Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #61
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Any way you could tweak CalibreBox to allow an app-to-SD tool to move it to the microSD card?
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #62
Hofferic
Enthusiast
Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen, Moon+ Reader, CalibreBox Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Any way you could tweak CalibreBox to allow an app-to-SD tool to move it to the microSD card?
Sorry for the late answer, for some reason I did not get any notification about your post. I am currently developing on Nexus devices, which don't have an SD slot, so I cannot test this easily. Generally I don't see why it shouldn't work as it is, so I would have to look around and speculate (and use the emulators if I can get them running with SD emulation) to implement this.

I may look into this after the current round of new features is done, but it is rather low priority because the app is not that large. The only things which are not sored in user-selectable directories are the image cache and library databases. And the cache regulates the size automatically. So the new features take higher priority for me right now (partly because they are more feasible for me to actually test without tearing my hair out too much).
Hofferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #63
hardcover
hardcover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Using library on external SD-Card

Hi,
I am looking for an app that is able to search my calibre library on an android device offline and I would prefer not to sync with the cloud but manually replace the library in intervals from my PC.
I use calibre not only for ebooks but for paper-books too.
My main aim is to inform me about my books with a mobile device and not read books with this device.

Is CalibreBox able to fulfill this aim and if yes, which files would I have to sync?
hardcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #64
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Apologies to Hofferic for jumping in here.

@hardcover: You can do this with Calibre Companion in two different ways.

The first: transfer empty books to CC as described in this thread. From time to time you would connect CC to calibre as a wireless device and transfer any new books. Connecting automatically updates the metadata stored by CC.

The second: put your calibre library on an SD card and use CC's "local library" connection feature. You could even go so far as to copy only calibre's metadata.db file, but in that case you would not see any covers because they are not in the database. You don't care that the books themselves are not there. I can imagine writing a script that copies only the metadata.db file, the directory tree, and the cover.jpg files.

If you want to discuss this further please post on the CC forum. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #65
Hofferic
Enthusiast
Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcover View Post
Is CalibreBox able to fulfill this aim and if yes, which files would I have to sync?
As chaley stated, you can use Calibre Companion to achive this. CalibreBox exclusively works with libraries synced to dropbox. That being said only the metadata.db file is absolutely required for CalibreBox to work, but that would cause many unnecessary networks requests to download non-existant cover images from dropbox. If you would like to use CalibreBox over Calibre Companion I would recommend mirroring the entire library to dropboy and ignoring the download options. As to automatic library updates (assuming that is what irks you) you are not forced to update the library everytime it changes, just notified that the dropbox version has changed.
But for your use case I would still recommend Calibre Companion as it actually supports manual handling of an offline database.
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #66
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
Hey Hofferic -

Just wanted to say how much I looooove CalibreBox and, also, how it saved my ereading. I recently acquired a Kindle Fire. It's my first Android-based ereading and I had to leave the best ereader in the world behind (Marvin) which was unreasonably difficult. Even worse, I hadn't realized how most ereaders display your Dropbox library through folders rather than a book view. YIKES. And Calibre Companion doesn't work for me because my computer is often off.

CalibreBox has definitely saved my sanity and is crazy efficient and simple to use. Very glad I found it. I love the quick loading, the book detail page, and the handy sort and filter options. I think we're all grateful you were fed up with CalibreCloud. Thanks for all the effort. My device is getting swapped out in the next few days but I plan to purchase Pro following that.

---

I was reading through the updates here and couple quick questions about features you mentioned:
1) How do you sort by downloaded vs. non-downloaded items? I didn't see that unless it's a trick in Sort/Filter lists.
2) How do you long-tap the FAB for labels? I can't engage that.
3) Related, when I click 'Update' within a book detail, the book downloads. Is that the intention or is it doing something different than 'Download'? I thought it might be updating cover image/tags/etc.

Thanks again.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 AM   #67
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
And Calibre Companion doesn't work for me because my computer is often off.
A small clarification not intended to denigrate Hofferic's very nice app: Calibre Companion has been able to access libraries in the cloud since July of last year.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #68
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
A small clarification not intended to denigrate Hofferic's very nice app: Calibre Companion has been able to access libraries in the cloud since July of last year.
Huh, you are correct! I thought the options were still 1) "Send to Device" from your computer or 2) use a content server (which requires Calibre to be running I believe). I just re-downloaded CalComp to see why I thought that and I have an idea why at least.

The startup page of CC lists these and only these options. You see the cloud option if you delve deeper but I guess I didn't look deeper. Good to know just in case.

I'll stop hijacking this thread to discuss CC now.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #69
Hofferic
Enthusiast

Hey lazorbeam, I am happy to hear you like my app

Regarding your questions:
1) Due to the way the list is maintained internally you can not sort by download state, but there is a filter option for downloaded books in the pro version.

2) The only long-pressable fab is the layout change button in the main list, which will give you the options dialog for that list.

3) The "Update" download options work just like the regular ones with the difference that they force a download even if a local copy exists and seems to be up to date. This is to make sure you can always easily get to the newest file version if you update/polish/otherwise change the file as the calibre library does not include change timestamps for the files themselves, so I can oly use the filesize to automatically overwrite the file with a changed version. So you will probably only need that button very rarely, if ever.

The book metadata is part of the calibre library, so the only way to apply those updates is to update the entire library in the home screen.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #70
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Thanks for the clarifications. I actually use Polish/Convert rather often, so it's handy to know the details of the Update option. Related to the FAB, I must have confused info somewhere. Cheers!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #71
Hofferic
Enthusiast

Major version 2 in rollout

Hey to you all, after some serious development time (bad developer, bad) I have just started the staged rollout for the major update to Version 2.0. It includes some requested features like themeing, some hefty performance increases, improvements of old stuff and all that. I am talking easily as many changes as all previous updates since v1.0 combined. Because of that the rollout is currently limited to 50% of users so I can monitor my new crash tracking system for really bad bugs (fingers crossed there won't be any) and then I will flip the switch for everyone. As I have changed a lot of the internal stuff and switched the crash tracking to something far easier to deal with this sadly also means crashes from older versions will have to wait for fixes until they appear in the new tracker, but for bad cases this should not take long and in general it should reduce turnaround time for fixes later.

The changelog for major stuff in v2.0 at the moment reads as follows:
● Theme support
● Automatic Day/Night theme switch on Marshmallow+
● Tablet layouts
● Landscape layouts
● Add filtering and display support for custom tag and enumeration columns
● Support for moving app to SD card
● Show number of results in filter settings
● Runtime permissions on Marshmallow
● Settings Backup on Marshmallow
● Cleaner experience for new users
● Active support for Now On Tap
● More robust dynamic colors
● Ads no longer overlay FAB
● Reduce memory consumption
● Improved fidelity on many screens
● Reduce data usage on metered networks
● Explain empty lists in main view
● Only allow writable folders to be chosen as download target
● Move downloaded files when changing the download folder
● Better restoration of state when returning to app
● Many bugs fixed
● Many performance improvements
● Changelog in App
● Switch from ACRA to Crashlytics
● Switch from Google Analytics to Answers

[EDIT]
And here we go, the first hotfix release is starting rollout, fixing a crash when importing already-downloaded books

Last edited by Hofferic; 02-24-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #72
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Great. Custom columns with preset values are now supported, just when I stop using Yes/No column for Read status and change to a four value column.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #73
Hofferic
Enthusiast

Yeah I decided to beef up the filtering system because the search parsing is very limited and will match the entire search term in all supported search fields, so even implementing a search feature for custom columns (which won't happen because it would be a performance nightmare and require me to rewrite the search part from scratch) would not have helped much. But adding this was relatively painless, even though it requires some gymnastics to get all the data needed for this to work in a query without offloading too much work on the user. Using your own product is a great motivator for these kinds of things
Old 03-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #74
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
1) Very often, CB thinks I didn't buy it and therefore takes the Pro away. I have to restart it and its ok. It says Google Play Services are unavailable.

2) Can you support text format in custom columns "long text like comments"?
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #75
Hofferic
Enthusiast

That is very disconcerting. By now I really regret doing the "elegant" thing instead of just putting out a free and pro version seperately. But by now a good few people have bought the In-App pro version and I would have to work out how to get the Pro version to them if I ever change away from the current disaster of a license model -.-
You said the App complains about Google Play Services when it does not realize you bought the pro license - does it ALWAYS do that? In that case I at least have an idea how to work around that by caching some values on your device in case Google can't be bothered at that very important instant...

Regarding your second point I would have to verify it, but it should already be displayed in the book details along with other custom columns. I am somewhat reluctant to implement filtering by this kind of column because it could well contain a lot of data for some users and I would be left doing some very expensive dumb text matching. (In the regular search I convert all the comments in the normal comments field into a format optimized for full-text matching as search performance before I did that was abysmal).
If you could give me some pointers how people actually use this kind of column and what kind of matching/filtering you would expect I might be able to assess this with more accuracy.

Tags
android, calibre, cloud, dropbox, mobile applications