Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #556
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
Hi Kiwidude,

I have a feature request. Could you put a way into the plugin to add or change a value in a column if I remove a book from a list. I have a custom column for the read status of the books in my library. I'm using a reading device and have an auto populated list to keep track of the stories on the device. If I delete a book from the device, it's because I've read it. So I need a way to automatically change the value in the "read" column to yes.
Or is there already a way I haven't discovered?
What I have done to accomplish this is to have two Reading Lists, one that tracks the books on my device and another to track the books I have read. If you do this, you can use the Reading List Move to List... option to move your read book from your Device list to your Read list. You can set up your Read list to have the following setting for Column Update Options:

When changing this List: Update column for add or remove
Column to Update: <name of your Read tracking field>
Value in column to add/remove: Yes

Hope this helps.
edwdecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #557
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast

Reading List setup to manage reader content and Read

Answering @Firedancer885 made me realize it may be helpful to new users of calibre and the Reading List plug-in if I gave more details on how I have my Reading Lists setup. I have inserted screen shots of my customer column and Reading List setups at the bottom of this posting. I hope this helps.

I have a fairly large collection of ebooks, so I needed a way of managing which books are on my Reader (Kindle) at any given time. I try to keep the number to around 50 at a time (just my own preference, this does not effect the setup/functionality). I also wanted to track which books I have already read.

I have set up a custom column to track the Reading List to which my book is currently assigned called book_status, since for me the purpose of my Reading Lists are to track the reading status of my eBooks. The name can be changed to something more appropriate to your needs, you will just need to refer to your fields name when setting up your lists. My Reading Lists are setup so my books can only be in one list at a time. If this is not preferable for your situation, you can define the custom column as a 'Tag like' text column instead.

I have three Reading Lists setup:

Shelf: These are the eBooks I currently have on my Reader. Adding a book to this list will queue it to be added to my Reader the next time I do a Reading List sync.

Read: These are the eBooks I have read. Adding a book to this list will queue it to be removed from my Reader the next time I do a Reading List sync.

Remove: These are eBooks I have not read, but wish to remove from my Reader. Adding a book to this list will queue it to be removed from my Reader the next time I do a Reading List sync. This list will be cleared after the sync.

Another great plug-in to have, which works great with the Reading List plug-in, is the Kindle Collections plug-in by @meme. @kiwidude as added hooks in Reading List to call Kindle Collections when a Reading List sync is performed, which is device/reader specific. Once you install Kindle Collections, go to the Reading List Devices tab and you will be able to set the Kindle Collections column to either Y (call Kindle Collections during sync) or N (don't).

Screen Shots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Column_Status.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	103691   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList_Shelf.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	103692   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList_Read.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	103693   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList_Remove.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	103694   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadingList_Devices.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	103695  
Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #558
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast

Re-add Reader/device to Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
It looks like I have to sync it: Could 'edwdecarlo' or someone show me step by step how to do this.
Important Note: @kiwidude has setup the Reading Lists to be device independent, so adding or removing devices will not affect the content of a Reading List.

Here are the steps to remove a device and re-add it to the Reading List Devices:
  1. Do not have any Reading device connected to your laptop/PC/etc
  2. Start calibre
  3. Open Customize Reading List setup (use whatever method you currently use)
  4. Select the Devices tab
  5. Select the device to remove and click Delete (Recycle button at bottom of the list). Answer Yes to confirmation.
  6. Click OK to exit Customize Reading List
  7. Restart calibre
  8. Connect reader/device. Wait for calibre to recognize the device (you'll a connected message at the bottom of calibre window, next to the version information)
  9. Open Customize Reading List setup
  10. Select the Devices tab
  11. Click Add connected device (below devices list). This should automatically add your connected device to the devices list
  12. Click OK to exit Customize Reading List
  13. Restart calibre

You should now be able sync your books to your device via Reading List.

If you have any device specific Reading Lists which use the device you just re-added, you will need to reset the 'Device to sync this list to:' value for those Reading Lists.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #559
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdecarlo View Post
Important Note: @kiwidude has setup the Reading Lists to be device independent, so adding or removing devices will not affect the content of a Reading List.

Here are the steps to remove a device and re-add it to the Reading List Devices:
  1. Do not have any Reading device connected to your laptop/PC/etc
  2. Start calibre
  3. Open Customize Reading List setup (use whatever method you currently use)
  4. Select the Devices tab
  5. Select the device to remove and click Delete (Recycle button at bottom of the list). Answer Yes to confirmation.
  6. Click OK to exit Customize Reading List
  7. Restart calibre
  8. Connect reader/device. Wait for calibre to recognize the device (you'll a connected message at the bottom of calibre window, next to the version information)
  9. Open Customize Reading List setup
  10. Select the Devices tab
  11. Click Add connected device (below devices list). This should automatically add your connected device to the devices list
  12. Click OK to exit Customize Reading List
  13. Restart calibre

You should now be able sync your books to your device via Reading List.

If you have any device specific Reading Lists which use the device you just re-added, you will need to reset the 'Device to sync this list to:' value for those Reading Lists.
Thanks, it worked!
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #560
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Thanks for the guide, it works fine! However, is it possible to set Reading List to delete old news from the device as soon as there is a new issue downloaded to the device?
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #561
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Hi,

I might have a feature request...

I would like to set up calibre to copy all books that I want to read to my device. For this I created a column to_read that I then use in the auto populate search of a list toRead in Reading List. So far so good.

But now I would like to add all books that are in the same (multiple) series as the books selected in the list toRead. And I think this wouldn't be possible with the current functionality. Or can this be done already?

Regards, Joachim
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #562
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That would be nifty if it was possible! I am working on collecting many books that are in series (what's the plural of series?), and having some way to just auto-add them to my reading list when I get them would help me remember to get them on my Kindle instead of just forgetting about them.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #563
jbaumann
Zealot

Hi,

Another question: Is it possible to generate a collection/shelf/series from all the books of one list on the device?

Regards, Joachim
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #564
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.6.2 released

Changes in this release:
  • Change for correct support of calibre 0.9.29 virtual libraries feature
  • Add a "Add series to xxx" menu option to allow quickly adding all books in a series for the selected book(s)
  • Improve readability of the confirmation text when clearing a reading list

The virtual libraries support is a pain in the ass quite frankly for the complications it may cause, and hence may make for some quirky behaviour and confusion for those of you that make use of it.

Right now the plugin will respect whatever virtual library setup you currently have made. So that means if for instance you have a list constructed automatically based on books on the device, but you have a virtual library restriction in place, then only books that are within that virtual library will be put on the list. So your list will not reflect "all" books on the device.

I flip-flopped on whether I wanted that to be the desired behaviour or not, and as a case can be made for either way. If you want to keep your life simple and prevent any confusion, just don't use virtual libraries in conjunction with this plugin. Alternatively if enough of you want it to be changed so that lists are *not* restricted to the contents of the current virtual library then petition for it on the thread and we shall see which way the vote goes.

The other addition was asked for above on this thread - adding all books in a series to the list. Note that (a) this does it by series name (so if you have multiple series with the same name by different authors you will get all books) and (b) there is no realy way to respect order when putting on the reading list (edit the list manually if you care about series order when viewing the list).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #565
jbaumann
Zealot

Thumbs up Thank you and subsequent question

Hi KiwiDude,

thank you very much for your fast response. The new feature "Add series to xxx" works very well, and everything is nearly perfect. :-)

My current setup:

I have a column #to_read which, when set to 4 or 5 stars, should be copied to the reader. I created a second, hidden column #stars, that contains the strings "4 Stars" or "5 Stars" using the following expression ".{#to_read:switch(4,4 Stars,5,5 Stars,)}". This column is used for the generation of shelves/series/collections on the device (Kobo Glo). This way, if I mark something with 3 or 2 stars it won't fill up the device.

I created a list Stars, which is populated via a search "#to_read:">3". Works like a charm. I have a second list "Series", and I simply mark every book in "Stars" and do "add series to list"->"Series". Both lists are synced to the device, and voilá, I have all books I marked with 4 or 5 stars and the accompanying books of the same series on my device.

Point 1: The manual step to copy all the books in the different series. Would it be somehow possible to automate this? This would make the whole thing perfect.

Point 2: Is this setup the optimum?

Very important: This is no kind of criticism, on the contrary.

And even more important:

Cheers, Joachim
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #566
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't think of an elegant alternative to be honest. Personally it all sounds very complicated . But then I don't have any lists populated based on search expressions, if I see a series I want to read I just add it manually to my single list that gets synced.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #567
jbaumann
Zealot

:-)

The idea is, in fact, quite simple. I rank books I want to read in three classes "next to read" or 5 Stars (max. 25 books), "must read" or 4 Stars (max 100 books), very interesting or 3 Stars (no limit). Whenever I have read one of the 5 Star books, one from the 4 Star books might change to 5 Stars... And if I've read a 5 Star book I normally also want to read the whole series of books :-)

It might be that our implicit conceptual understanding of what an ebook-reader represents is different. One way to see it is as a number of books that you want to read. Another, and that is my view, is to see it as your whole library at your fingertips. I know this does not really make sense, but nonetheless :-)

Cheers, Joachim
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #568
kindleboy
kindleboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question about the reading list plugin.

1. I set the plug in to add a tag to a column for the books on the list.
2. I had the list set to "auto populate from the books on the device."
3. I used the setting "update column for add to list only."
4. I disconnected the device and deleted one of the books from the device. When I connect the device back the tag for the book that was erased is removed from calibre.

Is that what it's supposed to do?
How do I get the tag to stay in calibre after the book is deleted from the device?
kindleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #569
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@kindleboy - it is doing what it should, populating the list based on books on a device, and setting the tag for only those items. You remove a book from device, it loses its tag as no longer on the list, that simple
Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #570
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I have "+" as the assigned keyboard shortcut for adding a book to my reading list. However, now that key seems to be linked to "add all books from a series". How do I disable that, and go back to the way I had it?? I can't even find the keyboard shortcut option for adding all the books in a series. That is, there is no keyboard shortcut option for adding a series, but the keyboard shortcut for adding a book behaves as if it were the shortcut for adding a series....

Last edited by ElMiko; 07-20-2013 at 02:56 AM.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote