Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Hello from Queensland

Hello everybody. I have been happily reading MobileRead forums for a couple of weeks now. Hoping it will help me decide which reader to buy. I am getting there but still have no reader

The field is getting narrower - not in the least because I live in Oz.

Thanks to all the contributors for your information I am finding it most useful. Cheers
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome!

It took me a while to decide what reader to buy. I must have looked through a thousand reviews for so many devices, until I just decided to go with the one that I thought I would like.

All the best with your e-reader shopping!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome SneakySnake.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellosnake.gif
Views:	181
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	48295 SneakySnake, and welcome to the forum.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day SneakySnake and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. Don't overlook the option to buy overseas and using a mailforwarder - I did that and saved heaps on my reader (which I dutiful spend on eBooks).

But good luck on finding the right reader for you. Don't wait too long - the perfect reader is not out yet.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi & welcome to MR.

I got my reader overseas as the prices were way better than here. Yep like Katti's Cat I spent the difference on ebooks!
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face

everyone for your advice.

I cant wait to get reading on a reader.

I am off to Dymocks (Chermside) on Monday to have a look. Although I know I will probably do better online, I want to touch one in real life

I seem to be spending a lot of my day in the MobileRead forums lately.(I really need to get some work done too... Oh well maybe tomorrow)

Hopefully I will decide which one soon. The Sony PRS-600 is looking good, if only I could afford the Iliad :

Cheers
Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Welcome SneakySnake!
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi and welcome SneakySnake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
:
I am off to Dymocks (Chermside) on Monday to have a look. Although I know I will probably do better online, I want to touch one in real life
It's certainly a good idea to try some for yourself if you can. If you haven't already checked by phone it might be worth confirming that your local Dymocks actually do have stock. It seems that many of them (being franchises) don't keep ereaders. The Sydney store seems to be the hub for e-stuff.

Harvey Normans have been stocking the iRiver Story, and I've come across places that have one or two others. But finding anything that you can actually try out in a store can still be a bit of a hunt. Good luck with your search.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Welcome. It's nice to have another Aussie here.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya SneakySnake. Good to meet you. Hope you make your mind up about a reader soon. There's quite a bunch of your fellow Australians here -- very generous with advice -- who should be able to help you make the best choice for Down Under.

Meanwhile maybe you'd like to try an ebook on your PC or laptop as a taster. my own wee publishing house has just released a fun novel by Queensland author Andrew Thelander, set on the Sunshine Coast. If you'd like tocast an eye, just drop me a line and I'd be happy to send you the PDF of *Last Birds* as a welcome to MR gift (paperback and other digital formats I'm afraid you'd have to pay for).

Best wishes and happy reading. Neil
ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course).
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Hello everybody. I have been happily reading MobileRead forums for a couple of weeks now. Hoping it will help me decide which reader to buy. I am getting there but still have no reader

The field is getting narrower - not in the least because I live in Oz.

Thanks to all the contributors for your information I am finding it most useful. Cheers
Hello there, SneakySnake! I'm a bit late, but welcome to MobileRead!

Hope you find a reader soon that meets your needs. One question you may want to consider: Do you underline or annotate when you read? If so, you'll want a reader on which you can do that; one that's also capable of downloading those notes to your computer. If you were in the U.S., I'd recommend a Kindle, but I don't know how well the international wireless works in Australia. I'm told the Sony readers are also excellent in their ability to annotate and highlight.

Love your user name! You should introduce yourself to KindleKitten. She loves snakes! On second thought, maybe not!

BTW, you do know you live on the only continent where the number of poisonous snakes outnumber the harmless ones, don't you?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-20-2010 at 08:51 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

that's why I have to be sneaky. so the poisonous ones dont get me.\

I am now tossing up between Sony 600 and an Iliad. Although I can't justify the cost of the Iliad. I am hoping I will still be able to read technical books on the 6" screen as I am now into VBA in MS excel and all the books(very heavy) have ebooks on disk with them.

thanks for your thoughts

Ssssssssnake
Old 03-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
It didn't take you too long to find your way over to the lounge.

Glad to see ya there.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote