Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
'Barnes & Noble clearly want consumers to think that this *is* a Kindle'

A review and comparison:

Quote:
The Kindle 3 and Nook Simple Touch cost about the same, weigh about the same, feel about the same, and have the same-generation, same-resolution e-ink screen. (The weight and thickness are both technically different, but the difference isn’t meaningful during use.) The bezels are about the same color and thickness. They both even use the otherwise rare PMN Caecilia font by default, and both display pictures of famous dead authors as “screensavers” when they’re asleep.
Quote:
Barnes & Noble has copied so many facets of the Kindle that they clearly want consumers to think that this is a Kindle. They’re unquestionably trying to cause confusion in the market, presumably to increase their chances.
Quote:
The touch-screen navigation, overall, is great.

The Nook embarrasses the Kindle for everything that Kindle users need to use the 5-way buttons for: menu navigation, book selection, table-of-contents navigation (especially in periodicals), and text selection for highlights or definitions.
Quote:
Overall, I’d classify this Nook as being a generational equivalent to the Kindle 3, but the Kindle 3 is nearly a year old. Launching an equivalent competitor to it today is like launching an iPad 1 competitor in February 2011.

I’d be much more impressed with this Nook had it launched last summer, and it worries me that B&N is only now using the same e-ink screen generation that Amazon had then. (What will the next Kindle use?)

But I like it. And I love the touch interface.

If the review ended here, I’d probably conclude that the Nook is a great alternative to the Kindle for nearly all potential buyers.
http://www.marco.org/2011/06/03/nook...e-touch-review
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what a joke, does this guy know the kindle did not invent eink, nor were they the first one to use it, they did not invent the square , and DID NOT INVENT THE EREADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's odd I find that alot of kindle fan boys share alot of the same traits as apple fan boys, they seem to think they created the product itself. Just a really bizarre mindset.

another roll of the eyes.

Hardware they aren't even on the same planet, egads the kindle has always since day one looked like a stupid oversized calculator from the 80's. what is this guy smoking. and if he knows anything about eink like he claims then he would have been well aware of the fact that e ink corp. has announced no new advancements for 2011 and into 2012.

Wow just WOW

Last edited by boswd; 06-04-2011 at 01:06 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
People just can't bring themselves to give credit where credit is due. That's a sad trait to have."It doesn't garner my interest, so it's crap." Childish.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
For the mostpart, I think it is more of getting processors getting to handle the existing displays better, than improving tech. When it comes to contrast, etc, they've hit a plateau. They've already shown that with improving the processors and how they work with the available displays, they can speed it up and get video running on eink.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
"It doesn't garner my interest, so it's crap." Childish.
He didn't say that.

He said: "But I like it. And I love the touch interface."
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
There's something about the design of the Kindle3 that is nice. It just makes sense for people to copy it.

A dedicated ereader does not need a touchscreen though, since 99% of the touches will be for pageturns, a simple button will suffice. The review says the buttons on the new nook are worse than the Kindle so I will stay away.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
what a joke, does this guy know the kindle did not invent eink, nor were they the first one to use it,
I'm not sure how that relates to his review.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
He didn't say that.

He said: "But I like it. And I love the touch interface."
his claims of the nook copying the kindle is a complete joke even you have to admit that.

and to be honest Amazon has copied and reacted more to BN then BN to Amazon

price reduction
wifi only
LendMe
Library lending
and how much do you want to bet they do a touch as well.

the guy's a joke.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure how that relates to his review.
the things he is claiming BN did to copy the kindle. I mean the harware isn't the same, he can say it is all he wants but its not nor does it make it true.

saying they are using kindles same generation screen. This is a really bad amateur write up from someone who doesn't know the industry all that well.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
his claims of the nook copying the kindle is a complete joke even you have to admit that.
No, I think everyone has their own opinion and he expressed his in a lengthy and thorough way.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned

http://twitter.com/#!/marcoarment/st...86617293467648
http://twitter.com/#!/marcoarment/st...91990691823616

marco says:
Quote:
Add to the list of beehives I've poked: rabid Nook fans. (This one's just funny.)

Last edited by RockdaMan; 06-04-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
boswd
Banned

you follow that dude on twitter, ok that's a little creepy but anywho just trying to keep it real my friend. He uses his twitter and his blog for his rabid fanboyism so whatever.

Last edited by boswd; 06-04-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
you follow that dude on twitter, ok that's a little creepy
I stopped using Google Reader, and instead I follow the twitter accounts of blogs, companies, and others that I am interested in.

Fabulous way to keep up with sports, general news and tech in no time at all.

I find it interesting that you called him a fanboy when it was you that rushed off an email of complaint about his review.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I stopped using Google Reader, and instead I follow the twitter accounts of blogs, companies, and others that I am interested in.

Fabulous way to keep up with sports, general news and tech in no time at all.

I find it interesting that you called him a fanboy when it was you that rushed off an email of complaint about his review.

but I don't use a blog and a twitter account to exploit it like he does .

and I find it interesting that your rushed out to read his twitter and then post it here in no time. I don't need you to try to embarrass me. I do a good job at it all on my own

and come on Rock you're I'm sure you're wearing a black turtle neck and jeans as we speak. with a neon Apple sign glowing in your room now aren't ya?

Last edited by boswd; 06-04-2011 at 03:21 AM.