Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Heatmizuh
Heatmizuh began at the beginning.

Device: None
Nook Sharing Site?

Hi All -- I pre-ordered my Nook, although I am now a little concerned about the 'Once Only' sharing feature -- which really irritates me, although I can understand it from the writers point of view.

Anyway, I ran across this site:

http://www.swapnook.com

that looks like it might facilitate lending. Not really sure, but I signed up anyway.

Has anyone heard if B&N will offer 'lend matching' or other sites that will do something similar?

Thanks!

Heat
Heatmizuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Interesting idea, thanks for the link! I signed up, I suppose its usefulness is directly proportional to the number of people who sign up. I wonder how it will work. Will users request titles or offer them? Or both?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I would certainly not give my email address to a site so barren of information.

I'm a little concerned there is no information on who runs this site, what the rules will be, or anything else for that matter.

Heatmizuh, do you know anything else about it?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It seems that it doesn't make any difference how restrictive the rules are there is someone out to figure out a way to break them and get something for nothing. And the product hasn't even shipped yet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Lol, I had this idea also. In fact, I probably registered my sites before this guy did. Clearly I've been beaten to the punch as far as setting up the site.

Oh well. After hearing you can only lend a book once, this "swap website" idea is really a waste of time (and money).

Here is my post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=250
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It seems that it doesn't make any difference how restrictive the rules are there is someone out to figure out a way to break them and get something for nothing. And the product hasn't even shipped yet.
I guess that's why the publishers insisted on limiting the lending function.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, interesting. it sounds like those (paper)bookswapping clubs, for ebooks. "ebook-crossing" ? but without the random adventure and seredipity, since the books can only be lent once.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

Dale
What rule-breaking are you talking about? The Nook allows you to lend your ebooks. It doesn't say you have to lend them to personal friends or family members. If you can only lend them once, that's a good reason to put together a website where people can requests books to borrow, and others can offer to loan them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
What rule-breaking are you talking about? The Nook allows you to lend your ebooks. It doesn't say you have to lend them to personal friends or family members. If you can only lend them once, that's a good reason to put together a website where people can requests books to borrow, and others can offer to loan them.
Technically you are correct. No actual rule is broken. But the intent was to share with a friend an occasional book that you found interesting, however the intent of the site is to try to get something for free and get every possible book the user is will to provide. I guess you don't see any difference. It is like a guy that used to work for me that every year used exactly every sick day, year after year. One year he actually got sick and there were no sick days left and he was very upset that he didn't get paid when he was sick. Pushing the boundaries is trying to take advantage of a good thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Technically you are correct. No actual rule is broken. But the intent was to share with a friend an occasional book that you found interesting, however the intent of the site is to try to get something for free and get every possible book the user is will to provide. I guess you don't see any difference.
I don't care what the seller's "intent" is, when I buy something. It doesn't come with a usage contract that says "you must read books the way we want them to be read." I don't buy books with an understanding that I'll be the only person reading them.

If I buy a car, it's not the seller's choice whether I drive it on city streets, for long freeway travel, or on closed race-courses that will burn out the clutch in a couple of months. If it's properly insured, I can share it with a pool of friends; we can arrange it so whoever needs a car can pick it up at a pre-established location and drive off with it. It doesn't matter what Ford or Toyota thinks it's supposed to be used for.

If I buy a set of crockery, the store doesn't get to tell me whether I shall cook with them in the oven, or the microwave, or smash them into pieces for an art project.

"Intent" is for personal relationships. For gifts among friends; sometimes, for sales among friends. If I buy my friend's pottery, she'll rightfully be very upset if I smash it for art projects.

I don't have a personal friendship with Barnes & Noble, and they have no legal or moral right to tell me how to use their products. I'm fairly sure they don't have a legal right to restrict loaning to one time, or a certain number of days. They don't have a legal obligation to provide more than that--but they don't have the right to restrict further loaning, if someone figures out how to do it.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
but they don't have the right to restrict further loaning, if someone figures out how to do it.
That part's easy. Just ship your Nook off to the borrower. No time limit. No fuss. Well, maybe a little fuss.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
That part's easy. Just ship your Nook off to the borrower. No time limit. No fuss. Well, maybe a little fuss.
See, that's not totally as crazy as it sounds. There are definitely times when I wish I could loan not just an ebook but the whole reader to someone who I think would appreciate the technology. It almost makes me want a spare reader just for this purpose, to loan books out.
I wonder if single accounts will work on multiple nooks. You can use the same account on multiple devices for B&N already, a computer and an iphone, for example, and they'll all sync up your bookmarks, etc.

But this *is* getting a little off topic. It should be noted that the LendMe stuff works across multiple device types, not just nook-to-nook. The lending site will work for those using B&N software on computers, iPhones, PDAs . . .
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
Elfwreck:

Apple has been getting away with this for years. If you ever read one of their software license agreements, they state how, when, where, etc. it is allowed for you to use the product. For example, it is considered a breach of that contract if you attempt to install a legally purchased copy of Mac OS X on a non-Apple computer.

I'm not saying it is right or I agree with it, just that companies do it and get away with it.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
Elfwreck:
Apple has been getting away with this for years. If you ever read one of their software license agreements, they state how, when, where, etc. it is allowed for you to use the product.
And calling it a "license" when it's actually a "sale" makes that contract void. And it's been ruled in court that, if they're not expecting to have it returned, it was sold, not licensed, regardless of the phrasing on the packaging.

"30 day free trial and then it stops working" has a license.
"Pay your $49.99 and you can use it forever (unless you do something we don't like, in which case we demand the right to remove it)" is a sale, and the parenthetical part has no legal force behind it.

Libraries license ebooks; they come with expiration dates. Fictionwise, Sony, Amazon, BoB sell ebooks... and they don't have the right to insist on one-reader-per-purchase.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
Heatmizuh
Heatmizuh began at the beginning.

Device: None
I would think before too long, somebody (Apple maybe?) will come along with something more 'lend friendly'. If the Lend Once thing is actually true then I am totally returning my Nook.

And you're right, those swapping sites would be more or less useless until some company lets us trade our books out freely -- or at least a better policy than only once.

Heat
Heatmizuh is offline   Reply With Quote