Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Today's Amazon tech event. All Alexa, no Kindles.

I guess (hope) they'll announce them with no fanfare.
quatermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
That’s very disappointing, but I think they are on the way as they have slashed the price of the Paperwhite and Basic models. I would be very tempted by a white Paperwhite with flush screen, comfort light and buttons.... As long as they finally get rid of that clunky form factor.

I’m amazed they’ve released a microwave. And that they seemingly judge a microwave to be more exciting than a Kindle. ��
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Alexa. Meh.

Alexa in your microwave — this is beginning to get weird.

I guess I shouldn't complain. My daughter thought we needed a "smart" Samsung refrigerator. The kids leave the door open and it wakes my wife up in the middle of the night when its app "beeps" her.

It plays music or video ... you can scribble notes on it, log into it when you're at the store to see if you've got milk.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it sneaking out at night to run around with the other "smart" appliances.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
An analog wall clock that also shows your countdown timer. I thought that was weird.

Alexa and home automation is the hot thing now and they are all-in on that.

Kindles are probably already near their peak in market penetration. I expect one or more new models this fall. The PaperWhite is overdue for a refresh. But any changes will be incremental, most likely a color changing frontlight. No need to a big announcement.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Even last year, for the KO2, there was no event, just a fancy new page at Amazon.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What, no Echo soundbar?

No interest in any of these things.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Ugh I'm just hoping they don't want to mix the news but are still releasing a new Paperwhite at the very least. They keep going up and down with deals and prices over the summer between that and the Voyage. We shall see though.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My daughter thought we needed a "smart" Samsung refrigerator. The kids leave the door open and it wakes my wife up in the middle of the night when its app "beeps" her.
Sounds like you just need smarter kids.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Sounds like you just need smarter kids.
It's a nice refrigerator but I could care less about the "smart" part. A couple times I've come to its screen, where there is a message that the "upgrade failed" and that I have to reset it. And it's not even Windows ... it's Tizen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
It's a nice refrigerator but I could care less about the "smart" part. A couple times I've come to its screen, where there is a message that the "upgrade failed" and that I have to reset it. And it's not even Windows ... it's Tizen.
you'd better hope it does not sulk & stop working when it cannot contact the Samsung servers then - like the Tizen TVs do

I have 2 x Tizen TVs but not a fan - and samsung have form for rolling out updates that seriously break stuff - more so than Microsoft even

smart devices that fail when their internet connection does down - like pet food timer dispensers that then starve the cat - are more trouble then they are worth. ditto the ones that are not actually on line but just fail anyway - like the microchip pet doors that lock your cat in, or out, if there's fluff on the sensor! , and which also fail under a brute force headbutt from the neighbourhood alpha tom
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see it sneaking out at night to run around with the other "smart" appliances.
https://youtu.be/n9aYrURLHh0
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Alexa. Meh.

Alexa in your microwave — this is beginning to get weird.

I guess I shouldn't complain. My daughter thought we needed a "smart" Samsung refrigerator. The kids leave the door open and it wakes my wife up in the middle of the night when its app "beeps" her.

It plays music or video ... you can scribble notes on it, log into it when you're at the store to see if you've got milk.

Gets ore strange they have analexa wall outlet now
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
At this point, they'd have to release that electrowetting display to get me excited about a new kindle. Or bring back TTS, which I don't think will happen because it works against their interest.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote