Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
How much does using SD card affect battery life?

Hello there

I’ve recently acquired a standard 2gig Scandisk SD card. Is there a notable difference in battery life with using an SD card? Also, should I have purchased one of the ‘ultra fast’ versions? I’ve seen some discussions regarding these questions but it is still not clear to me.

Cheers
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I measured the battery usage and the difference is very little. You can check the numbers here. Or for the post with the numbers you can click here .

Last edited by diabloNL; 05-10-2007 at 04:04 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I've noticed that it really only puts more drain on the battery when you remove it and insert it again. I guess, reading all that data from the card uses the battery but once it's stored in the reader's memory it doesn't seem to drain the battery much.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
I've noticed that it really only puts more drain on the battery when you remove it and insert it again. I guess, reading all that data from the card uses the battery but once it's stored in the reader's memory it doesn't seem to drain the battery much.
That's something I didn't measure. The actual battery usage when the Reader gets data from the SD.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I don't understand this Karma thing -- DiabloNL has posted 379 posts and has a karma almost double that. I've posted 77 posts and my karma is just about 1/4 of that.

Can anybody explain it to me? I'm feeling just a bit karma-deprived at the moment.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ask, and you shall receive, dhbaily.

If it makes you feel any better yours is higher than mine was this time a year ago, and I'd been around for about a month longer.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote