Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
UK/European Agency Model introduced

Today I noticed that my BooksOnBoard wishlist was missing over 10 books since I last checked on Sunday. I emailed BoB about this and just got a reply. It seems Hachette has introduced the Agency Model for Europe since 20 September. They have made their title unavailable until everything is set up (haven't they learned from the US process in April?!).

Full BoB reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your patience. Hachette Book Group has adopted the Agency Model fixed eBook pricing for Europe beginning Sep 20, 2010. How does Agency Model affect the customer? All retailers must sell the titles at the price set by the publisher, no discounts or promotions allowed. Further, retailers must collect sales taxes required by the nexus where the customer resides. Titles by this publisher will be temporarily unavailable while the new distribution system and meta data is loaded. If these titles were previously saved to the user wishlist, they will be deleted as the distributor feed updates our catalog and deletes them from our catalog. It may take some time before these titles are returned to our site as new contracts/agreements are required between publishers-distributors-retailers and publishers are testing retailer distribution systems and pricing to make certain that all requirements of Agency are met before allowing distribution of their titles to be re-established. If there is no change to the meta data fields that identify the titles (master ID, SKU, etc.) the titles should reappear on their own in your wishlist when they are again available in our catalog.

We regret this temporary situation and of course will work as diligently as possible to return this product to our catalog as soon as possible.
Hopefully all the missing books will return soon and I hope the price won't have increased too much. I also hope that the Barnaby/Midsommer Murder by Caroline Graham series will be complete, it was missing book 3 and (I think) 5 of the series as ebooks, which annoyed me greatly.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 09-21-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere. Some retailers appear to have temporarily removed the books, but Amazon haven't - at least not yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This might explain why the Hachette book I bought yesterday from Cyberread.com wont download and gives me the error "The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later."

I'm in the US not UK so I guess this will effect everyone.

I contacted their support and they are looking into it but obviously they are clueless to what is going on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hoorray for the darknet? I swear, those publishers want us to go there!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Does this fall foul of free trade and competition laws in the UK and Europe?
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
Does this fall foul of free trade and competition laws in the UK and Europe?
One would have thought so - the Net Book Agreement, which sought to artificially keep up the retail price at which paper books were sold, was declared to be against the public interest in the nineties. I can't see any difference between the effect of the NBA and the Agency Model. But it would have to be tested legally I guess.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They certainly seem intent on sending us there!

Luddites still living in the dark ages, determined to become extinct.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Exodus.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I must say that I'm very tempted to go to the darknet. The only problems are my taste in books and that most of those darknet sites want you to register and I don't want to do that.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
What is the darkent??

Is it illegal downlaoding from Torrents???
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
What is the darkent??

That is part of it.
But there are other parts.
The "classic darknet" resides on Usenet, IRC, and private channels...
And then there is the technical definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_(file_sharing)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
What is the darkent??

It is perfectly legal to download linux using torrents file

It is not legal when you are talking copyrighted content. Don't pirate books (or anything else) people. Publishers acts like idiots, that don't mean we have to act like idiots too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is part of it.
But there are other parts.
The "classic darknet" resides on Usenet, IRC, and private channels...
And then there is the technical definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_(file_sharing)
man...you made me feel old...I wonder how many people here today don't know about usenet simply because they came along after that was the "big thing" online after the old Bulletin Board days...as the every-man's option for getting "online".

Come to think of it, where I once used the good old usenet for all my tech support needs, I haven't even looked at them in a number of years. Too much background noise...you know just like the way the web is heading these days.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
man...you made me feel old...I
You went from young and hip -------- to old and classic without your knowledge.

Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Wyzo is a web browser that works very well with torrents. Just be careful that what you download is legal.

Wyzo For Windows and Mac.

"BitTorrent Integration
Downloading BitTorrent files has never been easier - Wyzo lets you browse and download torrents right from within your surfing environment - thats right, no other software required!"

"Fully Compatible
Wyzo is fully compatible with all your favourite Add-ons for Mozilla-based browsers, such as Firefox..."
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote