Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
WOW! The Kobo Forum is Almost Getting as Much Action as the Kindle Forum!!!

pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I know! It's starting to be work to keep up with all the threads.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wait until after Christmas. The most members ever online on MR was on Christmas day.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I suppose that's when most people get their new devices.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Wait until after Christmas. The most members ever online on MR was on Christmas day.
Looks like Christmas day may be a work day for some of us, after all!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Looks like Christmas day may be a work day for some of us, after all!
On the bright side for me, it IS a Sunday; and the weekends are the only days I don't do Meals on Wheels

But I'm sure Boxing day there will be special meals for my clients.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
geez
geez began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700, PB360(broken), PB360+, Kobo Touch
Unhappy

I keep returning to the Kobo section because I keep looking for a new firmware release.
I am kind disssapointed of the Kobo Touch even regret for having bought.
The battery life is shorter than my other e-readers, try w/wo airplane mode doesn't change a thing. There is no battery indicator while reading books, so when the battery is deplected, it simply turn off and request to be charge.
Even the speed is slower than my 4 years old sony prs700. The touch screen responsiveness is a kind of guessing game, will it turned the page instanously or in a few secondes.
The multiple bookmarks are not available for epub, only on kepub.
There is no "go to page", I have to slide section by section then page per page until I reach the page I wanted.
There is no folder/selections/selves option, books and photo are mixed-up altogether in "one" view.

Hope the multiple bookmarks for epub will be available on the next firmware release soon.
With a touch screen, the current last page read can easily get lost if you are not the sole reader (My toddlers played with the reader). Now I forbid them to touch the KT
geez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Strange.. I have NO issues at all with battery life; I tend to read a lot each day and can easily go a week or two without recharging.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
It seems because there are so many issues with the Vox. That's too bad.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That is no doubt part of it, but a big part is people reading, sharing, and learning about apps that folks might like to install and some basic Android how-to--especially people new to Android. Then there are the people who visit the forums just to see what folks are saying, people who don't own a Kobo product and are curious.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
It seems because there are so many issues with the Vox. That's too bad.
Of course it appears that way. Because the folks who are having problems are asking about them. However the 99% who aren't having any problems you won't see.

I've asked some questions because I was baffled. My questions are answered, my Vox is stable and running well. I might throw on a new browser to see if it's better. But I'm happy with the Vox.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geez View Post
I keep returning to the Kobo section because I keep looking for a new firmware release.
I am kind disssapointed of the Kobo Touch even regret for having bought.
The battery life is shorter than my other e-readers, try w/wo airplane mode doesn't change a thing. There is no battery indicator while reading books, so when the battery is deplected, it simply turn off and request to be charge.
Even the speed is slower than my 4 years old sony prs700. The touch screen responsiveness is a kind of guessing game, will it turned the page instanously or in a few secondes.
The multiple bookmarks are not available for epub, only on kepub.
There is no "go to page", I have to slide section by section then page per page until I reach the page I wanted.
There is no folder/selections/selves option, books and photo are mixed-up altogether in "one" view.
I do agree that the "reading experience" with the Kobo eReader app on the Vox is sub optimal. (Hows that for baffle gab?) Yes, it is missing a number of features that the Kobo Touch has.

As far as page turning goes that seems to me to be just fine. I'm wondering if it's someone not registering your tapping/swiping.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post

As far as page turning goes that seems to me to be just fine. I'm wondering if it's someone not registering your tapping/swiping.
I do get strange behaviour (responsiveness and sometimes double turning f.e.) on my KT from time to time as well. Maybe that's because I still have the protective foil shipped with the device applied (with bubbles on the edges and loosening as well), will see how it works out with the 3M replacement. Regarding battery life, I think it is indeed shy of (at least my) expectations. Maybe that's related to heavy usage of menues, dictionary etc., all requiring a full page refresh (afaik that drains more than just page turns). But even after figuring that in, my guess is I get only 4 to 6000 page turns before it request a recharge. And the behaviour (shutdown whilst reading without something like a 5 minutes/pages warning beforehand) is, imho, annoying.

Just my 2 cent.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I'm visiting here frequently just to keep up with what's happening with Kobo wi-fi and kobo touch, so I'll have a better idea which one to buy when I finally give up the kobo original.

My kobo original is still doing okay, so I'm still reading, not upgrading yet.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
TonyToews
Evangelist

winsomnia, I much prefer the Touch to the WiFi as the page turns are much faster.