Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I know about that device, but, to the best of my knowledge, screens with a plastic substrate aren't currently available, hence no device can use one.
Depends on what you mean by device. The Sony is available for sale right now:
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/So...enkwrd=3582492

It doesn't do epub or mobi but it does do pdf so academics pining for large format eink can use it.

The screens are available to any manufacturer willing to order them in a big enough lot to justify setting up the assembly line. It's just that only Sony and Pocketbook have identified markets where the substrate pays off (large portable document viewers).

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #62
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Wexler Flex One.
Wexler is an OEM supplier of computer related stuff from Russia. They manufactured a reader a few years ago.
I do not know what happened - it disappeared the after they hit the market.
One on-line store that specializes in e-ink readers in neighboring country even had a few demo units and then ... Nothing. They refused to tell me (even privately) what happened.
Wow! That is quite possibly the dumbest (and also the cutest) thing I have ever seen! I want one! It's almost too good to be true!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #63
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
All these devices have to be bought online, so it doesn't really matter where the store is based. You're very unlikely to find a device of that nature in a physical store, no matter what country you live in.
Buying online from another country has it's problems. I bought a couple of memory cards for an HP48 from a German company back in the days before Flash memory. One of the cards was defective and even though the company was very willing to replace it, the cost of returning it, with all the customs and taxing issues made it too expensive, so I threw a fairly expensive card in the trash.

This wasn't anyone's fault. The company tried to be helpful and they did their best. Since then I've been very leery of buying from remote countries. I've bought some things from China but always they were cheap enough that if they were defective I wouldn't feel bad about tossing them. And that has happened a couple of times.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes, I know about that device, but, to the best of my knowledge, screens with a plastic substrate aren't currently available, hence no device can use one.
E-Ink manufactures displays with a flexible substrate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #65
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Shipping and import taxes and the cost of returns in the event of device failure present an effective barrier to the majority of consumers.
I bought my T68 from Amazon--no shipping or import tax. If it had been defective, then there would have been no cost to return.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...oox&pldnSite=1

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Some pretty great specs listed, and if anybody knows what would make a good reader, i guess these guys would... Here's the link: http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...imate-e-reader

What I'd really love to see is that beautiful, flush screen that the Voyage has where the text kind of looks like it's 'floating' on the screen... The kobo glo hd and the PW3 appear to be missing that feature which makes me think that it's not easily repeatable... If it comes equipped with a similarly beautiful display, I'm hooked!

Thoughts?
Crowd-funding or crowd-fleecing? Seems like the vast majority of crowd-funding projects never materialize. You might as well invest in snake oil, buy swamp land, invest in a cryogenics container for when you die....
Old 10-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When GoodEReader does video reviews of Kobo vs. Kindle, they don't bother to show off the Kobo in it's best light. They use very poor settings and in a lot of the time, left justified. They don't do proper comparisons and they spend way too long focusing on things like PDF and all that can/cannot be done. They ignore the feature set, they don't show the lighting properly.

In short, they botch up most of their video reviews. When they review Kobo, they try their best to make the Kobo look bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #68
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I check out GoodEreaders website from time to time,more so lately as i'm impatient to find out what the kindle voyage 2 might offer and when i saw the headline 'ultimate ebook reader' i got so excited....then the FALL.

Judging from most replies on this forum and polls GoodEreader has conducted themselves it's evident what people want most of all is a larger than 6" reader...and they go with a 6" screen??

They also posted many articles describing the huge benefits freescale's i.mx 7 cpu is going to bring to ereaders,especially android based ones...and the 'ultimate ebook reader' uses the bog standard i.mx 6 solo...

Can't help but feeling they would of been better off waiting another year when the i.mx 7 is out and they would of had plenty of time to mess around with the SDK and had given other Android Ereaders a run for their money.

In any case weather or not they get the funds or not it can only have a positive effect on the industry...if they do come out with a product and sell a decent amount of units it will only force others to improve and come out with new products and if they fail to get the amount needed then they should reconsider what people really want in an ereader and maybe try to start another project next year if possible.

Or maybe amazon will surprise us with a more robust voyage 2
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #69
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I wish people would focus on hardware a bit less and spend a little more time making software readers for Android that work correctly and follow the dang EPUB standard.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #70
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
All these devices have to be bought online, so it doesn't really matter where the store is based. You're very unlikely to find a device of that nature in a physical store, no matter what country you live in.
It matters if it's an Icarus device - their website prices have VAT included. I don't have to pay VAT in the US so it's a rip off for me. I've seen others that said they won't remove the VAT when shipping to the US.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #71
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I bought my T68 from Amazon--no shipping or import tax. If it had been defective, then there would have been no cost to return.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...oox&pldnSite=1

Shari
That's where I bought mine and it had so many defects I was glad for the easy return.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #72
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Moon+ works pretty well on eInk devices. Some of the config menus are not easy to use (they display as "white on white"), but the actual reading experience is very good.
I don't think that problem still exists since they updated to Google's Material design a while back.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #73
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I would love an Android eink with 300 ppi, but not this one. It's only Android 4.04, only 512 MB RAM, no Google Play, and it has an IR touchscreen. Can you do a long press with IR or multi-touch?

Even without all of the above, I would never buy something that Goodereader designed. I would be afraid it would be worse quality control than Onyx if the quality of their blog is any indication.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can you do a long press with IR or multi-touch?
Yes, you can do a long press with IR. The Kobo uses a long press for starting highlighting/dictionary lookup using IR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #75
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Reading through the comments i couldn't understand the hate towards GoodEreader then i read something in his post "It critically important to us that we feature hardware that has never seen before on a commercial e-reader. The Ultimate e-reader is the first device ever, that leverages the Freescale 1 GHZ processor,"

Obviously a blatant lie as most ereaders use the i.mx 6 solo....
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad