Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
maccharl
Enthusiast
maccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Books "have no available formats"

It seems that all of the books in one of my calibre libraries have no available format. Therefore, I can't do anything with them. Any idea what could have caused this and/or how I can fix it? The books in my other library are fine.
maccharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccharl View Post
It seems that all of the books in one of my calibre libraries have no available format. Therefore, I can't do anything with them. Any idea what could have caused this and/or how I can fix it? The books in my other library are fine.
1) you created "empty books' (metadata only) using Add Books. This would be a deliberate action, not accidental.

2) You used 'Removed Formats' to delete those 'Extra/left overs' after a conversion.

What would NOT automatically cause that message, would be using the OS to delete a book. The Database still thinks it is there UNTIL you repair it using Library Maintenance . I would expect a Not Found error if this was done

Bottom line is the DB Knows there are no formats. Someone caused them to go away
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
Your books might still be in your Recyle bin - you may be able to restore them & re-add them
Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Bottom line is the DB Knows there are no formats. Someone caused them to go away
Easy peasy - Select all books, press Alt/Del, select all formats, press Enter. Et voilà, all books have no formats. And no confirmation message dialogue either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizj1 View Post
Your books might still be in your Recyle bin - you may be able to restore them & re-add them
Liz
Yep, if you do the above that's where they'll be - unless if in meantime you emptied it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
maccharl
Enthusiast
maccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaccharl is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks to all of you and karma all around. Of course, I had hoped for better news, but I should be able to download them. Fun Times. Maybe I'll be more careful next time I'm doing something new - it could happen.
maccharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: PC
Similar Situation:"Have No Available Formats"

I discovered a bunch of books in my library with no available formats. They are all within an alphabetical ordered by title swath of books. I have backups for most of them. What's the best way to restore? Since the library is maintained alphabetically by author, it looks as if I'd have to do a book by book search and recover.
TWHanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHanson1 View Post
I discovered a bunch of books in my library with no available formats. They are all within an alphabetical ordered by title swath of books. I have backups for most of them. What's the best way to restore? Since the library is maintained alphabetically by author, it looks as if I'd have to do a book by book search and recover.
First: Preferences: adding books: Adding Actions (tab): tick and SET Auto-merge to ignore incoming duplicate (NB remember what to put it back to afterwards)

Now you just (bulk) Add as normal and calibre should attach those that are needed to those entries.
Do figure out: What caused this issue. NEVER change any file or folder in the Calibre Library using the OS.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
BiJou Po
BiJou Po began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[QUOTE=theducks;3355594]1) you created "empty books' (metadata only) using Add Books. This would be a deliberate action, not accidental.

2) You used 'Removed Formats' to delete those 'Extra/left overs' after a conversion.

I don't recall accidentally doing this but this message just saved my library! Thank you - I discovered today suddenly none of the book data ONLY the covers and an .opf file (except three recent purchases) were in my library now - I thought I had lost everything, but I have a back up of the library - phew. Note: Always Back UP! LOL. thanks for th info though I didn't know what had happened.
BiJou Po is offline   Reply With Quote