Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #901
MicaOlaAdams
MicaOlaAdams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
@deadman36g

You can add a custom column (Preferences > Add your own columns > Add custom column) to show the GoodreadsID connected with this book with the following settings (s. attachment):

Name and Heading: whatever you like
Column type: Column build from other columns
Template: {identifiers:select(goodreads)}
Sort/Search by: Text

If you shelf is synced, a book which is not linked to Goodreads will have no ID in this column.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreColumnSettings.png
Views:	208
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	152937  
MicaOlaAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #902
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@MicaOlaAdams: If @deadman36g needs to see all books without a Goodreads identifier, there is an easier way. To find all books without a particular id, expand the identifiers section in the tag browser. Clicking on an identifier shows all books with that identifier. Clicking on it again will invert that and show all books without the identifier.

But, it is likely all the books have an identifier. The simplest cause for the problem was that one book was missed when selecting them. It could also be because there is a duplicate book or the two books with the same id. For either of these, the Find Duplicates or Quality Check plugins can probably help with this.

The missing book could be found by syncing the shelf back from Goodreads. Change the configuration to add a different tag, sync the shelf and see what book didn't get the tag. That might not work as there are limits on the number of queries that can be don against Goodreads over a short period of time and this will probably exceed that.

What I would probably do is use the Import List plugin. You can use it to fetch a shelf from Goodreads and then match that list against the library. The book that isn't matched is the one that is not on the shelf.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:26 AM   #903
MicaOlaAdams
MicaOlaAdams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
@davidfor
Ah, I completely forgot that there is a identifier section in the tag browser. THX.
MicaOlaAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #904
PhastReeder
PhastReeder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Is there a way for me to create a calibre column that reflects the goodreads rating? Not my rating, but the overall rating the book has from everyone else on goodreads.

Thanks !!
PhastReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #905
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Goodreads_rating plugin is probably what you want.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #906
alok
alok began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Is there a way to "strongly" associate a tag with a shelf. Say I have these tags "associated" with these shelves:

tag <-> shelf

"want to read" <-> want to read
"currently reading" <-> currently reading
"have read" <-> read

If I add to one of the exclusive shelves, I'd like to remove the tags associated to the other shelves. I can only do this by manually adding "remove value from column", which does not scale well with lots of shelves.
alok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #907
Efreak
Efreak began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7
I'm having an issue with importing some comic books from goodreads to calibre. When I import books such as the Jem and the Holograms series, it doesn't recognize the title or the series number.

I've got screenshots of the import window and links to the goodreads pages below:

Jem and the Holograms - for these titles, I added blank entries for them manually, then linked them, then synced the shelf. These titles have a series entry and number on goodreads. PROBLEM: the series number isn't being recognized correctly. The title is not recognized. I could not automatically create blank entries.

Scarlet Witch #5 and Starfire #11 - these titles did not have a series entry on goodreads at the time of this posting, however I am planning on linking them up as soon as I'm done writing this post. These links are from clicking 'view book on goodreads.com' in the plugin's context menu in the screenshot. PROBLEM: The title is not recognized. I cannot automatically create blank entries.

Efreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #908
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efreak View Post
I'm having an issue with importing some comic books from goodreads to calibre. When I import books such as the Jem and the Holograms series, it doesn't recognize the title or the series number.

I've got screenshots of the import window and links to the goodreads pages below:

Jem and the Holograms - for these titles, I added blank entries for them manually, then linked them, then synced the shelf. These titles have a series entry and number on goodreads. PROBLEM: the series number isn't being recognized correctly. The title is not recognized. I could not automatically create blank entries.

Scarlet Witch #5 and Starfire #11 - these titles did not have a series entry on goodreads at the time of this posting, however I am planning on linking them up as soon as I'm done writing this post. These links are from clicking 'view book on goodreads.com' in the plugin's context menu in the screenshot. PROBLEM: The title is not recognized. I cannot automatically create blank entries.

Sorry, but this is working as designed. The Goodreads sync plugin is not used to fetch the metadata for the book. This is done through the standard metadata download function of calibre. You also need to install the Goodread Metadata Source. This reads the books page and extracts the metadata, including the series info if it is available. That will also set the Goodreads identifier for the book.

You can use the Goodreads Sync plugin to set the identifier. Then you need to use the metadata download to get the full metadata. In this case, the metadata download will use the identifier to get the page rather than doing a search using the title and author. Other than that, it works the same.

My process is:
  1. Add the new book to calibre. I am usually adding a format, but occasionally add an empty book.
  2. Make sure the author and title are correct, or at least close enough that they will match the metadata sources.
  3. Use the metadatata download. I normally do this for a single book and choose the results that match best.
  4. If the metadata source I chose was not Goodreads, then I won't have a good reads identifier. I use Goodreads Sync to find the book and get an identifier.
  5. If the book has multiple editions, use Goodreads Sync to choose the best edition.
  6. Add the book to the appropriate Goodreads shelf. Though I tend to do this when I start reading the book.

I will occasionally do the metadata download step after setting the Goodreads identifier. The Goodreads Sync plugin can show more book choices if the title and author aren't correct. But, I am just as likely to search the site and manually set the identifier before doing the metadata download.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #909
Efreak
Efreak began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but this is working as designed. The Goodreads sync plugin is not used to fetch the metadata for the book. This is done through the standard metadata download function of calibre. You also need to install the Goodread Metadata Source. This reads the books page and extracts the metadata, including the series info if it is available. That will also set the Goodreads identifier for the book.

