Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
gimmeshelter
gimmeshelter began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Kindle downloads in France

Hi All, The children of my neighbour here in France want to buy her a Kindle for Christmas. In view of the problems several of us have had downloading books from UK websites, can anyone tell me if there is any problem downloading books to France from Amazon UK. Also is the Kindle tied to Amazon, or can you download from The Book Depository via other software, I use Adobe Digital either PDF or just Digital Editions.

I've suggested she gets them to buy a Sony instead, but think it's a bit outside their price limit.

Any help please. My friend isn't a techie so wouldn't be able to amend the Kindle.

I have seen the responses regarding free books, but don't think she's actually looking for those. Thanks

Thanks All.

Last edited by gimmeshelter; 11-25-2010 at 12:15 PM.
gimmeshelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Try posting this in the French forum, so that those with K's can answer better.....

You can ask a mod to translate.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
desertgrandma's right, I could answer you here, but it'd be better suited to the French Kindle forum . (Some french readers might not venture here )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2010 at 01:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
Not sure if this information helps:
I am from Germany, my friend in the US brought the Kindle3 to me. I used my friend's US address to create my account. I buy the Kindle books with my German credit card without problems. I buy ebooks from different US based websites, if they don't have the mobi format, I just convert it with Calibre.
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Any help please. My friend isn't a techie so wouldn't be able to amend the Kindle.
I take it that means no de-drm , no bypassing geo restriction, all that...

If she want to read in English, then, given the current situation (that mess with agency pricing and geo-restriction), then the kindle seams like the way to go, as much as I hate to say this.

If she wants to read french, then, sony or the cybook opus (smaller screen, not tactile, but cheaper). Or maybe the fnacbook.

Or just wait to see wish way the wind will blow.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, with a *french* account, you'll buy from Amazon *US*, and you'll have access to only a subset of content (due to a number of crappy reasons 'solved' by geo-lock).

Note that there is near zero 'new' content in non-English languages on Amazon.

As others said, you will be able to buy content eslewhere, provided it's DRM-free, available from your location, and converted to MOBI if need be.

EDIT: In short, like Eowyn said, if you read in english, it's probably the best solution right now (while far from prefect if you don't want/can't/care to mess around a bit), if you don't, it's really, really not the right choice .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Basically, with a *french* account, you'll buy from Amazon *US*, and you'll have access to only a subset of content
Ah, I thought we had the UK stuff ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, you can't link a non-UK based account with the UK Kindle Store. You can't even *buy* the Kindle itself on Amazon UK, only accessories . (In fact, I'd advise buying the covers on Amazon UK anyway, there is (or was, it may be 'fixed' now) a crazy import fee to France on the covers when buying from Amazon US).

If you happen to have a UK address/credit card/id/account, there should be no problem, though.

And I'm not sure if we have a subset of the UK content in the french Kindle Store, last time I checked was before the UK store .

EDIT: For the few things I checked, yep, it seems that we do (or a subset of it, at least). At some truly horrendous prices in some cases (Hi, Hachette! Bye, Hachette! >_<"), but they're available, yay!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
gimmeshelter
gimmeshelter began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Kindle use in France

Hi All, Many thanks for your responses, I've passed the messages on to my friend's kids.
gimmeshelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
ying17zi
ying17zi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeshelter View Post
Hi All, The children of my neighbour here in France want to buy her a Kindle for Christmas. In view of the problems several of us have had downloading books from UK websites, can anyone tell me if there is any problem downloading books to France from Amazon UK. Also is the Kindle tied to Amazon, or can you download from The Book Depository via other software, I use Adobe Digital either PDF or just Digital Editions.

I've suggested she gets them to buy a Sony instead, but think it's a bit outside their price limit.

I have seen the responses regarding free books, but don't think she's actually looking for those. Thanks

Thanks All.
Bonsoir,

I have bought one(I am in Lyon), but never tried to download any books from the .uk web. (I think the account registers on the web of .uk and the .com web are different.)
You can buy the Kindle "as a gift", then it won't be tied to any compte de Amazon.

Kindle3 works well with pdf files and I can even read papers of double columns.
Bonne soiree.
ying17zi is offline   Reply With Quote