Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
RBdigital

I got an email from one of my libraries to say that it's switching away from the audiobook component of Hoopla to RBdigital. I have mixed feelings about this; on the one hand I've still got access to Hoopla through another library (with much fewer borrows), but on the other I like Hoopla's midlist/backlist/classic audiobooks and the email sounds as if RBdigital's offerings are a lot more current/popular. They mention Evanovitch, Koontz and Gabaldon, none of whom interests me.

Can anyone who has access to or uses both compare the audiobook libraries? Just in general terms, of course.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
All of my libraries have dropped Hoopla audiobooks and two of them now use RBdigital. I don't think I've tried it yet.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All of my libraries have dropped Hoopla audiobooks and two of them now use RBdigital. I don't think I've tried it yet.
I've taken a look and I'm not impressed. Fingers crossed FLP doesn't drop Hoopla; it's my go-to source for P.G. Wodehouse audiobooks. And no waiting means that I can listen as the mood strikes me.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
RB Digital (RB is short for Recorded Books) is like OverDrive when it comes to content. It depends on what the library buys.

RB Digital's audiobook availabilty is made up of "over 35,000 titles published by Recorded Books, as well as tens of thousands of premium audiobooks from other major publishers".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My library only has one RB title in which I'm particularly interested (Jane and the Waterloo Map).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm curious, issybird. How have you liked the RBdigital app for audiobooks?

I find the app is slow and sometimes freezes. The app interface was so much better when it was OneClickdigital. I stopped borrowing from their audio catalog when they switched names to RBdigital.

Also interesting is that many libraries use RBdigital for magazines. One of my libraries just abandoned RBdigital and switched to Flipster.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
One of my local libraries switched to this less-than-optimal system...

It appears that the vast majority (at least the vast majority of anything I wanted) of audiobooks on there are "protected". Which gets you a popup stating something to the effect that "Because Microsoft stopped supporting DRM in 2015, you can't download this book".

Which, since my audiobook listening happens in the car when traveling, makes this site far less usable since I can't download the audiobook, put it on a flash drive, and listen to it in the car.

BTW: Two (the only two I've tried) of the books I COULDN'T download from RBdigital, I WAS able to download from a different local library with NO problem, NO disclaimers, NO complaints about something Microsoft supposedly did years ago.

I HOPE none of the other libraries I use switch to this *&^%$# thing.
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've taken a look and I'm not impressed. Fingers crossed FLP doesn't drop Hoopla; it's my go-to source for P.G. Wodehouse audiobooks. And no waiting means that I can listen as the mood strikes me.
Depends on what you are looking for. The science fiction and fantasy selections are limited (as usual), but they have all of John Sandford's Prey novels. In addition, the app hasn't been buggy at all.

My library abandoned Overdrive due to the increased costs. So now it's Cloud Library and RGDigital and then Hennepin County through Libby. Still doesn't help a whole lot for the science fiction and fantasy categories (sans romance), but a larger mystery/crime/thriller selection (barely any UK authors however).

Last edited by Tarana; 09-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. The science fiction and fantasy selections are limited (as usual), but they have all of John Sandford's Prey novels. In addition, the app hasn't been buggy at all.

My library abandoned Overdrive due to the increased costs. So now it's Cloud Library and RGDigital and then Hennepin County through Libby. Still doesn't help a whole lot for the science fiction and fantasy categories (sans romance), but a larger mystery/crime/thriller selection (barely any UK authors however).
I use four libraries and they all have OverDrive, plus two of them also have RBdigital. So far, I've been content with OverDrive and haven't felt the need to explore RBdigital.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The last time I used RB Digital, I could download to my Sansa Clip after registering it. Sounds like they've changed, and not for the better

My local library system dropped Overdrive for new books at one point, in favor of Axis360 and RB Digital, but now they're pretty much back to Overdrive, which is so much better, especially since the waiting lists are consistently quite short compared to those at my other two libraries.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm curious, issybird. How have you liked the RBdigital app for audiobooks?

I find the app is slow and sometimes freezes. The app interface was so much better when it was OneClickdigital. I stopped borrowing from their audio catalog when they switched names to RBdigital.
I know this is ancient, but I just saw it. In any case, I never got around to trying the app until a prolonged spate of insomnia last night, when I started playing around with it to kill time. My short experience of it was fine, but perhaps the bugs have been fixed since your post? My real issue is that they don't have a lot of books I want to hear, but the price is right and I'll root around some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The last time I used RB Digital, I could download to my Sansa Clip after registering it. Sounds like they've changed, and not for the better.
I did some looking around last night and this is because Microsoft no longer supports DRM encryption and not down to RBDigital. I did notice that some books are unprotected, so presumably you could sideload those. Probably not the ones that interest you.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
I don't particularly care if they use Overdrive or rbdigital or something else AS LONG AS IT WORKS. For me, "WORKING" means if they have the audiobook I can DOWNLOAD IT TO A COMPUTER. Not a phone, not a "mobile device", a computer from which I can put it on a flash drive so I can listen to the audiobook in the car while traveling.

It's never been a problem with the library I was using. Now, suddenly, in rbdigital, I get this ridiculous popup claiming I CAN'T download the audiobook because of something Microsoft did 5 years ago.

I contacted rbdigital and their response, predictably, was the the book WASN'T downloadable, THOUGH IT COULD BE DOWNLOADED TO A "MOBILE DEVICE".

At least 80% of the audiobook I attempted to get from the library COULDN'T be downloaded, which makes rbdigital a HUGE step backward.

As for the Cloud Library, same problem. There is NO provision to download ANY audiobook from there. Again, contacted Bibliotecha, who were VERY displeased to have a mere user contact them, and was told that "you can ONLY listen to the audio books online"

This whole DRM BS was old years ago and it's getting stupider.
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

You're rather shouty here; it's not as if any of us are to blame.

For me, so long as I can download an audiobook to an app that works seamlessly enough and has a sleep timer and some speed function (although the more granular, the better), I can live with it. I've got a few cheap non-activated Android phones and really, it's easier just to download a book to the app than it is to download it to the computer and then have to sideload it to a flash drive or player. Plug the phone into my dashboard and there I am. Those with newer cars can use Bluetooth.

I admit that I'm glad apps take up just virtual room, as I feel as if my phone would probably clank with the weight of all those audiobook apps if they had a physical presence. But... I can't get exercised about this. I prefer OverDrive audiobooks when borrowing, as the app is pretty good and I have some use for non-DRMed audiobooks for my waterproof MP3 player. On the other hand, the price is right at RBDigital also and if it's got a book I want to hear, I won't quibble about having to use the app. I'm glad this thread had me look, as while I prefer the selection at Hoopla, I'm working up a wishlist at RBD also.

Still, sometimes ya gotta rant. So rant away, but not with so many caps.