Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex listens to us and opens up its specs! Flashing soon possible.

Alright iLiad fans, we've got some good news for you. Fresh into our tattle box, an iRex insider tips us to the fact that soon you'll be able to perform your own software updates from flash images stored on CF card. Especially those of you with bricked iLiad devices will appreciate all the merit contained in this.

The second good news is that iRex means to open the specs of its iDS protocol, you know, the protocol which defines how the iLiad communicates with the iRex server (also see recent controversy). This could enable features such as:
  • Content downloading directly to the other devices;
  • The possibility of developing applications that push content from your PC to the iLiad (which could be useful e.g. if your iRex is not connected to the Net);
  • Sharing documents between different devices and users.

ETA: sometime around October/November, together with the formal launch of the SDK.

Excited? I can barely contain myself. Props to iRex for listening to its customers and reading our forums.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
verbosus
Unicoder
verbosus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
This is very cool! The only thing is that I wished the SDK would have been released earlier (they talked about September at some point, but now it’s been pushed until November), oh well.

Rejoyce! :-)
verbosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Wink

Well, Irex and unexpected delays, that's really something new
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Real good news. For the iDS would be good that the provide something to changing the iDS Server IP, so you can select different content providers.
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
yay get a 3rd party to brick your iliad o/
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Nice!

So this really mean (compare discussions on Irexforum) that developers will be able to go beyond creating viewer applications?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
let's hope it does R2...

But I think it's good news and we should be happy about it...I guess the delay is due to the unfinished software. Maybe iRex wants to make sure the software is really final before giving out stuff to devs so that the software that is written for the Iliad will really work and not have to be rewrittene very two weeks when the next bugfix appears.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
No offense but I'll get excited when I see the press release announcing this (hopefully after it downloads into my iLiad via iDS.)

For a company planning on being "open" they sure could have saved themselves some development time by simply opening up earlier. I would have happily helped make the unit brick proof, WPA2'd the WLAN, heavily optimized xpdf and done yeomen service on ContentLister.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
That's really great.

Kudos to iRex for doing this.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
No offense but I'll get excited when I see the press release announcing this (hopefully after it downloads into my iLiad via iDS.)
http://developer.irexnet.com/home
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
astfgl
astfgl began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad & REB1100
This won't help bricked units

Read the release carefully, it only says that upgrades will be possible from a CF card. This will not allow the bootloader to get a initial flash image from the CF card, just the normal update packages which would be downloaded from IDS.

If your unit is hung in the boot process, and the update check from the CF card is before that point, you might recover that way if the update happens to replace the part of the boot process which is hanging you. I doubt most of us would be that lucky. :-(

A properly bricked unit is still bricked, until we get access to JTAG or the bootloader over serial/USB.

Of course, I'll be very pleased(and amazed) if iRex pushed through an upgrade which makes the bootloader CF-aware. :-)
astfgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

http://developer.irexnet.com/
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is there a reason why you guys are posting the same link every two posts?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I've read the release, I'm not impressed.

This will enable developers to pull content from iDS for transfer to other devices or to the iLiad via a PC? What content? What is there to pull from iDS? I don't want to write software to pull content, I want to write software to push content!

The CF upgrade will hopefully be bootloader based so it can recover non-bootable iLiads. I think the release date for it is a bit late, this capability should have been in the units from the beginning. Especially with the beta software they're packing.

My repair box is in Kentucky, scheduled arrival is Monday. My Wife and I are both using our portable devices plugged into the wall now. I'm on my tethered iLiad and she's got one of the 12" Powerbooks that Apple says to yank the battery out of. Sometimes this portable technology really bites.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
cervezas
palm & java hacker
cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Visor, T3, i500, iQue ...
The other thing that no one has mentioned is that if you want to write software other than a new viewer you have to pay iRex for the right:
iRex will release two versions of the SDK:

* We will offer a development tool environment at no cost to our iLiad users that will suffice for most development needs. Developers can connect to the iLiad using a SSH connection over TCP/IP and logon to a development account where they can add additional executables (format viewers) on the iLiad. More details about this SDK will be announced in the coming period and is expected to be available in September/October.
* In addition we also offer an extended SDK with direct iRex support which will come at a cost, for companies that are in need for a full development support tool. Next to a specially prepared iLiad the SDK contains a professional JTAG probe allowing advanced debug options and a full engineering staff is available for technical support. For more information on the extended SDK please contact us at info@iRexTechnologies.com.
cervezas is offline   Reply With Quote