Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
How to zoom pictures in drm-free epubs?

Hi,

I want to zoom pictures in an epub file (e.g. screenshots in an oreilly.com e-book). Is it possible and if yes how? I haven't found anything in the manual and for some epubs it's essential to be able to zoom a picture.

Any ideas?

Last edited by joblack; 05-10-2013 at 07:33 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, it isn't possible for an epub. If you load the book as a kepub, there is some image zooming. But, I think the image has to be the only thing on the screen to be able to zoom it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arg, nobody told me about that bug ... ähh feature. Even the cheapest kindle can do that.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Yes, we all wish Kobo would quit fiddling with style and fix the basic features like this.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
There is a way to zoom in on images with the following conditions:
  • Use Calibre Kobo Touch Extended to convert the epub to a Kepub
  • The image has to be on a single page
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I was surprised to find out it couldn't pinch to zoom on pictures in epubs as well.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
There is a way to zoom in on images with the following conditions:
  • Use Calibre Kobo Touch Extended to convert the epub to a Kepub
  • The image has to be on a single page
Thanks, but I surely won't convert my open epub e-books to a proprietary format.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I was surprised to find out it couldn't pinch to zoom on pictures in epubs as well.
I wasn't surprised exactly, but I was disappointed to find out it does not have this capability. My Sony T1 does this beautifully, and it is a highly useful feature, I've seen books that sometimes have TEXT PASSAGES done as images, and being able to zoom is sometimes the only thing that makes them readable!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I have a T1 too and I got it because it was the best thing out for reflow last year when I bought it. I guess I've gotten spoiled and assume everything can handle things as well as the T1. If only the T1 had a nice fronlit screen like at least the PW.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Thanks, but I surely won't convert my open epub e-books to a proprietary format.
The extended driver does the conversion on the fly when you send the book to the device. The copy in the calibre library is untouched
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I would not call this a proprietary format. It is still a regular epub.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I would not call this a proprietary format. It is still a regular epub.
Maybe, but I don't see any reason that I have to convert all my epubs just because Kobo doesn't see the need to program a decent epub viewer.

Last edited by joblack; 05-11-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Maybe, but I don't see any reason that I have to convert all my epubs just because Kobo doesn't see the need to program a decent epub viewer.
On the Kobo developers thread there is a hack available to install "kindlepdfviewer" on several models of Kobos (not the Aura) with good results.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64#post2511864
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
How do you zoom in kepubs? Is it something that can only be done on the Aura or all Kobo eReaders?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Tap the middle of the screen to bring up the bottom menu. If there is an image you can use zoom on, there will be a four way arrow in the menu. Press that to bring up the zoom options.