You can use the Goodreads Sync plugin to set the identifier. Then you need to use the metadata download to get the full metadata. In this case, the metadata download will use the identifier to get the page rather than doing a search using the title and author. Other than that, it works the same.

My process is:
  1. Add the new book to calibre. I am usually adding a format, but occasionally add an empty book.
  2. Make sure the author and title are correct, or at least close enough that they will match the metadata sources.
  3. Use the metadatata download. I normally do this for a single book and choose the results that match best.
  4. If the metadata source I chose was not Goodreads, then I won't have a good reads identifier. I use Goodreads Sync to find the book and get an identifier.
  5. If the book has multiple editions, use Goodreads Sync to choose the best edition.
  6. Add the book to the appropriate Goodreads shelf. Though I tend to do this when I start reading the book.

I will occasionally do the metadata download step after setting the Goodreads identifier. The Goodreads Sync plugin can show more book choices if the title and author aren't correct. But, I am just as likely to search the site and manually set the identifier before doing the metadata download.
I am not fetching metadata. I am syncing from the goodreads shelf and having it create empty entries for non-existing books. I do not care about metadata like publisher, date, etc--just the name and author that are usually pulled in by the sync plugin when creating a new entry. There are no actual book files in this library; I only use it to track other books that I'm currently reading. When I sync from the shelf, it doesn't wasn't importing an entry at all, instead it was giving me an error and refusing to import that entry. You can see most of what I'm talking about here. However, having updated Calibre since the original post, it seems to be adding the entry and setting the title to Unknown (as you can see in the video), which is good enough for me. That could/should probably be fixed, but it doesn't break the plugin anymore, so my issue I guess is fixed somehow by Calibre itself?
Efreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #910
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efreak View Post
I am not fetching metadata. I am syncing from the goodreads shelf and having it create empty entries for non-existing books. I do not care about metadata like publisher, date, etc--just the name and author that are usually pulled in by the sync plugin when creating a new entry. There are no actual book files in this library; I only use it to track other books that I'm currently reading. When I sync from the shelf, it doesn't wasn't importing an entry at all, instead it was giving me an error and refusing to import that entry. You can see most of what I'm talking about here. However, having updated Calibre since the original post, it seems to be adding the entry and setting the title to Unknown (as you can see in the video), which is good enough for me. That could/should probably be fixed, but it doesn't break the plugin anymore, so my issue I guess is fixed somehow by Calibre itself?
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you were doing. It should have the title. I'll have a look at it, but it might not be until next year.

Also, if you actually see an error message, it is a good idea to mention it and post the details. There is a lot of difference between "it didn't do what I expected" and "It didn't do what I expected and displayed an error".

And is the series number be recognise properly now? If not, how is it wrong?
Old 12-22-2016, 02:30 AM   #911
nellenaz
nellenaz began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung tablet
My goodreads links dissapeared

Somehow When I sync to my "read in 2016" Shelf now half of my "goodreads links" are missing and they don't stay when I try to re-link. Anyone else having this issue?
nellenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #912
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellenaz View Post
Somehow When I sync to my "read in 2016" Shelf now half of my "goodreads links" are missing and they don't stay when I try to re-link. Anyone else having this issue?
Sorry, are you syncing from Goodreads to calibre or the other way? I use the add to goodreads shelf all the time with no problems. I don't do the sync to calibre much, but my testing today hasn't found any problems. Do you have any actions when syncing this shelf?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #913
DouglasK
DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Onyx Note Air3, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7 (2013)
Error on search in "Link to Goodreads"

When linking a new book to Goodreads, if I click on the "Search Goodreads.com" button, I receive the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 2.75.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

calibre 2.75.1  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-57-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-57-generic', '#78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:50:32 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 2, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 4, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 9, 0) && Kobo Books (1, 1, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 8, 2) && Goodreads (1, 1, 11)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1046, in search_on_goodreads
TypeError: QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'
As you can see I'm running in Ubuntu linux, version is 16.04.

From reading the thread, I suspect it's similar to the Mac issue with the same error, just under Linux. I understand that Kovid added a Mac specific workaround... I'm guessing that enabling the same workaround for Linux would fix the issue.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help.

Regards and thanks for an awesome plugin,
Douglas
DouglasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #914
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasK View Post
When linking a new book to Goodreads, if I click on the "Search Goodreads.com" button, I receive the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 2.75.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'

calibre 2.75.1  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-57-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-57-generic', '#78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:50:32 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 2, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 4, 1) && Goodreads Sync (1, 9, 0) && Kobo Books (1, 1, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 8, 2) && Goodreads (1, 1, 11)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1046, in search_on_goodreads
TypeError: QUrl.fromEncoded(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'unicode'
As you can see I'm running in Ubuntu linux, version is 16.04.

From reading the thread, I suspect it's similar to the Mac issue with the same error, just under Linux. I understand that Kovid added a Mac specific workaround... I'm guessing that enabling the same workaround for Linux would fix the issue.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help.
That has been fixed in the beta posted a few months ago. You can get if from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48#post3389148.

I had completely forgotten about that beta. As I can't see any complaints, I'll arrange for it to be released properly.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #915
Alissa1651
Enthusiast
Alissa1651 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iOS
problem solved. Unable to delete the post.

Last edited by Alissa1651; 01-01-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Alissa1651 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads