Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
B&N: 150 hours and 25000 page turns on nook TSR

Quote:
With WiFi disabled on both devices, B&N says it managed 150 hours on the new Nook when turning a page every minute. The current-gen Kindle, meanwhile, petered out after 56.
Quote:
(...) the All-New NOOK offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
That kills the new Kobo Touch's 10,000 page turns.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It was once common for EInk Readers to quote battery charge life in page turns, see the E-book Reader Matrix. These typically range from 7,000 to 10,000 and are likely similar to B&N's page turn per second test. Note that B&N may be getting more page turns because they don't do an anti-ghosting flash on every page turn.

The quoted page turn every minute rates (from B&N) are only 9,000 and 3,360 pages for Nook2 and K3. Showing that the max page turn battery lifetimes are not very useful for any EInk reader.

Amazon's new claim that 1 month with 1 hour per day reading is the same as 2 months with 30 minutes per day reading implies that there is no battery loss when not reading on the K3. This does not pass the smell test.

If the 1-2 month life is based on 1 minute between page turns, about half the battery is consumed in reading on the K3 (30 hours out of 56 hours). So half is consumed not reading and the 30 minute per day lifetime is likely 6 weeks rather than 8 weeks. On the Nook2, only 20% of the battery is consumed reading (30 hours out of 150 hours). So 80% is consumed not reading, and the 1 hour per day lifetime might be 6 weeks or more.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
One question: Who reads at one page a minute? Maybe I just speed read too much, but that seems like an awfully long time to read a single page with medium sized print, i.e. not proper means-testing.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
One question: Who reads at one page a minute? Maybe I just speed read too much, but that seems like an awfully long time to read a single page with medium sized print, i.e. not proper means-testing.
I'm a slow reader. I read silently at the same speed I read aloud. I prefer audiobooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Interesting. Amazon has matched the battery life by tweaking their testing to match Barnes and Noble's ones:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...eed&subj=Crave
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Does it matter? The page turns are what consumes most of the energy, so if you spend 20 seconds or a minute on the page probably makes very little difference.
But to answer your question, use a smaller font (on a pearl screeen even I can use S quite often, my daughter uses XS on her 5" Sony), read advanced text, maybe in foreign language and I'm sure many would use 1 minute/page.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative

Well if you did a page turn every 30 seconds, you'd end up with (roughly) half the battery life they are claiming, without including other factors. So really they're making hugely false claims when it comes to battery life.
Then again, when have large companies claimed accurate "average" battery life?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
And that is why battery life needs to be given in page turns.
Like it has been said in other topics (and maybe earlier in this?), you simply cannot cunt in so or so many days/weeks/months.
1 hour/day for a month, 30 minutes/day for two months?
1 turn/minute, 150 hours/60 days=2,5 hours/day.
2,5 turns/minute, 150 hours/60 days=1 hour/day.

I'm guessing that's what you're saying as well, isn't it?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
you simply cannot cunt in so or so many days/weeks/months
But that shouldn't stop you from trying!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
And that is why battery life needs to be given in page turns.
Like it has been said in other topics (and maybe earlier in this?), you simply cannot cunt in so or so many days/weeks/months.
1 hour/day for a month, 30 minutes/day for two months?
1 turn/minute, 150 hours/60 days=2,5 hours/day.
2,5 turns/minute, 150 hours/60 days=1 hour/day.

I'm guessing that's what you're saying as well, isn't it?
But again, how useful are page turns? as the 3rd post indicates, you could have 9000 or 25000 depending on how often you turn a page, so any value is only a ball park figure. what is interesting is what B&N did, pick 2 readers and subject to the same test, so at least you have relative battery capacities.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Does it really matter? After all, even a week (which is more likely for me) without charging is pretty good, and all the eInks seem to give that. It seems pointless to argue about which has longer battery life based on what the manufacturer/seller claims. I certainly don't believe every claim made by a company, especially if it is made for marketing purposes.

The only way to get a fair comparison is to know the maximum battery capacity and divide that by the device power drain per page turn/WiFi per unit/etc. For example, a device with 1000 mAh that consumes 0.1 mAmps per page turn and X mAmps per hour of WiFi activity. Since every reader company lists their battery life using different criteria, you cannot really compare them.

If it lasts a week, then that is really good and everyone should be happy. The only battery longevity fact that should impact eInk reader sales is if a particular device has a major battery drain issue. Otherwise they all pretty much have way more capacity than most of us need or require.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Does it really matter? After all, even a week (which is more likely for me) without charging is pretty good, and all the eInks seem to give that. It seems pointless to argue about which has longer battery life based on what the manufacturer/seller claims. I certainly don't believe every claim made by a company, especially if it is made for marketing purposes.

The only way to get a fair comparison is to know the maximum battery capacity and divide that by the device power drain per page turn/WiFi per unit/etc. For example, a device with 1000 mAh that consumes 0.1 mAmps per page turn and X mAmps per hour of WiFi activity. Since every reader company lists their battery life using different criteria, you cannot really compare them.

If it lasts a week, then that is really good and everyone should be happy. The only battery longevity fact that should impact eInk reader sales is if a particular device has a major battery drain issue. Otherwise they all pretty much have way more capacity than most of us need or require.
I agree, though the original nook was far from a week of reading time, if you read more than 1 hour a day. The new nook should give at least a week for moderate (2 or 3 hours a day) reading time, according to the info we've seen - certainly enough for most folks. And we should see the end of the complains "I can't take it on a long flight"!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
you have to pick a time and work with that, this could be an endless game no matter which time you set per page.

Who reads a page in 20 seconds?
Who reads a page in 45 seconds?
Who reads a page in 36 seconds?
You can go on all day, you are never going to pick a number that makes everyone happy.

You pick a number and you use that as your base to do your testing.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I agree, though the original nook was far from a week of reading time, if you read more than 1 hour a day. The new nook should give at least a week for moderate (2 or 3 hours a day) reading time, according to the info we've seen - certainly enough for most folks. And we should see the end of the complains "I can't take it on a long flight"!
Ow wow! I had no idea the original Nook had that kind of battery issues. Even with the assumed exaggeration by B&N over the new Nook battery life, it should be quite a huge improvement.

Note: I'm NOT bashing B&N over the exaggeration. Most companies do this. I don't think I've ever gotten the EPA estimated fuel economy listed for any car I ever owned! Like a friend of mine used to say, "I don't lie, I just tell the truth 5 or 6 different ways." I think the eBook reader companies love to tell the truth 5 or 6 different ways too. That is why they pay big bucks for marketing people.