Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
radhak
radhak began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook usage Internationally / Asia / India : your experiences please?

I want to buy the Nook Color here in the US, play with it a couple of weeks, and then take it to Mumbai, India for my parents. They are not very web or computer savvy, but they do use their PC nowadays.

My dad would like to read books and newspapers like the NYT, while my mom might be more interested in Facebook to look at pictures and videos posted by family (she never posts anything). They will only use it indoors.

I plan to pre-load it with books from the US, and even activate newspaper membership. If they want anything else, it'd just be a phone call to me, and I purchase it here and they download it there.

Do you think this will work? Does the newspaper subscription sound viable (daily download to a non-US IP)? Does web-browsing (or facebook) work okay outside the US out-of-the-box, or do I need to mask the IP address?

I am sure many would have tried any or all of these before, right?

And yes, I figured the Nook Color is the best for doing all that, unless somebody tells me that the Kindle (or anything else) could do this too.
radhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhak View Post
I want to buy the Nook Color here in the US, play with it a couple of weeks, and then take it to Mumbai, India for my parents. They are not very web or computer savvy, but they do use their PC nowadays.

My dad would like to read books and newspapers like the NYT, while my mom might be more interested in Facebook to look at pictures and videos posted by family (she never posts anything). They will only use it indoors.

I plan to pre-load it with books from the US, and even activate newspaper membership. If they want anything else, it'd just be a phone call to me, and I purchase it here and they download it there.

Do you think this will work? Does the newspaper subscription sound viable (daily download to a non-US IP)? Does web-browsing (or facebook) work okay outside the US out-of-the-box, or do I need to mask the IP address?

I am sure many would have tried any or all of these before, right?

And yes, I figured the Nook Color is the best for doing all that, unless somebody tells me that the Kindle (or anything else) could do this too.
There is only an IP-address check when buying things from B&N. Everything that has been bought can be downloaded anywhere in the world.
You can also use the browser anywhere in the world.
So everything will work fine.

If you install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50) on your parents PC, they can buy books, newspapers, magazines and apps from the B&N website themselves.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
radhak

Oh - so it's just the B&N purchases that have the IP address issue. Good to know that, thanks!

Yes, I guess I could set them up with HotSpotShield.

Am now wondering - maybe my local library books could be available to them to read too, if I set it up! That could be all they need for their reading, and for free!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
BN will not honor the warranty of anything happens to it outside of the US.

I would look for something else. The Kobo is suppose to be going international and Sony already is. The Kindle is also international.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
No ereaders have local support because of the small market here (not even Kindle; I live in Singapore), so I based my decision on the ereader that best suits my needs. By the way, make sure that the voltage is the same, and gift your parents a plug adapter as well!

On the international issue: If the ereader goes kapuk elsewhere, you're still in US and they can ship the device back to you for warranty. I have argued this numerous times and I don't understand why this seems to be a larger issue than it is. I don't have a friend living long-term in the US but I don't see any problems with shipping the item back should it go mad.

It should be mentioned that getting the device repaired would be a pain in the arse but it's not impossible. The device is targeted at a market who may or may not be frequent flyers, and it would not make sense to say that if an American faces problems with the device while outside of US, that warranty is void. It's like Apple products and their local warranty, only valid locally. It does not place any geographical restrictions on where the damage was made.

I like that there is someone reminding others of this troublesome method is fine and dandy, and it is of course best to be checking out the local competition to get the best support, but to put someone off a legitimately decent product completely seems a bit too much.

Sorry to go off-tangent like this, but it's annoying having incredibly marked-up ereaders locally (some obscure brand name that I wouldn't touch with a six-feet pole) and nothing else, while I read of people dissuading others of the wonders of a proper e-reader at a low price. Not targeted at poster personally.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhak View Post
Am now wondering - maybe my local library books could be available to them to read too, if I set it up! That could be all they need for their reading, and for free!
If you let them log in to your library account that can absolutely read "your" library books!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not taking it personally since I suggested two other low price alternatives. (winks)

Sony and Amazon both have good reputations on dealing with returns across the globe. I have not heard much about Kobo. BN has a clear track record that they will not replace or deal with machines that are coming from out of the country.

So there are good e-reader options that would give the OP a better sense of security if something should go wrong.

The Nook Color is a good little reader. I just don't think it is a good international reader.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
BN has a clear track record that they will not replace or deal with machines that are coming from out of the country.
Ahh, your posting makes sense then. I never saw this mentioned before I purchased my simple touch though, did you have problems personally?

Anyway OP is within the US and though I hardly doubt that such a method should be encouraged, he's free to have his parents send back a faulty set and then forward it on to B&N, no?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Why do that when you can buy devices that don't require the run a round?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Ryvyan
I read what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Why do that when you can buy devices that don't require the run a round?
Unfortunately, even big giant Sony has no support for their e-readers here in Singapore. Most people here shipped their e-readers from overseas through third-parties because Amazon does not ship direct (not for Kindle, and I believe not for Sony as well); B&N does not ship direct. Possibly the only ones are Kobo and Pocketbook, but even so, still no local support.

So yes, support was initially less important than the features of the e-reader. With all the restrictions and trouble, the features suddenly become more important than whether I can get it repaired locally or not.

To be honest, e-readers are not that expensive. It hardly makes a dent in my spending, and usually people who want such a niche product would look more for features anyway.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Cool enough. I am sure your parents will enjoy the Nook Color. It is suppose to be a nice little e-reader
Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
radhak

Thanks y'all for the discussion and the info. I bought the Nook Color because I (and my daughters) liked it whenever we saw it in the store, and it allowed library books while the Kindle did not. Unfortunately the Sony or the Kobo were not available for evaluation and I did not have time to do the 'hands on'. And I was not sure of the Facebook experience on any other while it is neat on the NC.

At the same time, as mentioned above, it is not extremely expensive. This is the first eReader for us, and it will go to my parents on almost an experimental basis, and we visit constantly, so the warranty could be covered.

But I have not yet taken the $50 warranty yet (I'm told there's a 14 day grace period ) : is it useful, and does BN stand behind it? And will I find myself up-the-creek without it?