Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #91
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Did notice one bug though...
Say you setup the brightness manually to 20%, then swipe up to 100%. When you open the icon for manual setup the number is still at 20% and clicking down will bring the brightness down to 19% from the 100% on screen.
Not sure how it worked on previous firmwares.
I just tried this a couple of times on my H2O with 4.8.11073. The bug you mention doesn't occur. The brightness at the icon says 100, as expected, and clicking down will drop it to 99%.

(That said, 4.8.11073 exhibits lighting flakiness of its own. As best I recall, I didn't notice the flakiness at an earlier firmware version. Just can't remember what version that was.)
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #92
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bug: disable header in reading settings. Now whenever you open reading settings and exit it, the "x" button in the top right corner stays on the screen even when flipping pages. Very annoying.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #93
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Bug: disable header in reading settings. Now whenever you open reading settings and exit it, the "x" button in the top right corner stays on the screen even when flipping pages. Very annoying.
Are you observing this on a Forma? The only time I was able t reproduce similar bugs was when I had sideloaded this firmware on the A1.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #94
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Are you observing this on a Forma? The only time I was able t reproduce similar bugs was when I had sideloaded this firmware on the A1.
I am not the OP but I have a Forma and can reproduce the problem, the X does remain as a ghosted image at the top right of the screen when I follow the steps the OP documented. A screen refresh is needed to clear the X.
On my KA1 (FW 4.10.11655) if I have an issue like this I can just tap on the screen to bring up the menu and then tap again does a screen refresh, on the Forma no screen refresh is done when following those steps.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #95
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I just installed on my Aura One. So far no problems. I patched it to enable rotation. The rotation and full-screen options are great additions.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It isn't happening here on any of my devices. When I close the reading settings, the top bar is still displayed and the search icon overwrites the x. I have seen a ghost of the x stay, but not recently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #97
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It does annoy me that the Forma does not refresh the screen when you open/close the menu. I *do* see a difference, but now I have to change page, (or flip around) to get a screen refresh.

I always use a 1 page refresh setting.. that's probably why I never noticed anything resembling a persistent ghost X
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #98
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It isn't happening here on any of my devices. When I close the reading settings, the top bar is still displayed and the search icon overwrites the x. I have seen a ghost of the x stay, but not recently.
I can reproduce this issue by

1) open document
2) open Reading Settings from "3 dots" menu
3) use the X button to exit out of Reading Settings
4) X button "ghost" remains drawn under top bar, and if headers are disabled then it will remain on the screen after top bar is dismissed (and until screen refresh)

this is on the Kobo Forma.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #99
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

1) open document
4) X button "ghost" remains drawn under top bar, and if headers are disabled then it will remain on the screen after top bar is dismissed (and until screen refresh)

It doen't happen at Kobo Aura Ed 2 with refresh every page.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #100
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

1) open document

I can reproduce this on my nice new Forma as well. Looks like Kobo is handling the refresh differently on it to the other devices.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #101
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
... my nice new Forma ...
Is your wife preparing a hostile take-over bid yet?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #102
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is your wife preparing a hostile take-over bid yet?
She hasn't seen it yet. And it won't be a "hostile take-over bid", just a take-over

Of course, the plan is to use it for a week or so, then let her try it. And I'll probably try the Aura ONE again. But, I suspect there will be another Forma bought before Christmas.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #103
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
And it won't be a "hostile take-over bid", just a take-over
Bloodless coups are much more civilised
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not loading the OS is not what you are doing when you install just the KoboRoot.tgz. It doesn't include the kernel, but, it includes a lot of files that are effectively part of the OS. And, the risk of installing any of the new upgrade packages on the older devices is very low. In older firmware, it was a problem. But, the update script now does more checking of the contents of the "update" directory and only installs the files appropriate for the current device. Going the other way, using the Touch package on a Clara HD, might be a problem.

Also, updating over to much of a gap is probably not going to work. Updating a Touch running the factory firmware with 4.11.11980 isn't likely to work. But, letting the Touch update to the latest official release and then installing the Mark7 4.11.11980 package will.

And for the drivers and similar included in the KoboRoot.tgz that are different, it won't remove any that are needed. It will mean extra files that are never used are on the device and some aren't updated.
I know I still have to install the latest official firmware for my H2O. So what should I do from there. Should I install KoboRoot.tgz as is or should I remove anything from that before installing?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #105
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Should I install KoboRoot.tgz as is or should I remove anything from that before installing?
Install the tgz as is, no need to editing the file.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote