Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #12331
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Finished a reread of The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie in preparation to read books 2 and 3 of the series. Originally read in February of 2011. Amazing how some of the details have disappeared from my memory. A great dark fantasy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #12332
lionelsnod
lionelsnod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For fans of Stieg Larson I recommend Henning Mankell. He's a Swedish author with some similarites. I should say the Kurt Wallander series to be precise. He has other books, but the Wallander series are the only ones that I've read. They are kind of heavy, you may want to read something a little lighter after you're done, but I really like them. I just finished The Dogs of Riga.
lionelsnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #12333
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
My only exposure to the Inspector Morse books is from the wonderful series of TV adaptions. From your description I would love to read the books. Unfortunately it seems that some of the ebooks are available for purchase in the US, while some are not. It appears Last Bus to Woodstock is not.
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Presumably it's the usual case of the UK publisher releasing the eBooks and the US publisher not doing so. What a nuisance. I do hope you they become available to you before too long.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #12334
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd rather read them as eBooks as well, maybe they'll be available as Ebooks by the next time around. But since I have the hardbacks and they are reading just fine, they'll just have to do (since Pottermore is dragging its collective feet). I'd forgotten just how full of important story arc info it was. I've enjoyed this reading immensely and am now done and on to Year 5, Order of the Phoenix!
I'm finished with my re-read of Year 5, Order of the Phoenix and just put it back on the shelf and grabbed up Year 6, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #12335
lemurfist
lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.

Device: nook
The film adaptation of Order of the Phoenix was the one that finally pushed me to read the books.There were such blatant holes in plot/characters that I could tell they'd excised plenty of material. Was going to say the book was such an improvement that I never watched the other three films. Then the wife reminded me that we did sit through it about six months back. She fell asleep and seems to have found the whole experience far more memorable than I.
lemurfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #12336
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurfist View Post
The film adaptation of Order of the Phoenix was the one that finally pushed me to read the books.There were such blatant holes in plot/characters that I could tell they'd excised plenty of material. Was going to say the book was such an improvement that I never watched the other three films. Then the wife reminded me that we did sit through it about six months back. She fell asleep and seems to have found the whole experience far more memorable than I.
Yeah, the first two books were relatively easy on the omissions and alterations, probably due mostly to their size as novels. The third one was not quite as easy on the omissions, (it failed to make clear just who the creators of the Marauders Map were, a terrible omission, IMHO) as it was a bit longer novel than the first two. But making a single movie from the next three was a really big problem (IMHO). But at least they did learn of the error in their thinking in time to make two movies out of the last novel. This adaptation was certainly not perfect, but better.

I just finished reading my favorite chapter of all the novels, the first chapter of Half Blood Prince. I really wish it had been filmed and included in the movie. Oh well, nuff' said!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #12337
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Am going to see here what everyone's reading to get an idea. How is Stephen Kings 11/22/63? Good?
I liked it. Much better than The Dome although not quite as good as It or The Stand
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #12338
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig View Post
just got into "Divergent" by veronica roth.

so far this has me just as captivated as the hunger games did.

i went into it thinking it would be another quickly written hunger game-ish derivative, though i am VERY pleasantly surprised at its originality.

hopefully this trilogy can hold up over the long haul.
I thought it started well but fell quickly. Overall, I gave it 1 out 5 stars on GR.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #12339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Finished Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins, 1st in his Gideon Oliver, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Forensic Anthropologist series. I got this from Fictionwise for the low, low price of $1.60 during one of their previous 60% off coupon weekends and went back and bought the rest during their most recent one after having read the first half of this.
I added them to my wish list, and I think with the current 60% off sale (coupon code 021012), I must buy the first one and see how I like it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #12340
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I added them to my wish list, and I think with the current 60% off sale (coupon code 021012), I must buy the first one and see how I like it.
There's a 60% off? Whee! George Alec Effinger shopping spree, here I come!

The 1st Gideon Oliver is not really all that representative of the series although you'll get enough of a gist of the forensic anthropologist content to see if it's science-y enough if that was the main appeal and Oliver's basic personality to see if his quirks are endearing, annoying, or neutral enough to live with. Elkins kind of went in a direction in that 1st book that he'd later devote to the Chris Norgren, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Art Curator books, the 3rd of which I shall now be picking up on sale (also a recommended series if you want to know about Baroque art and how art forgeries/thefts are done, but not as good quality as the Olivers, IMHO).

I'd suggest perhaps you might want to consider picking up the 3rd or 4th as well, which are where the series direction really begins (Murder in the Queene's Armes, the 3rd is set in England and involves an archaeological dig and Old Bones, the 4th, is the Edgar Award-winning one which is really good) and you can read the books standalone since they don't spoiler previous cases or have much in the way of major character interaction changes (kind of like Christies, in a a way).

But otherwise, they are quite fun and educational at points.

Oh, and you may want to take a look at George Alec Effinger's works if you haven't already. FW has added a lot to the catalogue since last year's early 60% off, and if you like a slightly quirky semi-satiric style (a little like the good Frederik Pohl stories in his Best Of short story collection) the late GAE seems to be very good indeed.

I just decided to scoop the lot of his works after recently finishing A Thousand Deaths and starting in upon Irrational Numbers, which I really ought to comment upon after I've gotten something to eat, and the stories were generally unusual, imaginative, varied, and enjoyable and I give a high recommend to what I've read thus far.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-11-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add linkage to the relevant volumes since only some of them are numbered at FW.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #12341
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Oh, and you may want to take a look at George Alec Effinger's works if you haven't already. FW has added a lot to the catalogue since last year's early 60% off, and if you like a slightly quirky semi-satiric style (a little like the good Frederik Pohl stories in his Best Of short story collection) the late GAE seems to be very good indeed.

I just decided to scoop the lot of his works after recently finishing A Thousand Deaths and starting in upon Irrational Numbers, which I really ought to comment upon after I've gotten something to eat, and the stories were generally unusual, imaginative, varied, and enjoyable and I give a high recommend to what I've read thus far.
Thanks for that. His books look interesting. Was hoping I wouldn't have to pass up this 60% discount.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #12342
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I liked it. Much better than The Dome although not quite as good as It or The Stand
That's exactly how I'd rank it as well.

I'm currently reading Teresa Frohock's Miserere. A strange, alternate reality, magical/religious, almost—but not quite—horror/fantasy thingy. It took me until about the one/third mark to commit, but I'm starting to be glad I did. It's probably not going to win any awards, but the author definitely has a way (at times) of inspiring some very creepy, goose-pimply imagery in my head. I like someone who manages to do that. Definitely someone I'll look for more books from in the future.

I have Paul Kearney's Corvus on deck. It's the sequel to The Ten Thousand (a fictional retelling of Xenophon's Anabasis). Although not really directly based on anything, the character of Corvus in this second installment of his Macht Trilogy is purported to have been markedly influenced by the historical figure of Alexander the Great. The final installment (Kings of Morning) looks like it's due to be released very soon(ish). So I'm trying to time the finish of this one to coincide with the new one's release.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #12343
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished one that I'm still trying to get a grip on: How the Hippies Saved Physics: Science, Counterculture, and the Quantum Revival by David Kaiser.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #12344
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
There's a 60% off? Whee! George Alec Effinger shopping spree, here I come!
I just had to get them too with the discount.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #12345
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm reading Livy (book 21) and also the Steve Job's biography. I'm not one for biographies, we'll see if it will hold my interest.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote