Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Ray Tayek
Enthusiast
Ray Tayek began at the beginning.

Device: as many as possible
how to get a serif font to work in an epub

hi, trying ti get a serif font to work in an epub made by calibre.

i am altering the css by adding:

body {
font-family: "Times", "Times New Roman", serif;
}

to the stylesheet.css file in the unzipped epub.

doing a kindlegen on the opf, and viewing the mobi file in kindle reader shows me a serif font.

zipping up the epub (it still passes epubcheck) and viewing with mobi reader shows me a sans-serif font.

how do i make the epub use a serif font?

thanks
Ray Tayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Tayek View Post
zipping up the epub (it still passes epubcheck) and viewing with mobi reader shows me a sans-serif font.
If "mobi reader" is Windows MobiPocket Reader (WMR), it does not read ePub directly. If you "import" an ePub WMR will convert it to MOBI and then display the MOBI. You could just as easily have it read the MOBI from kindlegen (WMR invokes an older version of kindlegen to do the conversion).

The usual advise for a MOBI ebook is not to set the font, because WMR (for example) allows the reader to choose the font they like. I think it should honor "serif" though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Tayek View Post
hi, trying ti get a serif font to work in an epub made by calibre.

i am altering the css by adding:

body {
font-family: "Times", "Times New Roman", serif;
}

to the stylesheet.css file in the unzipped epub.
It is probably easier and less error prone to use Calibre's Extra CSS to do this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Ray Tayek
Enthusiast
Ray Tayek began at the beginning.

Device: as many as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is probably easier and less error prone to use Calibre's Extra CSS to do this.
i'll give that a try.

thanks
Ray Tayek is offline   Reply With Quote