Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
tigerlily93
tigerlily93 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 650
Sleep button not working

I've had my ereader since December now and it worked just fine up until a few week ago. Then it started randomly going into sleep mode and not staying off when I turned it off. It seems to have stopped going into sleep mode unasked but now the sleep/on off button doesn't work. It will slide but it won't actually turn the device on or off. I have tried resetting it multiple times and it doesn't seem to help. In fact I've been resorting to using the reset button as a sort of on button, as its the only way I can get it to turn on. Any suggestions?
tigerlily93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Not a suggestion, really, but mine is a little flaky too. Sometimes it turns on/off right away, but most times I have to try several times before it "takes" without immediately turning back off/on. So for me, it just takes patience. Yours might be worse, though.

I'm not sure using the reset as an on/off switch is such a good idea -- not that I know anything about it, really, just a feeling.

Good luck, and I hope someone who knows more will answer!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
tigerlily93
tigerlily93 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 650
Haha, probably not. I think it first started behaving erraticly after I updated it. I've reset it, both with the reset button and a whole wipe reset, but for whatever reason the power buton still doesn't work. Other than the fact that I can't properly turn it on and that it changes from off to sleep mode it works fine
tigerlily93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily93 View Post
Haha, probably not. I think it first started behaving erraticly after I updated it. I've reset it, both with the reset button and a whole wipe reset, but for whatever reason the power buton still doesn't work. Other than the fact that I can't properly turn it on and that it changes from off to sleep mode it works fine
The same thing happened to my device about a week or two ago and it started with the sleep button not working properly until the point where if I hit any button it would go into sleep mode/standby and now I don't think it ever actually goes to sleep. I'm waiting for my replacement reader to come in and I'm looking forward to it because the battery drains in less than a day at this point.

Anyways, I'm not sure when you got your device but if it's still under warranty I'd look into calling Sony because this sounds like a hardware problem.

I also did the hard reset and it did not fix my device.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Try cleaning the screen real well. Feedback from the touch display could cause problems.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Do you have standard Sony firmware installed?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
thawk
Connoisseur
thawk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
I don't have a 650, but my 505 had similar problem months ago. After reformting the internal memory, the sleep button work again. I don't know if it works for 650 or not.
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote