Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #286
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Alf retire?

Say it isn't so!

Edit: the only change I saw in tools 3.2 was in K4mobiDeDRM which went from 1.9 to 2.1. Any other changes? I assume that's the only plug-in that needs to be updated.
The release notes (in a comment at Alf's Blog) say that there was also a change in the script that fixes up zip files, [EDIT] but the plugins that include the zipfix.py script weren't updated.

If you don't use calibre and the plugins, it seems there's now a Drag&Drop tool for windows that has similar functionality to the Mac OS X DeDRM AppleScript that Alf wrote.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-18-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: just checked the archive itself, and found I was wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #287
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I use calibre and the plug-ins. Some of that stuff only applies to a Mac. I'm not sure which is which. All I've ever done (or known to do) is upgrade the plug-ins. I'm in a PC environment with multiple flavors of Windows from XP/home to 7/64.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #288
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I use calibre and the plug-ins. Some of that stuff only applies to a Mac. I'm not sure which is which. All I've ever done (or known to do) is upgrade the plug-ins. I'm in a PC environment with multiple flavors of Windows from XP/home to 7/64.
If you use calibre, the plugins are certainly the best way to go, IMO.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #289
joecap
joecap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is just silly. What a strange world we live in.
The ability to change an ebook from one form or another is no different than
buying a CD, and then recording it to cassette tape so you can play what you have spent money on in a different format. Are they going to make that illegal too?
I know they talk about it, but as long as you are not distributing it to others, I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble for that.

Do they do it to FORCE you to pick their reader over another? That's senseless as well.
Don't these companies realize that you will likely spend more money on ebooks over time than you will on the reader itself...I would think that B & N would would specifically NOT use DRM, and encourage Kindle readers to spend money on their books and convert them just so they COULD read them on a Kindle...this is money they are losing, no?

This it like them saying: "No, I will NOT sell you 500 bucks worth of ebooks because you won't spend 250 on my reader!"
joecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #290
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1529 View Post
oh pardon me i had the game on and didn't realize
It's not funny. Nobody here is going to help you steal books. We don't do that here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #291
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The release notes (in a comment at Alf's Blog) say that there was also a change in the script that fixes up zip files, [EDIT] but the plugins that include the zipfix.py script weren't updated.
It seems that although Apprentice Alf's retired, some of his friends are continuing to support the dedrm tools.

There's now a 3.3 archive containing a few bug fixes for the tools, including changing the plug-ins for ePubs to use the zipfix script first.

I can't give a link to the tools, of course, but it can be found in the usual blogs.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #292
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
There are advantages to an open and a closed format.

this might be a bit OT but it is still about technology.

Back in 1983 there was a video game crash. Countless companies got into video games and made utter crap. The consumer was confused and the platform makers did not have any form of encryption to really prevent this.

A few years later Nintendo came out and they had a very strict policy that pretty much would prevent other companies from licensing. Some attempted but lawsuits tried to block them (google Tengen tetris..it was interesting)

It should be noted that in this industry the systems are sold at or below cost to be made up in the cost of games. 3rd party game companies pay a fee for each one sold. So eventually there is a ratio to profitibility

Fast forward a bit to say today. apples ipad, iphone/ipod touch do well but the apps store isn't open... this is also why Android I feel will eventually overtake apple (that and the fact that the hardware sells clones)

Since hardware prices keep going down it only makes sense that the makers of these e readers seem at least a tad protective of encryption and how things work. If Amazon didn't want it to be a open system they shouldn't have made it with linux..heck nook has android on it which again is a open system.

If file conversion wasn't allowed (legally here..I have some word docs that were put to azw for a class) then the devices wouldn't sell.it is impossible to day to have a totally closed system and expect it to last forever like that.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #293
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Tools is now up to 3.6 - I gather changes in regular and topaz kindle books drove the fixes.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #294
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
[QUOTE=curstpriest;1245528]II mean honestly, I can't think of a single person I know or have ever met who has never made use of illegally downloaded music (knowingly, or unknowingly, as a gift or whatever)/QUOTE]

I think it depends on age. I didn't get an ipod until after the crash of Napster, so the issue of illegally downloading music never occured to me.

I never smoked weed, either, and I can't blame age. I guess I was just a nerd, and it seems too late now. I guess I will wait until I need it for medical reasons. . .
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #295
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I don't use the Calibre's k4mobidedrm plugin. It renames the file extension from .azw to .mobi. I want .azw files in Calibre, to keep as source files to convert my books from.

So, I use the KindleBooks tool. Has that been updated?

[EDIT] "Last modified [Jan 28, 2011]" ...it would appear so.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-19-2011 at 01:19 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #296
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
I don't use the Calibre's k4mobidedrm plugin. It renames the file extension from .azw to .mobi. I want .azw files in Calibre, to keep as source files to convert my books from.

So, I use the KindleBooks tool. Has that been updated?

[EDIT] "Last modified [Jan 28, 2011]" ...it would appear so.
Can't you set calibre to convert to .azw?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #297
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I thought Calibre did not alter the original file in any way. I thought it reads the original and then processes that information and creates a new file in whatever format you have selected. I would imagine you could change the file's extension (maybe outside of the calibre process/library)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #298
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
ooh... this new DeDRM_WinApp is handy. I don't need to copy/paste my pid/serial anymore as it saves my preferences, and it handles more ebook drm than just Amazon's.

It does, however, rename the file to .mobi but I can rename that easily.

I don't like it when Calibre does it because I have to remove/add the ebook in Calibre after I change the file extension anyway and it bothers me to have to add it twice.

[edit] I do wish that there was a standalone version of this, so that I could use it in the case that I was on the go and away from a machine with python on it. [/edit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Can't you set calibre to convert to .azw?
Nope. You can convert from .azw but not to it in Calibre. Technically, .azw and .mobi are the same thing anyway, so Calibre doesn't bother to include both file extensions as an output option, only .mobi. In a way, this is a bonus for me as having .azw files in Calibre ensures that I have a source copy of my Amazon-bought ebooks which will never be overwritten by Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I thought Calibre did not alter the original file in any way. I thought it reads the original and then processes that information and creates a new file in whatever format you have selected. I would imagine you could change the file's extension (maybe outside of the calibre process/library)
My experience has been that if an .azw has drm on it, Calibre's k4mobidedrm plugin breaks the file and has Calibre add it to the library as .mobi. It's not altering the file in changing the extentsion because .azw and .mobi are basically the same thing. However, I want azw files in Calibre to use as my primary input files.

Yes, I can open the liberated file's location, change the extension, delete the original entry in Calibre and re-add the ebook to Calibre again, but it means fewer steps if I just use drm removal tools outside of Calibre instead.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-19-2011 at 01:37 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #299
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
However, I want azw files in Calibre to use as my primary input files.
This would be fairly easy to achieve by editing a single line of code in the plugin. But I can't for the life of me see any measurable advantage to it, since azw = mobi. Must be an OCD thing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote