happen as far as I am concerned.

Beyond that, there is a design feature in Calibre that for some reason makes the left margins gigantic when you convert certain epubs to mobi.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=330

And as I guess it's intentional, it's never going to be fixed.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Basically you need to understand Python (which frankly, I don't).
With the plugins, you need to know absolutely nothing about python. And I'm not sure how much more documented they could get.

Quote:
So to decrypt it, you need to give out your CC number, which is not going to happen as far as I am concerned.
That's misleading. You don't have to "give out" your CC number at all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
And if you buy from B&N, apparently the encryption they use is tied to your credit card. So to decrypt it, you need to give out your CC number, which is not going to happen as far as I am concerned.
The entire point of the plug-ins is that you don't need Python installed (because Calibre already includes part of Python). They started out poorly documented, but now the documentation for plug-ins appears ok to me. Also, if you don't mind installing Python (Windows PC), the original scripts are very easy to use. They are now OSX friendly too.

In either case, you need to type in your credit card name and number one time on your own computer - and the script or plug-in generates a key which is used from then on. The exact same process is used by Nook 4 PC, for example.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I guess I'm getting more dense in my old age but I'm kind of with Jeremy - not as simple as it could be but that again, I guess it is on the dark side of things. I did not see PLUG-INs per se. I saw a ton of subdirectories (giving away, somewhat my age), ahem, folders but maybe I needed a newer version.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I did not see PLUG-INs per se. I saw a ton of subdirectories (giving away, somewhat my age), ahem, folders but maybe I needed a newer version.
One of those folders has a name that should ring some bells... "Calibre_Plugins"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
So please what is your final conclusion ?? it is easy to convert them or not ?
i have to make decision between Kobo and Kindle based on your conclusion
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
it is easy to convert them or not ?
I suggest you download Calibre and tools_v2.2a and try it out on a test ePub ebook, e.g. from Kobo. You can test conversion to MOBI in Calibre and view the result in Calibre, or in Kindle 4 PC (or Kindle 4 Mac).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I think it is relatively easy, but the issue ends up being how computer savvy are you? Can you handle moving some files around in Windows Explorer? Can you maneuver are your hard drive a bit? If you can answer yes to those, then the rest is just a matter of following the directions on how to setup plugins in Calibre. There is even a nice Calibre forum here which can help in a generic sense (not with the specific DRM task).

If you have a hard time manipulating files in Windows, then it isn't that easy.

Python knowledge isn't important, but since this is the dark side, so to speak, the plugins and scripts aren't fancy, graphical windows programs that people might consider as easy as it gets. But, they are as easy as I've ever seen "dark side" software work.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Drm problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
So please what is your final conclusion ?? it is easy to convert them or not ?
i have to make decision between Kobo and Kindle based on your conclusion
It is now fairly straight forward to install the plugins for Calibre. And you no longer need to install Python. Once the plugins are installed, drm removal is a no brainer and totally automatic whenever you add a new book to Calibre. As Diapdealer states, for B&N, you only insert your cc number once on your own computer in Calibre as a drm removal reference, since this is how B&N ties the book to your account.

As mentioned above, try it out for yourself with a "free" book from your booksellers. If you get it working, you can purchase books from multiple booksellers and read them on whichever device you want.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
On the grapevine have heard it takes a while to work it all out, but once that is done, a friend has told me that it is very quick. He did not have to give his credit card details out to anyone, but they are inserted into part of a programme on your own computer. Apparently. So no need for scare tactics on that score.

Google is your friend.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote