Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
jrchase
jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Do you avoid DRM ebooks?

I've passed on many an ebook because of DRM. Is DRM a factor in your purchase these days?

On the Kindle, I assume DRM-free is indicated by the "Simultaneous Readers = Unlimited" in the product details?

J.R. Chase
Author of the mystery thriller Chicago Squeeze

Last edited by jrchase; 08-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
jrchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No, I normally read on my Kindle and don't really worry about DRM at all. In the rare cases that I need to read something on my phone, I can strip the DRM easily enough.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Nope. I detest DRM but I don't see it going away in the immediate future. It's more important to me to support ebooks in general right now. When the ebook market is big enough that the publishers have to care about its opinion, then I think we'll have some chance of getting them to stop punishing the people who actually pay for their books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't buy DRM. I don't currently have the ability to read DRM'd anything; since I upgraded to Vista (not my choice, really), I haven't bothered installing any software that can deal with DRM. (I dislike Vista enough that I've avoided installing several programs I like; I keep hoping that if I refuse to play nice with it, it'll spontaneously morph into Ubuntu some evening.)

My Vista hassles aside, I don't like DRM, enough to have decided I won't support the business decision to use it. I don't download DRM'd freebies, much less pay for DRM'd content.

My ebook dollars are limited; between Baen, FW's multiformats, and Smashwords, I'm not likely to run out of good reading material, so there's no need for me to bother with extra software to get DRM'd books and then even more to crack them so I can be sure of reading them after the business model has changed again.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Most of the books I buy are DRMed. It doesn't bother me much as I strip it away. I don't like the idea of DRMing books, but I understand the reason publishers are using it. They don't want a repeat of the Napster incident. I wouldn't even mind DRM at all if all readers could read any eBook. The only reason I strip DRM is so that I can put the book on various readers which are all mine. I never give or loan ebooks to anyone else. If they could come up with a DRM wherein when you finished reading the book you could pass it to someone else by giving up all your rights to it, that would be okay. Afterall, that is what we have done for centuries with printed books.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If it is on Amazon and I want to read it I buy it... DRM or not...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I do not avoid DRMed books.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Arrow

I only buy non-DRM because I consider it's a violation of my personal freedom and there are good books to choose from other authors. (although I do occationally look in envy at books I would have liked, but choose not to buy).

Device migration is the most common occurance for me, but I'm disgusted to learn that some publishers has protected books against using the built-in voice synthesiser in the Kindle because it might cause lost sales of audio-books. The idea that a publisher, once a book has been purchased, is allowed to dictate how you read it is revolting. With non-DRM books you can even print out a few pages on paper to read while taking a bath.

I did buy a few books once from mobipocket , thankfully some awesome guy on the internet developed a script to strip them of the protection ... now I'm not forced to read those on my Nokia phone or PC, but can read them on my Sony PRS-600. I'll be able to transfer those books to my upcomming Kindle as well

(If you look at fictionwise.com , you can easily find non-drm books under Multiformat, and there's plenty of good tips for places to get books elsewhere in this forum)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nope. All the devices I use now can read/share the same DRM'ed content, so it doesn't really affect my usage. But I also know there are current ways of saving that content in case the DRM servers go down at some point-not sure if I'd be so sanguine if that weren't the case.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Yes, I avoid DRM.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I certainly prefer non-DRM books and will choose a copy from a non-DRM vendor (e.g. Smashwords) over the same title DRM-ed from Amazon, even if the formatting is kind of messed up.

But I don't automatically exclude DRM-ed books from consideration, if that's what's available and I really and truly want to buy a copy in e-book format.

However, in order for me to purchase the DRM-ed version, it would have to have a cheapness like unto dirt and I'd have to be able to strip whatever DRM was being used. Or completely unavailable through other means, including the darknet and affordable second-hand paper copies.

Or I'd just have to click the wrong button when downloading what I thought would be a sample from Amazon and have it go directly to my credit card so that I'd lose out on the currency conversion if I returned and refunded it.

Oh well. At least it's something I was more-or-less vaguely interested in, was cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else according to Inkmesh, and I've managed to read three free promo/library books from one of the authors at no cost to myself, so I don't mind so much if she finally gets paid for this one.

But you can bet I'll be more paranoid about the damn 1-click button and padding my account with gift certificates now.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Only DRM for me in books

I ONLY read DRM protected books on Sony, Amazon and B&N.

One gets better books that way. We get only what we pay for.

If you pay zero, you really get zero.

I have PC apps for all three, a Sony PRS-900 and expect an Amazon Kindle 3 soon.

My reading is mainly on the PC with eReaders for occurances away from my house.

However, for music I buy only from Amazon, not iTunes. Amazon songs have no DRM.

For games I prefer no DRM as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Nope I don't avoid drm'ed ebooks. Just recently learn how to crack them and I feel that taking just a bit of time to strip the drm is not a big deal since it'll protect my purchases in a long run. I don't hate drm but prefer to not have it.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I love my kindle and buy my books from Amazon. They are DRM'd. Life is too short to worry about it!! I have so much fun reading electronically. I am not going to deprive myself over a principle that doesn't really exist. It's like saying I won't buy a vacuum cleaner from Hoover because I can't buy the bags from Eureka.

Just have fun, have fun, have fun....

;-)

Last edited by krazy4katz; 08-23-2010 at 09:35 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #15
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
After trying 3 ereading devices (Sony, pocketbook & kindle) and finally deciding to go with Kindle as it suits me best - I'm happy to purchase Amazon ebooks and not worry about the DRM. I'm not planning to use any other brand of ereader anytime soon and I know how to remove DRM if I move to another platform in the future.

I disagree with the notion that "you get what you pay for" and only ebooks with a price attached are worth reading. Some of the very best ebooks I've read (in terms of formatting and content) have been freebies from here at mobileread and also feedbooks. I have also paid good money for ebooks from genuine stores which are littered with errors - so I would recommend that people have an open mind towards free ebooks.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote